Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C90602E-EA62-4147-BE19-0EAA04B3B582.jpeg
I’m at the Kamloops supercharger and two strange things are going on: there is actually a wait for the first time I have ever seen, and a Tesla from the farthest I have ever seen. Wow. That is a serious road trip with two toddlers in the back.:)

Has anyone heard any updates about the Princeton BC Supercharger?
I dug through the town council meetings again recently and didn't find anything, but I think they'd only need to involve council if they are aiming to open in on city property, like Osoyoos. I tried looking for mention east of Osoyoos as well (figured it made more sense if the supercharger wasn't so isolated from other Superchargers) but didn't see anything in their council meetings either.

I'd like a Princeton SuperCharger mainly for peace of mind, but with a LR AWD a stop in Hope will get me to the Penticton area via Highway 3 without a need to top up in Princeton. Likewise, Osooyos should be easily doable from Hope. It would be more of a question of how to keep going further east from there (if you were so inclined.)

I’m at the Kamloops supercharger and two strange things are going on: there is actually a wait for the first time I have ever seen, and a Tesla from the farthest I have ever seen. Wow. That is a serious road trip with two toddlers in the back.:)

I was there from Illinois recently (June 25, 2019)! ~12.8K km | ~8K mile road trip.

nkz9s1N.jpg

RSixywY.jpg

Aside: Lillooet area was a very cool place and had an amazing bridge where I talked at length to an old-timer (WOOL Worn Out Old Logger - his term) and his grandson.
Lillooet's History: In the late 1800s of the Gold Rush days, Lillooet was famous for being one of the largest towns west of Chicago and north of San Francisco. Thousands of miners headed to Lillooet, which promised riches of the Cariboo. Lillooet was also sited on the Indian trading routes along the Fraser River, were the St'at'imc people had lived for thousands of years. With the appearance of the Miners, Lillooet began to boom into a thriving town of tents and saloons. The town also included camels and camp followers; gamblers & ruffians; and more than a few dancehall girls when Lillooet became the Mile 0 of the Cariboo Road. -- Related to 75,93, 100, etc Mile house 'towns'

Last edited:
I was there from Illinois recently (June 25, 2019)! ~12.8K km | ~8K mile road trip.

nkz9s1N.jpg

RSixywY.jpg

Aside: Lillooet area was a very cool place and had an amazing bridge where I talked at length to an old-timer (WOOL Worn Out Old Logger - his term) and his grandson.
Lillooet's History: In the late 1800s of the Gold Rush days, Lillooet was famous for being one of the largest towns west of Chicago and north of San Francisco. Thousands of miners headed to Lillooet, which promised riches of the Cariboo. Lillooet was also sited on the Indian trading routes along the Fraser River, were the St'at'imc people had lived for thousands of years. With the appearance of the Miners, Lillooet began to boom into a thriving town of tents and saloons. The town also included camels and camp followers; gamblers & ruffians; and more than a few dancehall girls when Lillooet became the Mile 0 of the Cariboo Road. -- Related to 75,93, 100, etc Mile house 'towns'
Barkerville makes the claim of being the biggest city west of Chicago and north of San Francisco during that time period. Who knows what is true. But if you want to get technical, I would guess it's unlikely either town was bigger than Denver, KC, Minneapolis, or even Omaha, so they should get a little more accurate in defining their claim to fame :)

BTW great job in capturing the absurdity of the fish sculpture at the Kamploops supercharger!

Barkerville makes the claim of being the biggest city west of Chicago and north of San Francisco during that time period. Who knows what is true. But if you want to get technical, I would guess it's unlikely either town was bigger than Denver, KC, Minneapolis, or even Omaha, so they should get a little more accurate in defining their claim to fame :)

BTW great job in capturing the absurdity of the fish sculpture at the Kamploops supercharger!
Don't know exactly about the size but the history of Lillooet is very cool. (including the Mile 0 reference point). Lillooet - Wikipedia

This fish was right by the visitor center which looked almost new (perhaps rebuilt/refinished). I'm sure the fish was there before supercharger (opened "Tue, Dec 23 2014 Kamloops, BC")
The the picture below on google about it when the fish was brown and there were no Tesla Superchargers visible in that location.

https://i.imgur.com/YRhJJsi.jpg
YRhJJsi.jpg

I dug through the town council meetings again recently and didn't find anything, but I think they'd only need to involve council if they are aiming to open in on city property, like Osoyoos. I tried looking for mention east of Osoyoos as well (figured it made more sense if the supercharger wasn't so isolated from other Superchargers) but didn't see anything in their council meetings either.

I'd like a Princeton SuperCharger mainly for peace of mind, but with a LR AWD a stop in Hope will get me to the Penticton area via Highway 3 without a need to top up in Princeton. Likewise, Osooyos should be easily doable from Hope. It would be more of a question of how to keep going further east from there (if you were so inclined.)

Do you have LR? I am doing the same route but not sure how it will go as it always routes via Merritt.

Do you have LR? I am doing the same route but not sure how it will go as it always routes via Merritt.
LR AWD. You can force A Better Route Planner through Princeton by adding a waypoint there.

I forget the exact numbers but I believe it was charging to around 90% in Hope should get me to Naramata (north of Penticton) with around 20% remaining. Skipping Hope and going the Merritt route is probably a more attractive option for me though, since there's a Boston Pizza, which my son loves, and chances are it would be about lunch time.

Princeton might also make a decent lunch stop.

Haven't convinced the rest of the family to take the trip in the Tesla though, so it will be ICE this year, but I will scope out the dryer plug at the cabin and maybe install 14-50 so there's no excuses next year.

That would only work if one didn't need the car over the weekend. Based on the layout of the Okanagan, that is unlikely to be the case.
Of course it depends on how much you are driving, but getting a trickle charge while you sleep is generally underrated on these forums. It can often be the difference in terms of not needing to arrange some inconvenient charging detour on the way to or from your destination.

Of course it depends on how much you are driving, but getting a trickle charge while you sleep is generally underrated on these forums. It can often be the difference in terms of not needing to arrange some inconvenient charging detour on the way to or from your destination.

Underrated, but used often by me. Just asking has allowed me access to basic power, and even better. My knock on door rate for places I would sleep in front yard is about 70%. Requires a conversation about electric cars and plenty of questions. That's part of life guess. Talking to people.:)

Reactions: bpjod
I’ve done it. It is quite hard to underrate. ;(

The real “underrated” around here is $40 to pack along 14-50 pigtail to temporarily tie into the panel where you’re staying. ;) Even if you only have a 20A/240V breaker that’s still nearly 3x as good as a 15A 120V, while 30A and 40A double-pole breakers are common in boxes less than 50 years old.

Reactions: Big Earl
My wife showed me a facebook post that they are setting up the construction equipment and starting to dig for the Portage la Prairie supercharger site. (Burger King in the background)
Well, this post is probably better in the Mid-Canada Superchargers thread. Could you get ahold of the photo?