Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, this one is sorta like the town council in Smithers, BC voting in February 2017 to petition/open dialog with Tesla for a Supercharger in town (Yes, this really happened [PDF warning]). They saw as a particular selling point that it would be the farthest north and west supercharger. Maybe it will happen eventually, and I'm sure when Tesla is ready to expand into those areas they'll look at the specific locations being forwarded, but I wouldn't hold my breath. And in the case of Smithers, I don't think they even got a response from Tesla, or at least not a timely one.

Smithers isn't all that crazy. If they ever build out the Alaska Highway, Prince George will certainly have one. Then Smithers is the midpoint between Prince George and Prince Rupert, which is a major stop on the Marine Highway. That would leave 210 and 230 mile gaps though so they would most certainly put one in Terrace (bigger town than you might think) and then some place between Smithers and Prince George. But yeah it's along ways off. I heard Elon did respond saying "Target 2020."

Jasper is less of a stretch. It's a pretty big tourist/resort town. Kind of like Banff, Jackson, Aspen, etc. Lots of Tesla owners would want to go there. It is fairly remote though. As pointed out, they'd need to put one between it and Edmonton at the minimum, and it would be better if they connected it to Banff along the spine of the Rockies since that's how a lot of tourists (myself included back in 2009) would do that trip.

Smithers isn't all that crazy.
It's not the idea of having one there, it's the timing and the isolation from the rest of the built network. Though I had thought Jasper was farther away and would need more intervening sites. So, that one mayn't be as far out as I had assumed. Smithers certainly is today and even more so in January/February of 2017 when there were only ~10 supercharger sites total in BC and AB and neither Rocky View nor Edmonton had been built yet.

Oh actually Jasper is only 192 miles from the Canmore supercharger, so they could just put one at Saskatchewan River Crossing. I don't remember if that's much of a town (probably not), but it is basically the midpoint and it's a highway intersection so I'm guessing the electrical might be sufficient.
It's not much of an exaggeration to say that there is "nothing" there. It's certainly not a town. IIRC it is just a gas station and a seasonal (?) resort on one side of the highway. Nothing but scenery on the other. The main feature of the place is that two highways intersect.

... but it has power and is a logical place for a Supercharger.

It's not much of an exaggeration to say that there is "nothing" there. It's certainly not a town. IIRC it is just a gas station and a seasonal (?) resort on one side of the highway. Nothing but scenery on the other. The main feature of the place is that two highways intersect.

... but it has power and is a logical place for a Supercharger.
Yes it is a resort and would be a good place to put a Supercharger, except that they might need a large solar grid because I think that they run those hotels on gas because they’re isolated from cables. Also, Edson would be a good place, specially the Guest House Inn & Suites : the owner of the hotel is very EV friendly.

Reactions: derekasch
Well I went to put this in the Supercharger-Kamloops thread, but there isn’t one! Only for the new ones I guess.

Full today! All 4 spots occupied. It’s getting crazy like California here! ( ok not really) but plenty of space here to add some more chargers. I assume full chargers submit a ping at head office to signal adding more? Or do existing owners have to complain first?
FB472037-43CA-4F70-9AA9-64B818E6EA6E.jpeg

4 stalls full for how long? 5 min? 6 hours? Once, or every day, or 7 times/month? Lots of factors at play before an expansion is scheduled, I would think. I’ve seen the Red Deer charger full (4 spots too) a few times but only briefly each time, and mostly when I stop there there are zero or one other car charging. Now that the 3 is starting to show up in greater numbers in Alberta I expect that to change and would love to see another 4 stalls added in Red Deer, but if I drove a 3LR I would skip the Red Deer charger anyhow when driving between YEG and YYC. I usually do that in the summer anyhow, but often can’t avoid it in winter. Kamloops is probably a different story than Red Deer, more of a road-trip charger than a commuting charger, so maybe it’ll see an upgrade first. Lots of Trans-Canada chargers that were supposed to be deployed in 2017, then 2018, now 2019(ish) that might take precedence too. Not sure that owner feedback would change that but it probably wouldn’t hurt. Don’t know who to tell about it though.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
Well I went to put this in the Supercharger-Kamloops thread, but there isn’t one! Only for the new ones I guess.

Full today! All 4 spots occupied. It’s getting crazy like California here! ( ok not really) but plenty of space here to add some more chargers. I assume full chargers submit a ping at head office to signal adding more? Or do existing owners have to complain first?

Heh... interesting. I don't think I've ever seen it full, except when Mobile Service used the location back in the summer... and I live in Kamloops, and drive by fairly regularly.

No doubt Tesla tracks usage and can extract statistics from their data.

I suspect there is room to expand along that curbline, eastward. Maybe this summer will see enough usage to warrant a few extra stalls.

Reactions: scottf200