Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know when this happened, but I see the Tesla Supercharger page lists locations along Highway 3 in BC (Princeton, Osoyoos, and beyond). This is great news as that was an area that was lacking. And, frustratingly, well serviced by BC Hydro's Chademo/CCS network which doesn't help my Model 3 travel.

However the web site still does not list the Vancouver Howe St. location which is in the middle of being installed...

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
47272125-316A-437C-BD3B-A7C8D952BA09.jpeg
Reports that Kelowna Supercharger is getting throttled out at 40 kW

Well it is fine now...

Red Deer was full today, first time I’ve ever seen it so busy. I arrived around 1:15 this afternoon and all 4 stalls were full, an S, an X, and two 3s. Walked over to the local convenience store to get a drink and walked back, still full, waited another 5 or 10 minutes and one of the 3s left. I pulled in and started to charge, a minute or two later the S left. 5 minutes after that, another S pulled in - full again.

Took forever to charge from 11% to 75% due to sharing the stall pair, while we were charging another X pulled in and proceeded to sit in the middle of the parking area like they didn’t understand what to do. Eventually the other 3 left and the X was able to start charging, and a couple of minutes later I was ready to go.

Charged most of the time at 33 kW, once the X next to me hit the taper (I assume) mine ramped up to 72kW but never got higher than that for the whole charging session. Sure added a lot of time to the trip.

As much as I love seeing all the extra Teslas on the roads, it makes me nostalgic for the days when seeing one other car at a Supercharger was an event worthy of taking a picture of. Now I have to worry about adding an hour + to my occasional drives to Calgary, some of the shine is off the apple.

Took forever to charge from 11% to 75% due to sharing the stall pair, while we were charging another X pulled in and proceeded to sit in the middle of the parking area like they didn’t understand what to do. Eventually the other 3 left and the X was able to start charging, and a couple of minutes later I was ready to go.

Charged most of the time at 33 kW, once the X next to me hit the taper (I assume) mine ramped up to 72kW but never got higher than that for the whole charging session. Sure added a lot of time to the trip....
What was the temperature out? What was your state of charge when you ramped to 72kW?
Note here is the typical for a 90 kWh Tesla (per your sig).

Via: Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars
KFNFR0l.jpg

What was the temperature out? What was your state of charge when you ramped to 72kW?
Note here is the typical for a 90 kWh Tesla (per your sig).

Air temp was about -15C, battery was warm after having just driven 225km. It did sit for a few minutes while I waited for a stall, but there were no limiting bars on the regen graph. It ramped up after getting to about 30-35% charge and held the 72kW pretty much until I stopped charging at 75%.

As much as I love seeing all the extra Teslas on the roads, it makes me nostalgic for the days when seeing one other car at a Supercharger was an event worthy of taking a picture of. Now I have to worry about adding an hour + to my occasional drives to Calgary, some of the shine is off the apple.

During our drive across Canada, we had to queue up at a Supercharger in Toronto, and my wife said, "welcome to the future", commenting about how spoiled we have been with chargers always available in Alberta and BC.

I drive between Calgary and Edmonton reasonably often, and we do our best to skip Red Deer. If the weather is above -15° and we don't have a heavy head wind, we usually have a comfortable margin. I would rather drop to 100 km/h than to drive into Red Deer and wait for 20-30 minutes. We also find the Supercharger at Cross Iron Mills is a good safety net if it looks like we won't make it back to Calgary. The Southgate supercharger is also along our route with its 8 covered spots in an interesting mall.

Red Deer was full today, first time I’ve ever seen it so busy. I arrived around 1:15 this afternoon and all 4 stalls were full, an S, an X, and two 3s. Walked over to the local convenience store to get a drink and walked back, still full, waited another 5 or 10 minutes and one of the 3s left. I pulled in and started to charge, a minute or two later the S left. 5 minutes after that, another S pulled in - full again.

Charged most of the time at 33 kW, once the X next to me hit the taper (I assume) mine ramped up to 72kW but never got higher than that for the whole charging session. Sure added a lot of time to the trip.

I'm guessing the entire site wasn't operating at peak level due to the cold and this caused the backup. Had everyone been getting 100+kW, they likely would have left the stalls sooner and a line would have never formed. Just another example of how these problems can cascade quickly at a supercharger.

I'm guessing the entire site wasn't operating at peak level due to the cold and this caused the backup. Had everyone been getting 100+kW, they likely would have left the stalls sooner and a line would have never formed. Just another example of how these problems can cascade quickly at a supercharger.
Maybe, it’s an older site, but I had charged at Cross Iron a few days before at -25 and got 104 kW (arrived there at 5%) so I don’t think it was the cold. I’ve charged at Red Deer plenty of times in weather much colder than -15, but maybe the combination of temperature, age of equipment, and prolonged high demand had things running slow. No idea. Sure have a lot more sympathy for those in California who deal with this more frequently though.

And adding Jasper, Edson and SRC as well would be cool

I think Hwy 16 should also be done with Superchargers. In particular I'm interested in the Saskatoon to Jasper leg.

It's interesting to note how extensive the planned CCS / Chademo infrastructure is becoming in the West thanks to the National Resources Canada initiative and BC's Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. I sure wish that a Chademo adapter would come soon for the Model 3. Image is filtered for only CCS and Chademo (typically they have/are planning for both). Where the electrical infrastructure allows, most of these seem to be 50 kW chargers which is not up to Supercharger v2, or especially v3 standards, but beats the heck out of a 6 kW Level 2 charger!

west chademo-ccs.jpg