Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really looking forward to an updated North America Supercharger Map! I really hope Canada get some more love with plans to cover Hwy 1 coast to coast and maybe some additional high traffic routes before Gen 3 lands!

Yes it is 3500km from Calgary to Toronto over the number 1 but you could span that with perhaps 17 Superchargers, but the usability for future Tesla owners in Canada is huge at a cost of only 3-4 million for Tesla! :D

OK, as promised here are some authorized nuggets from the head of the supercharger team at Tesla:

"We are in the process of updating the 2015 map and will definitely be adding more sites in BC through 2015. We are targeting sites in Merrit, Kelwona, Vancouver, and Calgary - any suggestions from you are definitely welcome."

"Kamloops should be on-line next week, and targeting Revelstoke before the end of the year. Golden is nearly done construction, but energization is very weather dependent – keeping our fingers crossed on that site. Besides Hope, our relationship with BC Hydro has been very positive. Hope itself was a very complicated legal/ownership situation and the entire fault does not lay with them.

Thanks for the Vancouver Island suggestions – I will pass this to our developers. Calgary into Montana is definitely on the radar, but I am hesitant to commit to timing at this point – same as the overall Trans-Canada route. I will let you know as plans become more formalized."

I had seconded the suggestion of Parksville as a first site on Vancouver Island, from EVFest up-thread. I also brought up the Calgary to Montana connection advanced by Cottonwood and others. It sounds like they have the Trans-Canada in at least back-of-mind for the next few years.

Onward!
V

OK, as promised here are some authorized nuggets from the head of the supercharger team at Tesla:

I had seconded the suggestion of Parksville as a first site on Vancouver Island, from EVFest up-thread. I also brought up the Calgary to Montana connection advanced by Cottonwood and others. It sounds like they have the Trans-Canada in at least back-of-mind for the next few years.

Onward!
V
No mention of the Alberta SCs ?
They must be getting close but we'll see how responsive the utility cos are in Alberta

Onward!
V
This is great news. If Calgary, and Kelowna get added (Edmonton would be nice as well) then I am extremely happy!

Just a side note: you can get from Merritt to hope bc on 100km charge :) I just don't recommend it (0 degrees, wet roads, add some snow and avg 90 km/hour...)
I've done that route a couple of times. 130 km of rated range in good conditions (bare and dry, cool with some headwind); 160 km of rated range in poor conditions (wet with strong headwinds) at posted speed of 120 km/hr (except for 10km near Hope were speed limit is 110).

At 90 km/hr you are a hazard on that road most of the time.

I've done that route a couple of times. 130 km of rated range in good conditions (bare and dry, cool with some headwind); 160 km of rated range in poor conditions (wet with strong headwinds) at posted speed of 120 km/hr (except for 10km near Hope were speed limit is 110).

At 90 km/hr you are a hazard on that road most of the time.

Yes but the snow helped... Everyone was driving slow for most of the downhill side. Along the flats I was doing about 100km/hour

Hope is still having trouble. I was there this morning. Bays 1B, 2A and 2B were not working. 3A worked well. Got 406 km/hr. Mother Ship was notified.
IMG_0193.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Very observant, Morristhecat! Yes, you have to pull in closely. The new cords are stiff and it was my impression that they're a little shorter. Probably just the placement of the concrete stops. I didn't scrape anything in my many tries at several bays.

Very observant, Morristhecat! Yes, you have to pull in closely. The new cords are stiff and it was my impression that they're a little shorter. Probably just the placement of the concrete stops. I didn't scrape anything in my many tries at several bays.

The point of the concrete barriers is to prevent damage to the pedestals. If they were further back, then they could not do that. The car should clear them all the way to the rear tire, though I have to say I'd take a close look before presuming it's ok and just backing all the way in!

Update: I am in Hope now, and can tell you that the car does NOT clear the concrete blocks. So, yeah, don't back al the way in.

Also, be careful getting out of the car, as the black asphalt is very smooth and so you get black ice.

On the plus side, stall 2A put out 116 kW initially (almost empty battery pack! 14 km remaining)

Last edited: