TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Westar Energy exec likes the MS

Discussion in 'News' started by rage_777, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rage_777

2. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Nice piece. Thanks for posting.

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Not familiar with the company, but a nice article nonetheless (albeit a bit brief).

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

With a few more experiences like this, hopefully, we'll get more charging stations around the Wichita area. plugshare.com shows that Wichita is pretty much a charging wasteland. Only six within the city limits right now. Westar has brought electric cars (usually a Volt) to public events around town, so they're not totally in the dark about electrification of transportation. Westar, which is the electricity provider in the Wichita area, is nice enough to offer public charging at their offices. They have 2 offices within Wichita, and within 40 miles of Wichita, they have another 3 sites with free public charging. It is pretty cool that the electric utility provides free charging for the public.

I'm really starting to pay attention to availability of charging infrastructure now that I have a Leaf on order. It's not a critical issue to have charging around town since for my daily driving, even with the limited range on a Leaf, I should be fine. It would be great to have some additional chargers available for the odd days that I come close to the range on the Leaf. The only normal driving I do that would be at the outer range of the Leaf is a trip to my brother's place or my parents' place. Neither of these towns have existing charging, or charging options available on the road between my house and theirs. That means I'll probably upgrade the Leaf's included EVSE to 240V and get 240V outlets installed in each of their garages for a top off while I visit. Once an prices come down on EVs with about 150 mile range, I can make both those trips without needing to drive 55 mph (or slower) to make the round trip. :)

5. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I can't help but be reminded of the drug dealers who offer "free samples", knowing that you'll be coming back, cash in hand, the next time you need a fix.

And yes, I am a cynical bastard. :wink:

6. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

Great article--I have a feeling the COO will be ordering one soon :smile: