Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Texas superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
Just drove through West Texas on both I-10 and I-20 in the last week and just wanted to post an update with some good news. They are all working well with the expected amount of kW and no random weird fluctuations. The last time I went through here a few months ago the charge rate at Van Horn was super slow, Midland would spike up to 100kW and then crash back down to 20kW or sometimes even 0. I'm going from memory but I believe I also had some problems at Sweetwater, Cisco and Junction. And of course Pecos and Fort Stockton didn't even exist back then. So things have improved greatly in this area.

Only a few small negatives to report:

-The two stalls closest to the freeway in Van Horn are still down. This has been the case for almost a year now. As long as the other 6 stalls keep working well, that should probably suffice in this low traffic area for now, but would be nice if they went out and fixed them!

-Stall occupancy in the Nav is inaccurate. This has been an issue all over the country, but has gotten better in general recently. Pecos and Fort Stockton in particular seemed to always show as being half full when no one was there.

-I experienced some aggressive ICEing at Sweetwater. I posted about it in the Sweetwater thread. Supercharger - Sweetwater, Texas

-The rude signs from the hotel management in Ozona are still up. Now that Fort Stockton is open, this is now just a quick top-off stop. I'll spend my time and money at other supercharger locations.

Overall it was a fairly painless trip across this vast region, other than the loss to the Cowboys of course :-( I reccommend the moist brisket at Rudy's in El Paso with just salt and pepper. Tried the same at Coopers in Junction and didn't think it was quite as good but still worth a visit in my opinion. Especially since there's little else to do in Junction. They do have a nice outdoor seating area out back if the weather is nice. I don't want to bore you guys with too many details, but feel free to ask any questions if you are curious about making this trip.

I reccommend the moist brisket at Rudy's in El Paso with just salt and pepper. Tried the same at Coopers in Junction and didn't think it was quite as good but still worth a visit in my opinion.
Coopers, at my request, cut off from the leaner tip, because I'm watching my girlish figure :), and I found it still very pliable and not overcooked or dried out. Also went sauceless. Well worth dropping in for a leisurely refill if you're anywhere near empty yourself, as you say not a lot else around at the chargers. If El Paso is better brisket still that'd be something.

Also had a rib with it (look, it was a smaller bit of brisket :p ). Tried their house sauce on the rib, "meh". As preferences differ, be aware Coopers definitely cook their ribs to traditional level rather than "fall off bone". (I don't know about El Paso but the Rudy's I have been to do the longer cook). The rib was definitely quality but when stopping again I'll probably stick with just the brisket, as the brisket was that good. Or maybe try splitting a plate with a sausage link, which I didn't try.

Reactions: MrAntonius
Coopers, at my request, cut off from the leaner tip, because I'm watching my girlish figure :), and I found it still very pliable and not overcooked or dried out. Also went sauceless. Well worth dropping in for a leisurely refill if you're anywhere near empty yourself, as you say not a lot else around at the chargers. If El Paso is better brisket still that'd be something.

Also had a rib with it (look, it was a smaller bit of brisket :p ). Tried their house sauce on the rib, "meh". As preferences differ, be aware Coopers definitely cook their ribs to traditional level rather than "fall off bone". (I don't know about El Paso but the Rudy's I have been to do the longer cook). The rib was definitely quality but when stopping again I'll probably stick with just the brisket, as the brisket was that good. Or maybe try splitting a plate with a sausage link, which I didn't try.
I do try the sauces at each place, but I generally prefer just salt and pepper, especially for the brisket. Coopers sauce was kind of interesting. It was kind of runny and vinegary but not in a bad way. My general strategy with the BBQ places is to load up on meat and little else. I'm not a huge fan of the sides and if I eat them along with the meat it starts to feel like a gut bomb. Even if it's not meal time, I'll usually go for a snack of 8 oz of brisket if I have to stop at these places and charge. Of course I don't get the chance to eat BBQ very often living in Seattle so that's my excuse :) I also prefer the Texas style to any of the others I've tried (KC, NC, etc.). Blacks in Lockhart has been my favorite thus far.