Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess would be somewhere where the ground isn't frozen solid, which is either BC, Maritimes, or in a parking garage "anywhere". My best guess out of those choices would be Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

Once the annual thaw takes place, then Winnipeg (Polo Park), and/or Regina.
Don’t count on NS getting any construction started now. Winters already doing it’s thing here.

Although construction does slow down in the winter, building still happens in central Canada in the winter. Just need to hoard things in and keep things heated. I don't think that building a supercharger here in the early winter or spring is out if the question.
Well yeah, you just have to really want it. :) Usually the rush is to get foundations in and a shell up so people can work inside before the ground freezes. For outdoor stuff like this once winter in on if you haven't dug yet you have to bring ground heaters to thaw out the frost, you have to set up some sort of cover/enclosure for the concrete to get started curing and dry out enough that the frost won't damage it (it creates it's own heat, so for small stuff that isn't really load bearing you can probably get by with just insulation to keep that heat in), and everyone just moves slower.

P.S. My hometown's cemetery has a little shed in it that at one time was used to store caskets until things warmed up. They don't wait anymore but it does get to just how much a PITA it is to dig.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
I mean, does Aulac count as NS, in a way?
My original comment (ie. the one here) is the one that you were responding to, and I cited the Maritimes and called out NB and NS (sorry, PEI). In the context of my message, yes, Aulac is in NS or NB. As is Waasis.

But besides splitting hairs, I'm just happy that we have a couple of Superchargers under construction in the country. In November no less. [Yamachiche started in October.]

I'd prefer if there was less trolling, thanks.

My original comment (ie. the one here) is the one that you were responding to, and I cited the Maritimes and called out NB and NS (sorry, PEI). In the context of my message, yes, Aulac is in NS or NB. As is Waasis.

But besides splitting hairs, I'm just happy that we have a couple of Superchargers under construction in the country. In November no less. [Yamachiche started in October.]

I'd prefer if there was less trolling, thanks.
I'm never sure if Mr Plugshare is actually trying to troll, but the signal to noise ratio of his posts is definitely quite low.

Back before I bought my first Tesla is 2013, I used to do the drive from California to Inuvik in NW Territories almost every year. When the Model Y or the Tesla Van or Pickup arrives, I'll look forward to that drive again. Some Superchargers along the Cassiar would be sweet.

Back before I bought my first Tesla is 2013, I used to do the drive from California to Inuvik in NW Territories almost every year. When the Model Y or the Tesla Van or Pickup arrives, I'll look forward to that drive again. Some Superchargers along the Cassiar would be sweet.
What was your route from Vancouver to Inuvik? I guess you took the Cassiar. Is that highway paved yet? Traversable in all season tires in summer? Would you be willing to drive a new ish Tesla on it? I've driven the Alaska Highway (in an ICE) but never been on the Cassiar or the Dempster for that matter. I did stop at the turn off to the Dempster on that trip. Also curious how that highway was. I'm sure it isn't paved but is it still so bad that you have to carry multiple spare tires?

Reactions: gene
What was your route from Vancouver to Inuvik? I guess you took the Cassiar. Is that highway paved yet? Traversable in all season tires in summer? Would you be willing to drive a new ish Tesla on it? I've driven the Alaska Highway (in an ICE) but never been on the Cassiar or the Dempster for that matter. I did stop at the turn off to the Dempster on that trip. Also curious how that highway was. I'm sure it isn't paved but is it still so bad that you have to carry multiple spare tires?
I always took Cassair as I like the roads least traveled. Alaskan Hwy is too developed for my taste. I started doing this trip about 26 years ago. At that time many hundreds of miles were gravel. Now it is paved. The Dempster Highway is a gravel road for about 500 miles to Inuvik. Inuvik is Inuit and Athapaskan village. I have always had good tires and just one spare. Only once have I had a flat tire on the Dempster. I have lots and lots of experience on gravel roads and even did 6,000 miles on a loop around the Sahara. While I always had a truck on the Dempster, there were also locals with sedans. Carefully driven, a Tesla, even a RWD would be absolutely fine with one or two spares. Along the 500 miles road, at about 250 miles, is one gas station/restaurant/RV camp with Nema 14-50. You'd get really good range because you'll never drive faster than 40 mph. The road is open all year except the river crossings of the Mackenzie and Arctic Red River are impassable at freeze-up and at break-up.

I am a jazz and bluegrass fiddler. One of the reasons I make the trip is to go to the Midway Music Festival and jam with the Inuit and Athapaskan fiddlers. Fabulous dancing and throat singing as well. Good videos on youtube.

I recommend the Dempster as a much wilder experience than Alaska's Dalton Highway. This is a fun video done by someone, not me, of the Dempster:

It’s ok, soon you’ll be able to use the AlCan Highway Superchargers. You said it yourself didn’t you :p?
Alaska Highway Superchargers

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
Found a news article about the owner of the Astoria Hotel in Jasper was in talks with Tesla to try and get a Supercharger installed in the parking lot in front of his hotel (see photo below). Jasper isn’t in the plans for this year or the next so we don’t know when it will start construction.
See news article here : Jasper’s Astoria in talks with Tesla

If anyone is touring the Rockies, do take a quick look here, because it should be easy to spot construction. @BlueShift

Here is the plan for the parking
83D85A53-85F5-4E3B-B1B6-4628A05F59C8.jpeg

^^^^^^ Interesting news. Wasn’t able to get to Jasper on my last vacation trip because time limits and bicycles on the back of my S70D. I would want additional charging options and/or shorter spacing. From the article, I see all of the competent news reporters left the US for Canada.;)

The hotel owner wants one.. is that any indication that it's going to happen though? over 200 miles from the nearest SC, it would need to be built along with another SC (in between Jasper and Edmonton/Calgary) or 2-3x additional SCs to cover the route from the southern direction. Absolutely nothing in this region is on Tesla's 2019 plans...