Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Richmond,BC supercharger pretty much all of last week, close to a full house

110187542_10158599771427154_3076488395296904417_o.jpg

20 v2 chargers. What percentages are locals vs travelers?

FphIjYV.jpg

I suspect these are mostly locals from the lower mainland, with some visitors. This is the only supercharger west of Surrey that has free parking (the other two downtown require paid parking + the supercharging costs). This was why I chose to drive to Richmond as it was double the speed and free (easy) parking.

And the free DC Fast chargers are a joke, I drove around last week to UBC and surrounding area and all chargers were in use with a queue of others waiting. It was so rediculous the first UBC charger (free parking) had someone charging with CCS and Tesla (lady) was trying to simultaneously charge with Chademo. I wish i took a picture but I didn't later I checked in the day and saw it being used by someone else:
VeUCtFapnkN6eqypJtt4jIdOjlr3dkcJ9zNddR2apqajR3UcN0yEUmIRusxymJhFiq7hC7O7QQinCK0dHwAqLkTqsMBbhnGnIGoaOU9MWQbk5RbkhYngXD32pZG-lgoqJ1hHEv7KnyJHhOgUedf511ido8h9vJJgWgqeO9GkO-tA-bFbzKAp2lK9jnThM3PK8Ad_1pfnvk8GE0KC63bs_8raDDRVF0Sa4SxL9dpJQ7r_WLdxxT_dCx7-6do4rxrjVJNsYh4Gz49LhZm88OcIrDImCyKuNV1tjgh5uD5I-tVve1KXXQtqqgH6WIFyapDcl6mw6iDa1MAvVhiyZHl3vgzXBUqsZpTBvpHtOAt1GQXpl3HdbuJG0wXLl4DfllNA4ZrUVb8eBjWSa1P3YjLfLupVUNOVyH2GDfZLaWcMR5jmuvaefB-0GKGP4579Qoe1Z3wRS-f52yO20zQsrccd9BFIVC7Vv1fZwaoUl5bCyymtyz06zPp7XsoCIWnTM-T2PhUPKPurJaXr12FMVsV3Zevjb3-RdVDvhicrOtL0-koKXzl_VR7nAZHhRMALNYT6uWce6NfhqOO92CS8GFcwxUf_qMa23gnpLXcxKMXmfbWQNAmlGKAi5uMD05e9AanBRo3sY7qF1veQGR2gHPay5NDcAxhBR5K4avjeIb4zoSAKI0664pb_ahYAXqRZIbE=w1054-h790-no

How on earth do people stay charged in Vancouver if they dont have home charging? I was finally lucky and paid to use a chargepoint charger:
_QTrXUM-0390EEpdUCNirvl3GM6mT3wn_y6iYCkAeU1RogHeLInrCueMowAPCQo-WU1nuBf7TSpPw08GiSFbRVvQO0LNPAgjOGwg3nrwR4wW-zwAG1SpMJGt_ZAYsLjjgXcRYyyacNdZbaLjk6lpZWs8td-uZImGjIUyY_jI4_ZYVld39Z8BVxCHMqfhMKCEJX8CPEusayfweIAbwsdLESk6sQc3Nqlr3APqeWVZPr5woTWkNbkxZ_VEGeF_wRRhl-69FKvVLhNHwR5ROzr1a9UKnRte5UzsbfSVwl1R7XRkEr-UATQNGls7FCx2TmXInsSvufOFOnKAoiTvC5Im0YYPqjPh8pGXHlxc-LCH5_zbB-kV-6VbYTNuYDSNDp0cCyrmfA1gDIZ1tEtRKUSaS8k0F9hl4kMjcioAiCziiRlW6bdpfKwtJkB2TOcC20DWTJ126YwG2X-8TtOPr0oEGKrbf4_nXX7jjjJdWgpPYnnyfG9v3Q4R-rQ2UuLdczdOJGvY_iMsOE_ZIDVs7lz3RD4rWtTcwskkMGbvyyy7Zr5Cb5oZwYwsN4qQdcWItY8oZiVUPqsluk-gI9h6dDX5G5u1CJoL-QaGmXg50i8FL8lMd12wHo2EZ7VmNaAbu5NpwURB8VMEugrpix3C5noTr1HAFQDxWc1Mev9BILC8AqH8IDbEwg6kgXZ_mO_sGXg=w1054-h790-no

Crazy. If the amount of Teslas keep doubling or growing exponentially the chargers need to double to keep up with the demand.

Surrey was very busy with 12 urban chargers and they added another 8, around the same time Richmond came online. They are both well used but available now.

The problem is the 2 downtown Vancouver urban spots with 8 and 22 spaces respectively, are both in very expensive pay lots.

Surrey was very busy with 12 urban chargers and they added another 8, around the same time Richmond came online. They are both well used but available now.

The problem is the 2 downtown Vancouver urban spots with 8 and 22 spaces respectively, are both in very expensive pay lots.
The downtown Vancouver chargers are just a mess. They are only there if desperation. But I would say Richmond is the main charger to go to now, plus free parking and 150kW speeds.

Reactions: softcoder
Richmond,BC supercharger pretty much all of last week, close to a full house

110187542_10158599771427154_3076488395296904417_o.jpg
As someone who can't charge at home, this is exactly what scares me the most. Eventually, we'll need to see more charging, and this is why I think Tesla is going to lose this charging game to the open protocols like CCS. One company controlling the entire market of chargers? It seems arrogant.

That said, give me a super charger in my home town, please Tesla <3

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
As someone who can't charge at home, this is exactly what scares me the most. Eventually, we'll need to see more charging, and this is why I think Tesla is going to lose this charging game to the open protocols like CCS. One company controlling the entire market of chargers? It seems arrogant.

That said, give me a super charger in my home town, please Tesla <3
Seeing a half full supercharger scares you? Really?

:D:D:D:D
Seeing a half full supercharger scares you? Really?
Haha

All jokes aside BC is starting to look like California and it's lack of superchargers problem. 6/8 stalls working with a 20 cars wanting to charge, Merit BC.

I remember the Surrey charger was like this too, had big line ups next they finally took my advice after complaining like a Karen for over a year to make it 20 stalls, not 12. Pretty much from the beginning, I said 20 stalls *Facepalm*

And I think they are expanding again? Or perhaps upgrading the system, I remember seeing some electrical and people working on there a while back. Maybe 150kW or 250kW? One can only dream

@Aphinity I completely agree with you Tesls is lacking in North / West Vancouver superchargers for years now. And Downtown Vancouver is not a viable option to charge.

Attachments

• 61D88B57-374C-4F42-B0AF-777B018CE99B.png
    61D88B57-374C-4F42-B0AF-777B018CE99B.png
    850.8 KB · Views: 98
:D:D:D:D
Haha

All jokes aside BC is starting to look like California and it's lack of superchargers problem. 6/8 stalls working with a 20 cars wanting to charge, Merit BC.

I remember the Surrey charger was like this too, had big line ups next they finally took my advice after complaining like a Karen for over a year to make it 20 stalls, not 12. Pretty much from the beginning, I said 20 stalls *Facepalm*

And I think they are expanding again? Or perhaps upgrading the system, I remember seeing some electrical and people working on there a while back. Maybe 150kW or 250kW? One can only dream

@Aphinity I completely agree with you Tesls is lacking in North / West Vancouver superchargers for years now. And Downtown Vancouver is not a viable option to charge.
I'd be interested in seeing an actual picture of 20 cars waiting in Merritt. In the pic provided, I see 2.

Here’s one that I posted on my Twitter

MarcoRP on Twitter

View attachment 570470

Reminds me of the lineups in California when we drove down to Palm Springs in 2017 in our X. A queue 20 cars long is not the image Tesla or any EV would like to show ICE owners. All these coming soon Superchargers need to be built now and those 4 stall stations need to expand to at least a dozen chargers and preferably more.

Yikes, didn't know Merritt could be so busy!! I usually skip over it and use Hope/Kelowna. Wonder if those are all SR+ or something? The one time I've been there, we were the only ones there in the middle of the day.

Honestly makes me a bit sad (for myself). Don't really want to head to the coast or Vancouver Island if there's hour-long lineups at the chargers. There's a pretty big difference between two 30 minute charges (1hr) and a two charge+waits (3hr?) for an otherwise 5h drive. This actually encourages me to take our gas vehicle.