Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West of Scotland / Outer Hebrides road trip in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a trip Aberdeenshire to Lochinver, on the West coast, yesterday just to celibrate our new ability to travel farther than 5 miles. I found the best website with the most accurate infomation on chargers was Chargeplacescotlands
Live Map - ChargePlace Scotland
I found that the Zap map and ABRP didn't have the most up to date info on them.
366 miles in 12 hours. The best Wh/mi rate I saw was -320 just after a stop at the viewpoint at Struie where we saw the sea eagles soaring. on the return the Lecht was interesting. I've never been in a car that didn't start to run out of puff halfway up and end up in 3rd or 2nd at the top.. the M3 steamed up there doing 60 easily and we saw another greater that -300 on the energy display. We couldn't see the actual figure as we hadn't stopped at the top but we got home after a 187 mile drive with an average of 242 wh/mi at 14C.
Didn't see another Tesla the whole way. But I did See a nice Green Mclaren who passed us a couple of times
The Lecht.jpg

Left Oxfordshire for trip to East Coast of Scotland via Charnock Richard,Gretna (Unplanned stop due to traffic),Eurocentral (Charged to 90%) and arrived in Fife with over 200 miles in tank for running about golfing....So nice to get out and be first in Holiday Lodge since lockdown...Can’t wait for my cancelled west coast journey Next year.

View attachment 562400

Welcome to my home county! Not sure where you are in Fife but the 50kW chargers at the Halbeath P&R work well and are currently free despite what the signs on them say.

Reactions: CMc1
Welcome to my home county! Not sure where you are in Fife but the 50kW chargers at the Halbeath P&R work well and are currently free despite what the signs on them say.

Thank you..I am at St Andrews/Crail And been blessed with great weather .. There are destination chargers at Fairmont hotel and loads to choose from in St Andrews..Using the 3 pin to just trickle charge from our lodge..Fabulous.

I did Glasgow Skye and back in October Fast Chargers in Fort William and on Skye defo buy a Chargeplace Scotland Card for £20 it'll pay for itself on your first Charge. Use Zap Map to find other Fast Chargers and take your 3 Pin Cable as backup or for use at Relatives gets you100 Miles Overnight so quite helpful. There are Superchargers in Motherwell just outside of Glasgow which are little used no queue ever and also useful others in Aviemore which might be helpful, enjoy your Trip !
Hi I am wanting to do this trip as far north as Thurso. Does the “charge your car” card work. It seems to say that on websites but not sure. For the charge Scotland chargers. thank you.

Thank you..I am at St Andrews/Crail And been blessed with great weather .. There are destination chargers at Fairmont hotel and loads to choose from in St Andrews..Using the 3 pin to just trickle charge from our lodge..Fabulous.

Just back from a week in St Andrews and we used the CPS chargers in one of the (deserted) university car parks, just a couple of minutes' walk from the town centre. There's also a Tesla supercharger just 20 minutes away in Dundee.

Really interesting input on this thread, thanks all. We decided to play it safe and adjust our trip a bit. A week in the Scottish Borders so we can visit family, then up to Loch Tay for a week in a lodge at a site with destination chargers on site. Although this change was also based on availability of accommodation given the number of people opting for a staycation this summer, for obvious reasons. Looking forward to the trip, will plan for a west coast journey next time.

Left Oxfordshire for trip to East Coast of Scotland via Charnock Richard,Gretna (Unplanned stop due to traffic),Eurocentral (Charged to 90%) and arrived in Fife with over 200 miles in tank for running about golfing....So nice to get out and be first in Holiday Lodge since lockdown...Can’t wait for my cancelled west coast journey Next year.

View attachment 562400

Where exactly is that? Looks great.

Our trip to Scotland started off with a glitch. For the first time in almost a year of ownership our home Andersen charger decided that it wanted to trip the fuse, so I woke up to a car with 40% charge rather than 100% ready for departure. So much for planning :rolleyes:

Eventual drive up was a breeze though, stopped at Keele and Gretna superchargers for a charge and a coffee. Been up here for a few days now and have used the Chargeplace Scotland free charger in Hawick a couple of times. Free is good but it’s pretty slow, certainly not the 50 KW/h suggested, it drops to about 16 for some reason. Chatted with a couple of fellow owners also using the Hawick charger, generally very positive reviews of the Chargeplace Scotland network.

Anyway, enjoying our delightful staycation bolthole in the beautiful Scottish Borders.

AACD02C8-E73C-4056-BDA9-0ABC28B3B83D.jpeg

After a day of breathing scenery we arrived on Skye and drove right up to the top of the island .
Interesting comment in that when we reached Broadford we put the car on charge.CCS not working but type two ok..Went to the coop to pick up some provisions before heading off ,and noticed at the next door petrol station it was closed ..NO FUEL..
I saw a few very disgruntled drivers unable to refuel...Hmmmm?

got back to car ,unplugged and off...Brilliant..Really felt for one lady in Discovery that was empty ,and heard her sat in car asking what to do.

2B371E1B-8166-419D-92F5-FE8B719497B1.jpeg

E2C63DB5-FD16-4920-9FE9-F265BA1A830E.jpeg