Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why BC Hydro has been such a holdup? Is it a case of poor planning or is this just the way it goes for a commercial electrical connection?

We have had our share of slow utility installs in the US as well. Think regulated monopoly. The vast majority of the population never sees how slow the installation part of a utility operates. I think it is "normal" for a utility to be really slow for installations.

I certainly have nothing positive to say about any of our interactions with the various Hydro companies in our area.

My favourite: Hydro One delayed our construction project over six months by somehow "losing" our file. And they didn't have to actually do anything - it was just for getting permission to build on our own property, because there's an easement at the back.

Not to mention the lunacy of the local inspectors. Insisting on adding a second conduit under the parking lot as a "spare", even though the building has plenty of extra capacity... and he only wanted the conduit to run half-way to the building. And the thing is embedded in concrete. :confused:

So, yeah, think regulated monopoly.

The irony is you would think they want to sell electricity. Of course, in any other business getting up and running quickly is the goal to get profits coming in for the shareholders.
Not sure if these are special transformers but I'm sure they must have some stock and wouldn't take months to procure.

I guess that is the main thing - if they are relatively easy to expand when usage dictates. I think my point is that golden has more value from a Calgary point of view than just a pit stop on the way to vancouver. It's kind of a moot point right now anyway as there are still only a handful of Teslas in Alberta AFAIk anyway.
Just was talking to the Vancouver service center and to my surprise they indicated there are over 60 TESLAs in Alberta.

I'm not at all surprised. Alberta has always been a good market for Tesla, since the early Roadster days.

I'm still surprised. Various rangers I've talked to have only suggested a number between 10 and 20 in Calgary including Roadsters. I guess if that was 20 and Edmonton had 20 the I suppose its possible to have another 20 sprinkled around the rest of the province but that still seems high to me. I'm still only aware of around 10 different Model Ss in Calgary and 2 roadsters - based on collective input from the owners that I have met, TMC users, personal observation, friends/family and ranger conversations.
I wonder what the critical mass is for them to open the Service Center

Red Deer Supercharger

Below is a reply I received from the City of Red Deer Planning Dept.
Despite my request there was no feedback on exact address

----------------------------------------------
Good Afternoon,

Tesla Motors has been in contact with our Department. After discussion with our Development Officer and the Safety Codes Supervisor it was determined that a permit was not required.

If you have any question regarding this, please contact Vicki Swainson, Development Officer at [email protected] or 403-342-8399.

Regards,

Gwendalee Woody
Administration
Inspections & Licensing
City of Red Deer
403-342-8338

No permit Hmm could the charger be located on City property ?

I believe the City of Red Deer is serviced by EPCOR.

Not to be too negative but ...they still need to do the engineering, source transformer etc. which seems to take more time than building the Supercharger.
Hopefully EPCOR faster than some of the other power companies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412534255.622331.jpg
Hope BC today. I was hopeful but no such luck..