Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Virginia Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would make a thread, I know there aren't too many planned for this state thus far. There is one online that is outside of Wheeling, and then looks like two more planned, one in Charleston, WV and what I can only assume would be Morgantown, WV.

I am mostly posting this because as I was flipping through the progress bar on the Supercharger site, I noticed that they moved the Morgantown dot from 2014 to 2015... Which is, unfortunate... I really would like this to come online since I can't drive to my parent's place until it does... (Well, technically I could right now, but I would have to drive out of my way north into PA and over into OH and then south... no thanks.)

Anyway, Charleston is on the Coming soon, anyone live near there to find out the status?

Reactions: OregonHill
I live in Charleston. The Cincinnati store confirmed this week for me that we are expected to go live this year. That said, I have not found out where it is going. A few months back I heard a rumor that a local political family was placing the charger in a new shopping center they are building, however, I do not know where this may be. I'll post back here if and when I hear anything else. In the meantime, I have a 80amp HPWC at my home which is near downtown and highway splits, I am listed on plugshare and happy to help travellers through this part of the country, full charge in about 4 hours if you have dual chargers. Morgantown does have a really nice set of free Eaton J1772 in downtown at the farmer's market along with a super friendly Mitsubishi dealer, have used as well if you can make your plans work to use them.

I feel this state also needs a charger in Beckley, would be great at the Tamarack, I have emailed Tesla this site, encourage you to do the same. Would also like to see Wytheville, VA come onto the map, would enable north-south I-77 and east-west I-81. I have driven down I-77 from here and you just cannot make the planned Charlotte SC without driving very slow, Burlington, NC is also a stretch. Need either Beckley or Wytheville. The terrain in WV is an absoute killer at highway speeds, say nothing for weather or wind.

Thanks for starting the thread.

I emailed them about morgantown and they said that it was moved back to 2015 due to delays they have had at that site. Very nonspecific but they said that they pushed it back in order to better set expectations.

I have also hit them up regarding both of those cities a month or two back, so it is nice to see we are both on the same page there. WV and the west side of VA are pretty desolate even with the 2015 map taken into consideration.

Well here we are April 2016

Any updates on Charleston, WV??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 85
Thanks for resurrecting the West Virginia Supercharger thread. There are four pins in WV on the 2016 map. Based on the fact that some of the recent Superchargers have been placed at hotels near the intersection of Interstate Highways, I looked for possible places on Google Maps. These are purely my speculation.

Morgantown, WV I-68 & I-79 SpringHill Suites map link
Weston, WV - Holiday Inn and Suites map link
Charleston, WV I-64, I-77 & I-79
Beckley, WV I-77 & I-64 Holiday Inn and Suites map link or Hampton Inn map link

Thanks for resurrecting the West Virginia Supercharger thread. There are four pins in WV on the 2016 map. Based on the fact that some of the recent Superchargers have been placed at hotels near the intersection of Interstate Highways, I looked for possible places on Google Maps. These are purely my speculation.

Morgantown, WV I-68 & I-79 SpringHill Suites map link
Weston, WV - Holiday Inn and Suites map link
Charleston, WV I-64, I-77 & I-79
Beckley, WV I-77 & I-64 Holiday Inn and Suites map link or Hampton Inn map link

What are the chances that they might pick the Morgantown Mall or the Town Center Shopping area? Both are North on 79.

I agree that it does look like the one you listed has the best condensed amount of food places and hotels in the area, but they have also been known to go with shopping areas as well.

As for the state (as in state of affairs... Not state as in of the United States) of WV in general it is really odd to me that both Charleston and Morgantown were originally for 2014 and they even had Charleston listed as "coming soon"... They must be having some serious issues with this state.

What are the chances that they might pick the Morgantown Mall or the Town Center Shopping area? Both are North on 79.

I agree that it does look like the one you listed has the best condensed amount of food places and hotels in the area, but they have also been known to go with shopping areas as well.

As for the state (as in state of affairs... Not state as in of the United States) of WV in general it is really odd to me that both Charleston and Morgantown were originally for 2014 and they even had Charleston listed as "coming soon"... They must be having some serious issues with this state.
Well, it is Coal Country. I have seen Teslas in/around Charleston WV though, so there is still some hope ;)

Reactions: OregonHill
I've not called the Nissan dealers in Charleston WV yet...wondering if they have ChadeMo chargers...I have an adapter for my MS...looks like that's the only way I can day trip from Richmond VA and Lexington KY...using Lexington VA supercharger and Nissan dealership in Charleston. Otherwise it's an overnight @TheGreenbrier ;-$

I would love to see one in Charleston, WV. We drive a couple of times a year Raleigh -> Michigan and that is just where we need one to make it not take an extra 200 miles.

Exactly. A SC in Charleston would shave almost 3 hours off the Ohio to South Carolina trip. Terre Haute was huge for us going that direction, big thanks to the SC team for getting every stop along I-70 down to less than 100 miles between SC's.

I live in Cincinnati and have some friends in Scott Depot WVA and a Charleston Supercharger would allow me to visit.

Lexington, KY Supercharger to a natural site in Charleston, WV is 169 miles.
Charleston, WV is at I-64/I-77 Intersection, and very close to the start of I-79, so Tesla will definitely want one there.
But it's too big a gap not to have something in between.
Doesn't appear that there are too many obvious locations
Maybe Ceredo, WV, Grayson, KY, Cattlesburg, KY (nothing much but a Ramada Inn), or even Ashland, KY.
Cattlesburg, KY and Ashland, KY are both on I-23, which supposedly is the route I-74 should take if it ever gets built.

Lexington, KY Supercharger to a natural site in Charleston, WV is 169 miles.
Charleston, WV is at I-64/I-77 Intersection, and very close to the start of I-79, so Tesla will definitely want one there.
But it's too big a gap not to have something in between.
Doesn't appear that there are too many obvious locations
Maybe Ceredo, WV, Grayson, KY, Cattlesburg, KY (nothing much but a Ramada Inn), or even Ashland, KY.
Cattlesburg, KY and Ashland, KY are both on I-23, which supposedly is the route I-74 should take if it ever gets built.

Is Huntington a good half-way point between Lexington and Charleston? Not just by measure of distance, but also things to do?

Is Huntington a good half-way point between Lexington and Charleston? Not just by measure of distance, but also things to do?

No idea about stuff to do. I was looking on a map for decent locations, taking into account overall connections.
Exit 15 to the east of Huntington has a shopping area, about 125 miles from Lexington, KY, and to the east is Huntington Mall in Barboursville, WV, 131 miles away. I was thinking a bit more to the west for better US numbered highway connections and a shorter distance.