Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the photos. That sure does look like a huge grey transformer. Maybe it replaced the building feed also and that's why this station was up and running so quick.

The large grey box beside of the Supercharger Cabinets is the Distribution Center, not the utility transformer.

Perhaps the utility in Alberta is just more responsive than BC Hydro...

IMG_20150124_072928.jpg

Revelstoke.
Iced.
(As expected)

I used the Red Deer SC today. I was initially dismayed that I might not have a place to charge, but managed to squeeze in. Ask the stalls were blocked by the contractor, who was on site finishing up some fencing. Very nice gentleman. He honestly didn't think any cars would be pulling in to charge. He was excited to see his "project" get used, and asked a bunch of questions. He also did the Canmore supercharger. It is all done, but waiting for power to be hooked up.
img_thermal1484156384.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! They really need to do something about that. Can you park on the other side and still get a charge or will the cable not reach, or is it a road? It's hard to tell by the picture.
You can only charge from the far side (as shown in the picture). The cables won't reach (over the yellow barriers) to the side from where I took the photo. Maybe if you could park alongside the yellow barriers, but I doubt it.

In the winter I think that you can expect the chargers to be blocked from sundown to sun up. Two of the three vehicles had moved out by 9am. The black truck didn't move all day.

Here's a photo of the Golden superchargers taken earlier today (Jan 24th) and sent to me by a relative. They didn't see any Tesla's and don't know if the chargers were operational yet but at least the transformer looks to be in place, which wasn't the case when another pic was posted not too long ago.

Golden SC.jpg

Interesting thermal image. Those must be some smoke'in hot wheels.

Everything's relative. Based on the colour shading, it looks like they are as warm as the cable, and I have never known a Supercharger cable to get terribly warm. And that includes sessions charging in 40 degree heat in California.

I'd be interested to know how warm the cable was, and what the ambient temperature was.

Glad to see the Red Deer charger up and running - there are a lot of Alberta Oil workers with big trucks that park at that Hotel - not surprising that they would ignore signage and just park there. This is all pretty new to Albertans!

@Footbag, sorry I missed you when in Calgary - we were just in Kensington having a drink... should have joined us while topping up! Footbag tested out my charger on Plugshare as my car doesn't arrive till mid week this week so I'm glad to know it was pushing out a full 80A. Will install a code on the outside of the garage this week so access is easier for travelers.

Looking at that Revelstoke SC picture, I'm not suprised that happens. Golden and Revelstoke get MASSIVE amounts of Sledneck's inundating the towns, especially at hotel's/motel's. Expect to see single-pickup-with-sledtrailer blocking ALL the charging slots.. Just a head's up..
It's sad I know, but thats what you have to deal with when there are low-IQ Sledneck's around in winter.
I'd 411 the tow company and get him towed..

(It's like if a Model S parked at a Gas Station Stall and then crossed the road and slept in the hotel..... like... wtf.... there's signage!)

In the winter I think that you can expect the chargers to be blocked from sundown to sun up. Two of the three vehicles had moved out by 9am. The black truck didn't move all day.

Then they need to use large yellow cones at the front of each stall with a sign that says not to be moved except for charging a Tesla, similar to the ones shown in the pictures here: charging etiquette - Page 4

Actually having to get out and move a cone is quite different than pulling into a stall and ignoring a sign.

My opinion - I think any kind of cone or barrier is a terrible idea. Many will ignore it anyway, but I for one don't want to;

Arrive at charger
Stop, get out of the car (possibly impeding through traffic)
Move cone out of the way
Back into charging spot
Complete charging
Pull out of charging spot
Stop, get out of car
Replace cone
Go on my merry way.

It's bad enough to have to do all that when the weather's pleasant. Miserable sequence of steps if it's raining hard/snowing/strong winds/just plain coldcoldcold.

My opinion - I think any kind of cone or barrier is a terrible idea. Many will ignore it anyway, but I for one don't want to;

Arrive at charger
Stop, get out of the car (possibly impeding through traffic)
Move cone out of the way
Back into charging spot
Complete charging
Pull out of charging spot
Stop, get out of car
Replace cone
Go on my merry way.

It's bad enough to have to do all that when the weather's pleasant. Miserable sequence of steps if it's raining hard/snowing/strong winds/just plain coldcoldcold.

Ha! In Revelstoke, you have to shovel the snow out of the way to access the supercharger. You do carry a shovel in the frunk, don't you?
IMG_20150125_132648.jpg

(the orange plastic pylons (cones) nearest the electrical enclosure have been moved so that they only block off about 4' of pavement).

Last edited: