Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reserved a 3. Will the base model 215 mile range be enough to get thru the mountain areas on my way to Vancouver from Calgary? Using super chargers...
Keep in mind that the base model may very well have more range by the time they get to production. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was much less than 240 miles. But we'll see.

Certainly, with CHAdeMO available in Merritt now, you'd have a good chance of making the trip, even with the current supercharger network.

Certainly, with CHAdeMO available in Merritt now, you'd have a good chance of making the trip, even with the current supercharger network.

Regarding the CHAdeMO adapter, I just got mine delivered to my office today from Tesla. The number 3 highway, which isn't getting any Superchargers (at least not any time soon), now has a bunch of CHAdeMO's. Princeton's CHAdeMO is currently free. Manning Park has one now too (or very soon), Keremeos has one, and they're appearing at a rate that made me think the adapter was a good thing to keep in the basement of the trunk.

Regarding the CHAdeMO adapter, I just got mine delivered to my office today from Tesla. The number 3 highway, which isn't getting any Superchargers (at least not any time soon), now has a bunch of CHAdeMO's. Princeton's CHAdeMO is currently free. Manning Park has one now too (or very soon), Keremeos has one, and they're appearing at a rate that made me think the adapter was a good thing to keep in the basement of the trunk.
We think alike (scary for you...!)

I picked one up a month ago, thinking I might make use of it down the Oregon and California coast, as well as through the Highway 3 corridor. Word has it that there will be a second phase of the BC DC Fast Charge network coming soon...

I tried it out in two locations - Tournament Capital Center in Kamloops, and also Chase. In both cases, the charge was free... which surprised me as I thought they were going to be charging 35 cents a kWh. I guess not yet.

Definitely not supercharger-fast, but feels like a Level 2 on amphetamines...

Yes, but be careful over the Coquihalla in the winter with today's supercharger configuration. In the summer it can be done much easier. I will be doing it in my 60 this august, and I am not worried at all By the time you get your 3, Merrit should be up and then it will be no problem.

For all your planning needs try using the Route Energy Planner tool at www.evtripplanner.com and use a 60 or 70 as a base for now.

Awesome. Thanks a ton for the useful info

I've posted this before, but there is so many new things on their site that it is worth looking at again. This is the link to the provinces Chademo L3 network. It is getting quite comprehensive now. If one doesn't have the adapter yet, you can see it is definitely useful now and worth getting. Make sure you have all the boxes on the left checked, including for phase 2 in green, and you zoom out to see the whole province.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I love driving through B.C and Alberta in the summer. what makes more sense the dual charger or Chademo? Looks to me many more j1772 plugs out there than chademo? Thoughts?

If I had to choose, I'd say dual chargers. But maybe that's because I'm coming from two years of EV driving without a Chademo and with a SunCountry 80 amp in Hope, before there were Superchargers there that I used a lot, plus I have an 80 amp HPWC at my cabin in Tulameen; and 80 amp HPWC's are appearing more and more at hotels, resorts, malls, towns, etc.

Really, though, it's best to have both. The Chademo adapter is not that expensive.

ChaDeMo will most likely use your dual charger while J1772 will only use the dual charger if it "pumps" more than 40 Amps.

Nope. Chademo bypasses the onboard chargers. That's why you need supercharging enabled for it to work...

***NOTE: A vehicle software update must be performed at the service center if Supercharging is not enabled.
Tesla — CHAdeMO Adapter

Reactions: Jaff
CHAdeMO FAQ:
CHAdeMO User Guide

Quote :
Similarities and differences to Supercharging
  • The rate of charge at a Supercharger varies dramatically, and is by far the fastest when the battery is nearly empty. The rate of charge using CHAdeMO is slower overall, but reaches its fastest rate when the battery is about 75% full. Both become very slow beyond 90% full. This means that if you have multiple CHAdeMO to choose from on your journey, it’s better to stop relatively early (the opposite of the advice for Superchargers).
  • Just like Superchargers, it makes no difference to CHAdeMO charging whether you have the optional 2nd charger installed in your car or not.

Reactions: Han Chen
Whitefish, Montana 60 miles from the border. close to both Alberta and B.C. Seems to me if lots of Chademo sites then that would make more sense but from what I see in Alberta and B.C. I see way more J1772's out there. Am I missing something or is there another source to find them other than plugshare?

East of the Okanagan valley, there doesn't seem to be anything in the CHAdeMO category. And J1772 isn't overly plentiful either. I expect CHAdeMO expansion will eventually continue east, but it doesn't look like it will be any time soon. The existing J1772 stops won't typically max out a second charger, but in most spots a second charger will help speed up your charge. It looks like they intend to fill in the SW with more CHAdeMO before extending the network east... which I think is a shame. EV range is increasing, not decreasing, after all.

Beeeerock is right. If you're coming up to Canada, there's none east and heading west there's none until you hit Keremeos. Then there's another in Princeton and Manning Park (soon). So go for the dual chargers and you can always pick up the chademo adapter later as they build out the stations.

I was at the Kelowna Supercharger yesterday and they had the entries to the stalls and other spots partially roped off with signs reading that the parking lot is closed April 13 from 11am to 4pm. I'm not sure why, but just a heads up in case anyone needs a charge during those times since you may want to find out if they will still allow access to the superchargers...

P_20160411_155254.jpg
P_20160411_155300.jpg

I attended the "Tesla Weekend Social" event here in Vancouver earlier today and during a short Q&A a Tesla employee mentioned they're considering a Supercharger on Vancouver Island, likely north of Nanaimo - to serve driving to Tofino area.

Not sure if this is old news to everyone around here but news to me so I thought I'd mention it. I don't recall if she mentioned any particular timeframe, or if it would even be a certainty (someone had asked about SC expansion connecting all across Canada, so the employee mentioned Nanaimo specifically). There wasn't any mention of the previously-rumoured Vancouver SC.

I attended the "Tesla Weekend Social" event here in Vancouver earlier today and during a short Q&A a Tesla employee mentioned they're considering a Supercharger on Vancouver Island, likely north of Nanaimo - to serve driving to Tofino area.

Not sure if this is old news to everyone around here but news to me so I thought I'd mention it. I don't recall if she mentioned any particular timeframe, or if it would even be a certainty (someone had asked about SC expansion connecting all across Canada, so the employee mentioned Nanaimo specifically). There wasn't any mention of the previously-rumoured Vancouver SC.

Thanks so much for sharing this, it's exciting news - even if it's not a sure thing quite yet. Perhaps by the time my Model arrives, a SC will be in the works and we can plan some Long Beach trips. Now I just need figure out how to downsize the camping gear that typically fills a minivan... :confused:

CHAdeMO FAQ:
<snip>
The rate of charge using CHAdeMO is slower overall, but reaches its fastest rate when the battery is about 75% full.
Weird, I didn't know that. Anyone know why that is? I've been holding off getting a CHAdeMO adapter because I never thought I'd use it (none yet in Alberta) but this thread, plus some future planned trips to BC and Oregon are making me reconsider.