Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West Virginia Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2013.
Nov 12, 2014
Mentor, Ohio
Anyone see any supercharger activity in WV? My frequent trips to western NC from Cleveland are presently rather round about.

The latest will entail running down the east coast, then driving across the state. Returning with a swing further west; then up through Kentucky to Cleveland via Cincy.

I-77 would be so much better.

Permits for Charleston, WV?

Reactions: OregonHill
Our trips are the same way. Trying to get from Ohio to South Carolina. We've tried all the options over the years. The first started with I-75 to Knoxville, then cut-over to Charlotte with an overnight stay in NC, then continue down I-77 to SC. Second option was I-75 down to Atlanta then I-20 across, ouch. And the latest was I-75 down to Knoxville to Ashville to Greenville to Santee to Savannah.

As you can see, it just keeps getting better and better as Tesla brings more chargers online. Each time they expand the network down there, it's at least an hour saved. Now we are really excited for Charleston, WV since that means we can do I-77 to 95/26 and basically shave the last 2-3hrs off the trip.

The supercharger network is awesome and probably the most recognized/best thing about Tesla right now.

While we continue to wait for SC in Charleston, WV here's some good news from their beautiful state parks

WV State Parks to Offer Charging Stations
HINTON — West Virginia’s State Parks system is revving up to offer electric car drivers more reason to stop at some of the state’s natural wonders.

Working with the West Virginia Division of Energy, the state’s park system received a grant through the United States Department of Energy to provide electric car charging stations at all of the lodged state parks in West Virginia.

“This is a cool opportunity for West Virginia State Parks,” said Paul Redford, district administrator for the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation.

Redford said electric car drivers can plug in at West Virginia State Parks to unplug in nature.

“We may be on the lead front of this,” Redford said, adding that only California has a statewide program like this, with some scattered parks in Michigan and Washington, D.C. that feature charging stations.

“We will be the first state with all of its lodge parks to be hooked up with the stations,” said Bill Davis, director of the National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium at West Virginia University.

Offering these electric car charging stations at all of West Virginia’s state parks that have a lodge will hopefully draw more people traveling through West Virginia to its parks.

“There are not a lot of other states that have this many interstate systems running through it,” Redford said. “We are sitting in an area perfect for more electric car stations.”

Redford said this new program for the state’s parks aligns perfectly with the agency’s mission statement to “promote conservation by preserving and protecting natural areas of unique or exceptional scenic, scientific, cultural, archaeological or historical significance and to provide outdoor recreational opportunities for the citizens of this state and its visitors.”

“We’re trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible,” Redford said. “We are doing our part to reduce emissions and solid waste.”

The electric car charging stations will also help further to market and to promote the park system in the state, Redford said.

“We have a big Canada following,” Redford said. “People visit us from Pittsburgh and Ohio cities. We have a big D.C. following as well. The park systems in other states like Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania can’t hold a candle to our park system.”

This new offering will allow us to continue to get that group of people to our state parks, he added.

“We’re last in everything or the best in bad things,” Redford said. “But with our state parks we are in the Top 10.”

Jeff Herholdt, director at the West Virginia Division of Energy, said that the parks’ initiative to provide electric car charging stations is coming at a time when there are major technology initiatives to roll out more electric vehicles.

Redford added that there are not currently a whole lot of public car charging stations in West Virginia.

“We don’t plan to charge,” Redford said. “We would prefer they are overnight guests, but we are not going to leave people high and dry.”

The stations to be set up at West Virginia parks with lodges are classified as Level 2 stations that have 240 volts and can produce 30 to 80 amps.

The stations have been ordered, a total of 11, will have dual chargers.

“I hope visitors plug into a station then go and spend money in the gift shop,” Redford said. “I’m really excited to get this going.”

If proven popular at the state parks with lodges, the park system will work to offer more stations to accommodate demand.

“I think it’s going to be a good model to bring people into West Virginia State Parks,” said Marty Weirick of the West Virginia Electric Auto Association. “EVs (electric vehicles) are here to stay and more are on the way.”

Weirick stated that he thinks West Virginia stands to benefit from the production and use of more electric cars as they will increase coal usage, reduce oil imports and are friendly to the electrical grid for their low consumption.”

According to http://www.wvstateparks.com/lodging/lodge.htm, parks with lodges are Blackwater Falls, Cacapon, Chief Logan, Hawks Nest, North Bend, Pipestem, Stonewall Jackson, Twin Falls and Tygart Lake.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I spoke to Paul Redford yesterday, he's the administrator for the Parks quoted in the article. They need to have the charging stations installed by the end of September to meet the terms of the grant. There will be one Schneider 30A J-1772 unit installed at each lodge.

He didn't know about the Tesla Destination Charging program so I explained it to him. Tesla pays all the cost for the equipment and the installation. I suggested to him that he might as well install some Tesla Wall Connectors while he's at it. So I put him in touch with Tesla and I understand that they are now in discussions. We shall see what happens.

I spoke to Paul Redford yesterday, he's the administrator for the Parks quoted in the article. They need to have the charging stations installed by the end of September to meet the terms of the grant. There will be one Schneider 30A J-1772 unit installed at each lodge.

He didn't know about the Tesla Destination Charging program so I explained it to him. Tesla pays all the cost for the equipment and the installation. I suggested to him that he might as well install some Tesla Wall Connectors while he's at it. So I put him in touch with Tesla and I understand that they are now in discussions. We shall see what happens.

Actually, Tesla pay usually pays for the charging equipment and then the property owner pays for install and electricity. I'm currently involved in two destination chargers right now.

Reactions: 1101011
Maybe you could tell me more about how you're coming along with your requests. I'm having little luck with the one I am pursuing...

I will pm you my contact. I'm not sure if it's public knowledge or not, but Tesla's desire for destination charging are almost wholly hospitality establishments right now. If you don't fall into that category, you may have a rough go of it.

Actually, Tesla pay usually pays for the charging equipment and then the property owner pays for install and electricity. I'm currently involved in two destination chargers right now.

I can confirm this in trying to get some of these installed at popular locations in So. MD. Perhaps Tesla will pay for everything if it's a worthwhile location for potential sales (public park? ... meh). One of the resorts I stopped at in VA on the way to Williamsburg had 2 Dest. chargers right near the entrance, near the valet, which gives them great visibility. As soon as I got out of my rented Model S, people started chatting to me about the car.

The 2016 map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors seems to show 3 new Superchargers. Any guess where they might show up?

We just got back to Pittsburgh from a trip to Charleston, SC, where my in-laws live. We drive down there a couple times a year, down 77 through West Virginia. We had to head towards DC for our first ride down since got our S. We added a lot of driving time because of the Supercharger desert that is WV. It will be a huge deal for us when the state gets a few more SCs.

Screenshot 2016-07-07 19.38.17.png

I think there are actually four pins in WV on the 2016 map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors. Here is where I guess those Superchargers may go. (click here for interactive map)

We need Charleston in the worst way (1st world problem kind of way, mind you). We've been on the fence two different times about going down to South Carolina to get away for a few days and both times, it came down to that extra 3hrs and/or necesity for overnight stay with the current route. Charleston and the rest of West Virginia can't come soon enough.

From Cleveland, we make frequent trips to a spot north of Asheville NC: down I-77 to I-81, then cross country. in the past, unable to go sansICE due to time constraints. This time I allowed for extra time and a couple of side tips: Virginia Beach - Wilmington NC - Research Triangle. Then a 14-50R at the relatives' place in Newland NC.

Home was cross country to London KY, then on to Blue Ash. Then finally Grove City to home.

Simpler had we had something in WV...

From Cleveland, we make frequent trips to a spot north of Asheville NC: down I-77 to I-81, then cross country. in the past, unable to go sansICE due to time constraints. This time I allowed for extra time and a couple of side tips: Virginia Beach - Wilmington NC - Research Triangle. Then a 14-50R at the relatives' place in Newland NC.

Home was cross country to London KY, then on to Blue Ash. Then finally Grove City to home.

Simpler had we had something in WV...

Yep, sounds familiar. Not that blue ash doesn't almost make up for it.....

At this point, WV politicians/business-folk have to understand that the coal industry is on the decline and that if they continue to fight the future, they will get left behind. I'm glad to see southern VA starting to thaw a bit on that front with the addition of the Wytheville SC.

At this point, WV politicians/business-folk have to understand that the coal industry is on the decline and that if they continue to fight the future, they will get left behind. I'm glad to see southern VA starting to thaw a bit on that front with the addition of the Wytheville SC.
Is it really the politicians holding this up??? Who do I write a letter to?

• Funny