Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you running V8?

No. I just woke up to the software update notification this morning but I didn't have time to install it. It's set to install early this morning.

I realize fixing the energy calculator won't magically reduce consumption, but it would be nice to know more accurately how tight things will be.

I already take the range calculation it comes up with and reduce it by 10%, and that's usually what I end up with, but 21% was more than expected.

That route will not be fixed with a software update. If Tesla ever fixes it (and as they have no mechanism in place to fix map errors, nor do they appear to care, I'm not holding my breath) it will either be through a map tile update, or a full map update. Not by going from 7.1 to 8.0 or 8.0 to 8.1

I left Kelowna SC today with 98% and it said I would have 32% at the Hope SC. I arrived in Hope with 11%. That's a pretty big difference from the estimate and I didn't drive that aggressively since there was heavy fog for some of the drive that slowed me down. I got new winter tires, and used defrost with heat but I kept the fan on 1 or 2, plus heated seats. I don't see how a 60 could make it. That SC in Merritt can't come soon enough, especially because it take so much longer to get that last needed 20% than the first 80%.

A 60 cannot make it, trust me. I always have to stop in Merritt at the Chademo for 15 minutes. Yeah, that SC can't come soon enough.

IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
Merritt Supercharger
Here are some pictures from yesterday. You can see the lifting hooks on the power supply cabinets and that they are still wrapped in plastic. A pile of plastic conduit, and some conduit sticking up out of the ground where the charging stations will probably be.

Looks like 8 stalls based on the 4 cabinets (2 stalls per cabinet)

While I was in Merritt, they seemed to be working pretty long hours on that SC, and it's definitely further along then when I was there last.

As for the power supply cabinets, the "lifting hooks" (eyes on the top of the cabinet) likely stay, that would be normal for equipment like this. The plastic of course will have to come off, but they are likely mostly pre-wired inside from Tesla with only final connections needed.

I am actually thinking the charger is going to be ready before the hotel parking lot, and that's likely to be the bottleneck on this one.

Side note: I recommend taking pictures from the road side, not by walking through the construction site. They were pretty touchy about me being there last time, but as I was on public property there was nothing they could do. Standing in the construction site changes things a bit, and you could find yourself charged with trespassing if someone gets real annoying about it all. (I should also just put a bit of a safety pitch in here that active construction sites have various dangers that may not be readily apparent to those unfamiliar with them.)

you could find yourself charged with trespassing if someone gets real annoying about it all

There's no need to scare him since the Crown bring trespassing charges -- not private individuals. Even before the Crown brings those charges, however, the police must recommend them. In my view, there's absolutely no chance that will happen for taking pictures of something that is of public interest regardless of how annoyed anyone gets.

I do agree with the suggestion, however, that it is best not to enter a construction site, and instead take pictures from a public area.

There's no need to scare him since the Crown bring trespassing charges -- not private individuals. Even before the Crown brings those charges, however, the police must recommend them. In my view, there's absolutely no chance that will happen for taking pictures of something that is of public interest regardless of how annoyed anyone gets.

I do agree with the suggestion, however, that it is best not to enter a construction site, and instead take pictures from a public area.
The mechanism by which the charges are laid is completely irrelevant. the end result is the same. And yes, the police must recommend them, but that doesn't take much at all in a situation like this as police tend to side with the complainant in most disputes. They are also highly unlikely to see it as "public interest" and more likely to see it as photographing something against the will of the owner. Which although perfectly legal from public property, is not so cut and dried when you're trespassing.

Even so, MANY people have been harassed by police for doing it legally, you certainly aren't likely to get less harassment by breaking the law.

And yes, the police must recommend them, but that doesn't take much at all in a situation like this as police tend to side with the complainant in most disputes.

This is just so utterly wrong. Have you tried yourself to get charges laid? I own a commercial building where we constantly deal with trespassers. The police do nothing about it despite our constant complaints. Recently, someone even attempted to break in, using a shimmy on the door. We have the security footage, and know the culprit by seeing him on the street, and we couldn't get the police to lay charges because we scared him off and we were told the damage was not significant enough to lay charges. We were told that they are watching him and they want to arrest him when they have a better case. It seemed like just an excuse to me.

They are also highly unlikely to see it as "public interest" and more likely to see it as photographing something against the will of the owner.

A judge would be very angry at the crown and police if this made it into his/her courtroom (and it never would) with all the real crimes that take up so much of the court time, and of which so many charges are dismissed due to lack of being prosecuted in a timely manner.

You obviously have no idea of how the criminal justice system works in BC if you think an otherwise law abiding citizen taking pictures of superchargers will be charged with a criminal offence. It just won't happen - period - end of story.

Believe what you will. Many photographers have been arrested for less.

Many have been arrested for less? I can't imagine anything more innocuous than taking pictures of a supercharger construction site but please point me to just one of the "many" arrests for less that you reference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone trespassing on private property. It's also a construction site and that in itself is reasons enough to stay off of it. But when I read your post I didn't want him to lose sleep thinking the police would knock on his door and charge him with trespassing. That won't happen. I have defended many civil cases for insurers when plaintiffs trespass on a construction site and then injure themselves and sue. No trespass charges are ever laid. In fact, in BC occupiers even owe trespassers a duty of care, even if they trespass "with the intention of committing, a criminal act". See section 3(3.1) here:

Occupiers Liability Act

I could post a whole lot of news articles about people being arrested for taking pictures on public property (which is fully legal, but the cops didn't seem to know it) or a recent article about police searching for 3 men who were seen photographing the entrance of a mall. Or the many others, but I'll let you do your own googling.

Most cops are good and realize that photography on public property is legal, but many won't be so understanding if you're trespassing.

You're right that they are unlikely to get a conviction, but do you really want to go through the process to test it?

All I'm saying is that it could happen, and has in fact happened many times in the past in many locations, including BC. Don't be the next one it happens to.

Well I decided I wanted to feel like a paparazzi and pester the crews building the Fort Macleod chargers, or at least buy them a coffee. But no such luck today. I was so disappointed that it wasn't working yet. :rolleyes:
You can see there are a few piles of gravel that still need to be leveled.
I had a lot of fun driving there from Calgary. I've never pushed the range like that before. The trip planner said that I would only have 52% when I arrived there. Calgary is higher than Fort Macleod so I was expecting to use even more than that coming home. But I was able to make it home with 9%. Only had the yellow line. I wanted to get into the red but couldn't make it do that. Never thought about opening all the windows for more drag.View attachment 197463 View attachment 197460 View attachment 197461 View attachment 197462 View attachment 197464 View attachment 197465 View attachment 197466

Thanks for the great photos Lon12.
Really looking forward to this location being open fairly soon.

This is maybe the key Supercharger for my trip, leaving next week to visit Glacier NP, and then head North up to Calgary and Banff.
Plan to charge overnight @ Whitefish, then drive thru Glacier NP and across border and on to Ft. MacLeod.

Will be bringing my Garmin, because some areas in Canada do NOT interface well with U.S. Tesla Nav system, and ATT U.S. differs from Canada version.

All I'm saying is that it could happen, and has in fact happened many times in the past in many locations, including BC.

No - it doesn't happen. And the three men you referred to, which is the only example you gave, happened on property that the public was invited to attend on. It was not a trespass situation at all. We know why the police were searching for them -- it was thought to potentially be terrorist activity. That could happen in this scenario regardless of whether he took the pictures on or off the supercharger site. You are right, I can google myself, but it would be a waste of time since I would only find similar completely unrelated articles like you did, that do not prove your point.

No - it doesn't happen. And the three men you referred to, which is the only example you gave, happened on property that the public was invited to attend on. It was not a trespass situation at all. We know why the police were searching for them -- it was thought to potentially be terrorist activity. That could happen in this scenario regardless of whether he took the pictures on or off the supercharger site. You are right, I can google myself, but it would be a waste of time since I would only find similar completely unrelated articles like you did, that do not prove your point.
I'm glad you think your ignorance of reality will protect you from it. But please refrain from giving advice to others based on it.

I'm glad you think your ignorance of reality will protect you from it. But please refrain from giving advice to others based on it.

I knew you'd come up with just one of the "many examples". Take about being ignorant of reality. If you're talking about reality, shouldn't you be able to point me to just one of the "many examples". But you have none, so you do a google search and refer me to three people taking pictures in a mall in Vancouver, which you know is grasping at best and totally unrelated, and when I call you out on it, you resort to lecturing me. And you say I am ignorant of reality? I'll continue to tell people not to worry as long as you lecture and try to scare people about:

you could find yourself charged with trespassing

for taking pictures of superchargers.

And I'll continue to warn people so they don't find themselves in trouble for following your horrible advice.

This is "horrible advice"?...

I don't condone trespassing on private property. It's also a construction site and that in itself is reasons enough to stay off of it.

This must the "horrible advice" you refer to, because that's the only advice I've given. If not, I am sure you will point me a quote of mine that contains advice, like the many examples you were able to refer me to.

You seem to be confused between giving advice and unnecessarily scaring people with BS. There's a difference and it's not a subtle one.