Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect to Chademo and CCS, remember that Tesla's superchargers are still faster and cheaper than anything that those other networks (Electrify Canada, Cdn Tire, Petro Canada) are deploying. Only BC Hydro has free chargers in some locations.

For us it’s not about the speed or cost. It’s the availability. Chademo/CCS locations in BC easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1 and cover a much bigger area of the province. Spending 10 bucks for a charge at a third the speed is still better than making my wife push.
Just sayin.

For us it’s not about the speed or cost. It’s the availability. Chademo/CCS locations in BC easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1 and cover a much bigger area of the province. Spending 10 bucks for a charge at a third the speed is still better than making my wife push.
Just sayin.
Even that most BC Hydro Stations are 2 chargers (CCS + Chademo) there are far more throughout BC than Tesla superchargers, the expansion of Tesla Chargers has really slowed down in BC recently, while BC Hydro stepped up their game.

Also, I wonder on Vancouver Island, if Tesla will build more chargers, Port Hardy? Tofino? Etc...

There are tons of Teslas there too, and fewer chargers for the long distances.

Even that most BC Hydro Stations are 2 chargers (CCS + Chademo) there are far more throughout BC than Tesla superchargers, the expansion of Tesla Chargers has really slowed down in BC recently, while BC Hydro stepped up their game.

Also, I wonder on Vancouver Island, if Tesla will build more chargers, Port Hardy? Tofino? Etc...

I have seen a couple places that say that the goal is to have highway 16 to Prince Rupert finished by snowfall this year. Then 80 perecent of the province is covered.

One city that seems way behind and no real interest in new technology or tourism going forward is Prince George. No fast charging and really skimpy L2 for the size of the city. Every day there are a few people less who can actually travel and visit there as EV's replace more and more vehicles with gas tanks. I wonder if there tourist industry/chamber of commerce is even aware of the move to EV's from gassers. I think 12 percent of all new vehicle sales in BC are electric this year. They may want to wake up and think about there ability to attract tourists there.

JMHO

The best spots to put superchargers on the island would be Campbell River, Port McNeill, and the Pacific Rim Visitor Centre at the turnoff to Ucluelet on the road out to Tofino. Port Hardy or Tofino itself would also be okay, but those specific places I mentioned provide better spacing and serve more areas. I wouldn't mind if they put one in at Port Renfrew either, but I realize not many people go out there.

The best spots to put superchargers on the island would be Campbell River, Port McNeill, and the Pacific Rim Visitor Centre at the turnoff to Ucluelet on the road out to Tofino. Port Hardy or Tofino itself would also be okay, but those specific places I mentioned provide better spacing and serve more areas. I wouldn't mind if they put one in at Port Renfrew either, but I realize not many people go out there.
Yeah, Campbell River, Port McNeill, and possibly Port Alberni? Good locations for probably 6 stalls 250kWh Tesla fast chargers and some J1772 Chargers.

Yeah, Campbell River, Port McNeill, and possibly Port Alberni? Good locations for probably 6 stalls 250kWh Tesla fast chargers and some J1772 Chargers.
I thought of Port Alberni but it's actually closer to Nanaimo than Tofino, and I'm not sure how many Tesla drivers are going to have PA as a final destination. Even if they do, just filling up in Nanaimo and driving to PA leaves you with hundreds of kilometres of range for driving around the area, so I don't really see the need for a PA supercharger. Many more Tesla drivers would have Tofino as a final destination, so that would be a better spot. There are ubiquitous HPWCs in Tofino and some people might be going to Ucluelet, which is why I suggested putting the supercharger at the fork in the road instead of Tofino proper, but either would be okay.

EDIT: Since Tesla seems to like to put superchargers near ferry terminals, one other possibility would be that they put superchargers in Courtenay/Comox and Port Hardy. But this would require another supercharger in between and there isn't much in terms of civilization in that part of the island. The local electric company has put FREE L2 chargers in Woss (I used them a couple years ago), so maybe they'd be willing to put in a small supercharger? Seems like a long shot, but it's a possibility at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
As somebody who grew up there, PA is not really a final destination as previously stated above. People are just passing through. The Nanaimo charger serves well enough to get you to the coast. Put a 2 or 4 station charger at the Junction and call it a day. Not everyone is headed to Tofino who travels to the coast. Plenty of beautiful places in Ucluelet to enjoy too. A Campbell River charger might be a little "end of the line", but a Comox/Courtney might see more use. I have found travelling to the west coast a little stressful unless you have a destination charger lined up (and that was before all the model 3s appeared on the road)

I spoke with the environmental official at North Vancouver city hall yesterday regarding charging at my street parking only suite. First, she confirmed that you cannot legally put an extension cord across a sidewalk to charge your EV. That I already knew.

We spoke about other things, and I asked about the Tesla supercharger that's supposed to be coming to North Vancouver. She heard about it, but did not know anything more. She suggested it might be in the District of North Vancouver since there aren't many high volume areas in the city, in her opinion.

Just more fuel for anyone trying to piece it together.

The lower mainland desperately needs more superchargers. Even 6 months ago the Richmond charger was rarely half full- now it is packed.

Nice to see a model Y there though. I hadn’t seen one up close yet.

Attachments

• E6820841-0EDD-4486-AE63-C1460F6310E0.jpeg
    E6820841-0EDD-4486-AE63-C1460F6310E0.jpeg
    905.6 KB · Views: 75
The lower mainland desperately needs more superchargers. Even 6 months ago the Richmond charger was rarely half full- now it is packed.

Nice to see a model Y there though. I hadn’t seen one up close yet.

Big problem IMO is the Vancouver chargers are in expensive paid lots. I understand paying a few dollars in parking but Pacific Centre? Come on.