Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering how much of 2016 they haven't done, you can guess what 2017/2018 will be. Simply the 2016 ones that weren't done.

I've been following the SC map for some time. Kelowna and Merritt were late additions and welcomed surprises. I also don't recall any BC or Alberta SC's that were promised and not done in 2016 -- I remember the opposite, as mentioned. But perhaps you can enlighten me.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I've been following the SC map for some time. Kelowna and Merritt were late additions and welcomed surprises. I also don't recall any BC or Alberta SC's that were promised and not done in 2016 -- I remember the opposite, as mentioned. But perhaps you can enlighten me.
As far as I know, there's a lack of MB members to chime in, there's no movement in the Winnipeg and down south from there Superchargers.

As far as I know, there's a lack of MB members to chime in, there's no movement in the Winnipeg and down south from there Superchargers.

But they were never on the SC map, were they? I don't recall any on the SC Map for that area and I was responding to this comment:

Considering how much of 2016 they haven't done, you can guess what 2017/2018 will be. Simply the 2016 ones that weren't done.

What 2016 one's were not done that you are referring to? I don't think I've ever seen any in MB on the map but again I could be wrong.

But they were never on the SC map, were they?
Look at the proposed 2016 map as of 11/22/2016 (courtesy of the wayback machine). You'll see a line of planned superchargers across North Dakota and also up to Winnipeg. Also north from Butte, Montana through Calgary to Edmonton. There is even another station in the Vancouver area that doesn't yet exist. So yes, they're pretty far behind the 2016 map.

Look at the proposed 2016 map as of 11/22/2016 (courtesy of the wayback machine). You'll see a line of planned superchargers across North Dakota and also up to Winnipeg. Also north from Butte, Montana through Calgary to Edmonton. There is even another station in the Vancouver area that doesn't yet exist. So yes, they're pretty far behind the 2016 map.

Thanks for that. I guess I didn't pay much attention to Manitoba. Yes, Tesla looks far behind schedule. For my particular needs, the addition of Kelowna, and soon to be Merritt, are extremely welcomed by me, so I guess I've been myopic.

IMG_0323.JPG
Did you know Hollywood Limo in Winnipeg is adding the S and X to its fleet? I saw a classic S and a refreshed 90D the other day. Their fleet info on their web site has not been updated to show the Tesla yet. They have a charger at the airport.

Reactions: Jaff
I think from a purely Alberta/BC point of view, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary were all supposed to be done by 2016. I had assumed that maybe the new service center/sales center would house the Calgary super charger but I'm given to understanding that there will not be a public supercharger at this location so who knows where or when. It is remotely possible that this is already underway and that none of us have sniffed it out, but I doubt it.

Just finished a trip to the Kelowna area and back at "OMG it's cold!" (-36c on the outskirts of Calgary when I left!)
I found on my way out there that the Supercharger at Golden still had stall 1B out of commission, I reported it again, but on the way back an X was charging there successfully.

Beyond that, I found all the superchargers had EXTREMELY stiff cables, such that I had to use both hands to manhandle them in to position in the car. I also found that my range suffered quite a bit at those temperatures, but that was expected, for the first time I found that I actually needed to stop at Canmore, I never do that.

Just finished a trip to the Kelowna area and back at "OMG it's cold!" (-36c on the outskirts of Calgary when I left!)
I found on my way out there that the Supercharger at Golden still had stall 1B out of commission, I reported it again, but on the way back an X was charging there successfully.

Beyond that, I found all the superchargers had EXTREMELY stiff cables, such that I had to use both hands to manhandle them in to position in the car. I also found that my range suffered quite a bit at those temperatures, but that was expected, for the first time I found that I actually needed to stop at Canmore, I never do that.

Sometimes the drivebout to Canmore can be very windy and this could have likely been an impact for your trip. Even when it is windy I find inonly need to charge in Canmore for a short while. I typically spend a bit of time in Golden for lunch and thus charge longer there.

Sometimes the drivebout to Canmore can be very windy and this could have likely been an impact for your trip. Even when it is windy I find inonly need to charge in Canmore for a short while. I typically spend a bit of time in Golden for lunch and thus charge longer there.
I've been out there in all sorts of wind conditions, and this time the wind wasn't all that bad. No, this was purely temperature driven. I've never made the trip at -36c before!

I see Calgary is showing as "Opening soon" on the Supercharge map.
Yes. So what does that mean? I noticed that as soon as we posted a picture of the Fort Macleod charger here Tesla updated the map to the same "Opening soon". Maybe they have started construction but no one has noticed yet. Anyone up for a search party?

So what about the other pins on the map for 2017. Looks like Nanaimo and Salmon Arm areas have been added for BC.

Last edited: