Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting video from September 2012.
Seems to indicate a string of Superchargers from Vancouver to Winnipeg by 2017.
Check at 6 minute mark

Good find @AlbertaNetZero.. Here's the screen grab. Can't really see the dots behind the letters, but you can clearly see the range circles right accross the Prarries on the Trans Canada.
6yqatata.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Good find @AlbertaNetZero.. Here's the screen grab. Can't really see the dots behind the letters, but you can clearly see the range circles right accross the Prarries on the Trans Canada.

Look at the U.S. Superchargers vs that "dream." Most of those dots were put down to have no gaps between the circles, with very little regard to actual highways or real max distances between Superchargers for reliable fast charging, fast driving, and bad weather.

I would put epsilon greater than zero credibility in that 2 year old dream in terms of a real plan. OTOH, I hope and believe that Tesla will eventually fill out the Trans-Canada Highway.

Canmore Supercharger

Looks like they have secured a site in Canmore.

No info on address.

Yes, we received the application by courier September 16, 2014.

Best regards.
Lori

Lori Rissling Wynn
Development Planner/Sustainability Coordinator
Town of Canmore
[email protected]
403.678.1527 office
403.678.1534 fax
www.canmore.ca

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:44 AM
To: Lori Rissling Wynn
Subject: Tesla Supercharger

Hi Lori,

Just wondering if Tesla has filed a permit for the Supercharger in Canmore.

Last edited:
Please try and follow up with an address request.

Where will the Supercharger go between Canmore and Revelstoke? Golden?

I sent a follow up requesting address and number of stalls, no response yet.

I would say Golden. If you stop in the National Parks you have to pay the park fee.

Plus dealing with Parks Canada regarding construction permits can be quite difficult.

Thank you for contacting Parks Canada.

There is usually no fee for driving through a park without stopping, unless you are driving on a scenic route (such as Highway 93 North). Whenever a stop is made in the park, such as stopping for gas, the park entry fee must indeed be paid.

I hope this information proves helpful. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again. Please note: you can also reach the Parks Canada National Information Service toll-free on 1-888-773-8888 in North America or 613-860-1251 for international callers. We are open 7 days/week from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT.

With regards,

Marc-André
Service national d'information | National Information Service
Direction de l'expérience du visiteur | Visitor Experience Branch
Parcs Canada | Parks Canada
[email protected]
Renseignements généraux | General Inquiries 888-773-8888
Renseignements généraux (international) | General Inquiries (international) 613-860-1251
Téléimprimeur | Teletypewriter 866-787-6221
http://parcscanada.gc.ca | http://parkscanada.gc.ca
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada

Conserver, restaurer et se rapprocher de la nature | Conserve, Restore and Connect with Nature

Last edited:
Please try and follow up with an address request.

Where will the Supercharger go between Canmore and Revelstoke? Golden?

---------------------------------------------------
1719 Bow Valley Trail, Canmore

Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn
Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn – Canadian Rockies Hotel Accommodations

Wendys, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, a few blocks north.
Boston Pizza, Subway, a few blocks south.
---------------------------------------------------

Email from Town of Canmore

1719 Bow Valley Trail, Canmore - with 4 super charging stations.

Lori Rissling Wynn
Development Planner/Sustainability Coordinator
Town of Canmore
[email protected]
403.678.1527 office
403.678.1534 fax
Town of Canmore - Home

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP

There is usually no fee for driving through a park without stopping, unless you are driving on a scenic route (such as Highway 93 North). Whenever a stop is made in the park, such as stopping for gas, the park entry fee must indeed be paid.
With regards,
Marc-André
Parks Canada

A prime example of Government Bureaucracy at its finest. Sure, you can put in a free for users, environmentally friendly, electric vehicle charger, but the government will still take its cut.

Any news on Hope? I was hoping to get a charge there tomorrow but I guess that's unlikely.

I sent a follow up requesting address and number of stalls, no response yet.

I would say Golden. If you stop in the National Parks you have to pay the park fee.

Plus dealing with Parks Canada regarding construction permits can be quite difficult.

Thank you for contacting Parks Canada.

I hope this information proves helpful. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again. Please note: you can also reach the Parks Canada National Information Service toll-free on 1-888-773-8888 in North America or 613-860-1251 for international callers. We are open 7 days/week from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT.

With regards,

Marc-André
Service national d'information | National Information Service
Direction de l'expérience du visiteur | Visitor Experience Branch
Parcs Canada | Parks Canada
[email protected]
Renseignements généraux | General Inquiries 888-773-8888
Renseignements généraux (international) | General Inquiries (international) 613-860-1251
Téléimprimeur | Teletypewriter 866-787-6221
http://parcscanada.gc.ca | http://parkscanada.gc.ca
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada

Conserver, restaurer et se rapprocher de la nature | Conserve, Restore and Connect with Nature
I can't imagine any option besides Golden would make any sense. It's either Golden or the middle of nowhere as far as I can remember. I think back in the days when ICEs didn't seem to get as far, my family even used to stop in Golden for gas.

Golden, BC

Yes, the Town is thrilled to welcome a company as innovative and green as Tesla. As background, I met with a representative from Tesla just prior to the August long weekend and then Tesla’s team moved quickly and in early September they submitted what they titled as “90%” drawings. These drawings went through an expedited referral process to other departments / agencies so that Tesla would receive the referral comments prior to my vacation. Currently, they are working through the comments and bringing the drawings up to 100%.

Before I close, I would like to add, that I agree with your statement that Golden is a crucial and strategic location between Revelstoke and Canmore for recharging and that Tesla is indeed moving forward with implementing a Supercharger station here, but it’s also interesting that historically the Town is no stranger to being a transportation backbone. Located between the Kicking Horse Pass and Rogers Pass, Golden is a crucial maintenance and staging area for CP Rail. Further, the town is located on both the Transcanada Hwy 1 - the gateway to BC and Hwy 95 - the gateway to the Columbia Valley.

The Town is electrified (pardon the pun) that it was selected as a Supercharger location and as a potential Tesla owner you will be pleased to hear, the charging stations will be located at one of our many hotels and as a provincially designated Resort Town I am sure that Tesla owners will enjoy stopping here for a quick fill-up or to spend some time adventuring in the area, for example:
ü White-water rafting on the Kicking Horse River.
ü Playing a round of golf at the award winning and scenic Golden Golf Club.
ü Coming to the Town center to peruse the great shops and seeing the timber frame covered pedestrian bridgehttp://www.tourismgolden.com/activities/places-of-interest/kicking-horse-pedestrian-bridge,
ü Taking the Gondola to the top of Kicking Horse resort and experiencing an elevated lunch at the Eagles Eye Restaurant at 8000 feet above sea level. http://kickinghorseresort.com/summer-main/the-resort/eagles-eye-reservations/
ü For more info - http://www.tourismgolden.com

I hope that is information assists you in making your vehicle purchase decision and if you have any questions please contact myself or Tesla directly.

PS – I didn’t receive your earlier email, which email did you send it to? Or perhaps it didn’t make it through our sometimes aggressive junk mail filter. Nevertheless, glad you got your questions answered.

Warm regards,
Phil Armstrong MCIP, RPP
Planning Technician
Town of Golden
Box 350, 810 9th Avenue South
Golden, British Columbia Canada V0A 1H0
P: 250.344.2271 ext 236 F: 250.344.6577
E-Mail: [email protected]
URL: http://www.golden.ca

- - - Updated - - -

Golden BC

Hi Phil,

Where will the Supercharger be located in Golden?
How many charging stalls.

Four stations - I'll let you know once permitting is complete.

Phil Armstrong | Planning Technician | Town of Golden

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 3.54.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 3.54.29 PM.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 583
After setting up some test drives for coworkers at a meeting in Vancouver this past May, two people from our Edmonton office and one from our Calgary office have told me they will order their Tesla as soon as;

1. Supercharger in Red Deer is open,
2. Service center in Alberta (anywhere in AB!!) is open.

As for the 1st item, and for all future Supercharger sites, would it not be beneficial if there was a couple Model S HPWC's installed at the same site, in advance of the Supercharger Install, so people could follow the same trips, although at a slower pace initially, which can also be used as overflow chargers later when the site with superchargers gets busy?

Or - they could install some Clipper Creek/SunCountryHighway SC-100's with J1772, so that Tesla Model S, (& Roadsters?) with adapters could use them, as well as the general public. That way the public - when using them with their EV's will see a Tesla Pull up to the supercharger, charge and leave, while they are still charging! (cross brand marketing? - Come over to the fast side, my son!)

It looks like 2 black monoliths on the right under the plastic instead of supersharger plug bases. What is going on there?

Black plastic wrap. I can assure you that those are charging pedestals as the electricians had me back up to them to check clearance from the chainlink fence. It's a bit tight, but will work. You might be able to see that those 2 black pedestals are a little closer together than normal.

In another of the photos I note the lack of a meter in the meter base. I wonder if/when BC Hydro has/will install their transformer?

Look at the U.S. Superchargers vs that "dream." Most of those dots were put down to have no gaps between the circles, with very little regard to actual highways or real max distances between Superchargers for reliable fast charging, fast driving, and bad weather.

I would put epsilon greater than zero credibility in that 2 year old dream in terms of a real plan. OTOH, I hope and believe that Tesla will eventually fill out the Trans-Canada Highway.

Ultimately, all EV's will lose Battery Capacity over longer duration's and cycles, so the plan will need to be tweaked over time to allow for reduced range of the 60 kWh Model X, for example, at something like say - 75% of the 'New' range, as the interval between supercharging sites. Since the Model S60, is rated at 208 miles, we can round off that as a starting range of 200 miles (likely considered as a 'Range' Charge); X 90% for Model X Range = about 180 Miles, X 75% for an aging battery = 135 Miles (Approximately) being the ultimate goal between Supercharging Stations.

Also - the Halo's or Circles around each station may overlap the next stations Halo, but it actually needs to overlap the next actual station, so the cars can reach the station, not just the next circle, being the distance a car can drive towards them from the other station before running out of range!

If Tesla or an independent supplier installed further Tesla HPWC's or Clipper Creek (Sun Country Highway, in Canada) CS-100 J1772's in between all Supercharging Stations (~ 50% of the distance), even with further reduced range (Or side tripping, demoing the car to friends, etc!), one could do a bit of a charge at them if needed, on their way to the next Supercharger!

Some months back, I took the liberty to map out towns and cities on the Trans-Canada #1 Highway and do a Google Map Route, and send the saved Link to Tesla as a guide for a plan for 2016 - 2017 for Canada. I think I supplied them with a route plan link from Vancouver to Prince Rupert, too.

Tesla has been said to be quietly installing Model S HPWC's at 'Destination' locations, like resorts, etc., and has over 110 of them out there too, so installing them between SC's could be part of their plan as is!

Tesla is quietly installing higher-speed, non-Supercharger network [UPDATE]
"Those devices have been deployed at almost 110 hotels, beach parking lots and restaurants in North America, Tesla spokeswoman Alexis Georgeson confirmed to AutoblogGreen in an e-mail. Tesla just launched the program this spring and lists those chargers' locations on its website ( Find Us | Tesla Motors )." (Deselect Stores and Service Centres, and simply show Charging!)

Like such places as the Muskoka Bay Club - Muskoka Bay Club | Gravenhurst, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Robert

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on Hope? I was hoping to get a charge there tomorrow but I guess that's unlikely.

You already posted pictures, but I got this email yesterday - Sunday Night 9/21/2014 4:59PM, actually!

"Hi Robert,

You contacted us a while ago asking about the supercharger station in Hope and I'm pleased to report that they have been installed!

They're not yet operational (and I haven't heard yet when they will be), but they're installed on the corner of Fraser and Fort (behind Dairy Queen).

Cheers,

Helen Kennedy

Hope Visitor Centre
AdvantageHOPE
(604) 869-2021
hopebc.ca"

So if inquiries want to be made, there is a local contact, too!

It looks like 2 black monoliths on the right under the plastic instead of supersharger plug bases. What is going on there?

Because the current SCH install in hope is only a CS40, and its only available during business hours, Hopefully these are for some SCH CS100's. CS100's would be great for the Roadsters stopping by, and MS's more than 97% into the taper on a busy day in Hope.