Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the hotel construction near completion?
I haven't been by in a little over 4 weeks, so can't say. Nothing showing up via Google, so I'm guessing not. However, a little more digging indicates BC Hydro doesn't like the way something was done and is insisting some jackhammer-revisions occur before they throw the switch. I'm guessing the second half of January should see that solved, but who knows.

Reactions: derekasch
Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. Thanks for educating me. Who would have thought "Northern Ontario" exists in the southern half of the Province and constitutes 87 per cent of the land area of Ontario. That makes no sense to me but indeed it's true:

Northern Ontario - Wikipedia

It's all kind of relative. As a previous "southlander" myself we call anything north of Sudbury northern Ontario because you mostly drive north to get there. From Toronto to anywhere past Sudbury you are looking at a 5+ hour drive mostly north. If you drove 5+ hrs north of Vancouver or Calgary you'd call that northern BC or northern Alberta.

Merritt has been done for about two months... but not sparked up. I don't know what the delay is... asphalt in, only need to throw the switch. However, since it's in the parking lot of a new hotel that hasn't yet opened (that I'm aware), perhaps there is something in the lease agreement requiring the building to be finished first.
I drove by on the highway Tuesday and today (Dec. 30), but did not stop to look, given prior reports. I suspect that this is correct, that the hotel has to be operational before the Supercharger can accept customers. Technologically that makes no sense, but I am sure that in the universe where lawyers live, it does.

BTW, realized that Merritt will be really useful for 90's and 100's, as well as 60's. That is because it breaks the trip from Revelstoke to the coast better in half. Today, I left Revy in my P100D with a 89% charge and drove to Kamloops arriving with 28% (headwind, snowy/wet, subzero). I could easily have made it to Merritt. As it was, I charged in Kamloops to 96% and would have just made it to the Tsawwassen ferry, but was worried about the remaining trip home on Salt Spring Island, so I did a "splash and dash" in Hope—11% charged in six minutes flat! I was racing to make a reserved ferry, hence the urgency!

Boy, the P100D is a fantastic road trip car, even with zero AP functions at present!

Our tesla guy in Calgary put in Vancouver in a P90, was like 2 fillups....
I"m gonna stop about 8 times in a 60D lol
WOOT the acceleration though in my 60D still put the volt to shame.
Gonna hit up FT Mcleod for some juice tomorrow,
on the way to a NY eve party.
I suspect that people aren't going to be caring about the games,
they are gonna want rides in the Tesla!
HAPPY NY ALL

Based on what? All his other promises that have come true? The vast majority of the things he says turn out to be flat out lies, I certainly wouldn't put any stock in it.

As a fellow tech entrepreneur (retired), I do not see Elon's statements and deliveries in that light. As he has said, he always believes what he says can and should be done, but he often underestimates the entropy in the universe around him. I did the same thing countless times as a company founder and CTO, so I have empathy for his situation. No one believed anything he proposed would work at Tesla or SpaceX, so on balance, he is still pretty damn effective.

This is not me being a fanboy; it is me being a fellow human being.

Well I decided I wanted to feel like a paparazzi and pester the crews building the Fort Macleod chargers, or at least buy them a coffee. But no such luck today. I was so disappointed that it wasn't working yet. :rolleyes:
You can see there are a few piles of gravel that still need to be leveled.
I had a lot of fun driving there from Calgary. I've never pushed the range like that before. The trip planner said that I would only have 52% when I arrived there. Calgary is higher than Fort Macleod so I was expecting to use even more than that coming home. But I was able to make it home with 9%. Only had the yellow line. I wanted to get into the red but couldn't make it do that. Never thought about opening all the windows for more drag.View attachment 197463 View attachment 197460 View attachment 197461 View attachment 197462 View attachment 197464 View attachment 197465 View attachment 197466

Hey Lon12. Just for future reference, the singular of "paparazzi" is "paparazzo."

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
No one knows, or at least no one is letting us know that they know. You'd think with the several hundred odd Tesla fans in this city, someone would have stumbled upon it by now.
It's been scheduled for completion in 2016 but that clearly has come and gone - as has the Service Center.

Now if I can only fit it in my garage...
Literally will have to use summon because I will be unable to open the doors in the garage,
and have to cut out one step to the house.
False alarm,
either my conversion from Millimeters to inches screwed up,
or the Model S is smaller than the stated specs.
I hit the button to fold the mirrors drive straight in then veer right.
Missing the stairs AND able to open driver door quite wide (cuz I'm wide :p)
6 inches of room from the garage door, and a couple 3 feet in front for the boxes of tools and even a garbage can.
OK, I might have done the math with the mirrors non folding... I was considering an older used CPO car...
With folded mirrors it was to the inch of what I measured it at.
Whatever it FITS, and the electrician is coming Tuesday to give me a quote.

The Calgary Service center location is out there on another thread... why does everyone think the supercharger won't be here? Seems like a central location with good access...?
For Calgarians, the location of the new Service Centre is not really a secret anymore. There is a company called Sabre on Fairmont Drive. I believe Tesla will only have posession in January but they seem confident in a fairly quick turnaround once they have possession. Not firm dates communicated but it seems that March might not be unrealistic (IMHO). I have also heard that there will not be public SuperChargers at this location though they may have a Supercharger for Service Centre usage.

• Informative
Reactions: derekasch
As it was, I charged in Kamloops to 96% and would have just made it to the Tsawwassen ferry, but was worried about the remaining trip home on Salt Spring Island, so I did a "splash and dash" in Hope—11% charged in six minutes flat! I was racing to make a reserved ferry, hence the urgency!

Hey! Are you the silver one? Did you pass a red one going the other way as you departed the ferry?

- the red one, heading back to SF for awhile

The Calgary Service center location is out there on another thread... why does everyone think the supercharger won't be here? Seems like a central location with good access...?
If you visit that location you will see that it works for a service Centre but wouldn't for a Supercharger. The staff have already said it will not be a SUpercharger location (for what that's worth) but it also isn't that convenient to get to, there are no restaurants or conveniences nearby and after about 5:30pm the area becomes pretty sketchy - it is very industrial and dimly lit.

I believe they will put the Supercharger in the north to connect the Canmore-Edmonton link and also to accommodate the heaviest use - Calgary/Edmonton users going from one city to the other. Something like the parking lot for Deerfoot Centre (Deerfoot Mall?) would make sense on many levels.

If you visit that location you will see that it works for a service Centre but wouldn't for a Supercharger. The staff have already said it will not be a SUpercharger location (for what that's worth) but it also isn't that convenient to get to, there are no restaurants or conveniences nearby and after about 5:30pm the area becomes pretty sketchy - it is very industrial and dimly lit.

I believe they will put the Supercharger in the north to connect the Canmore-Edmonton link and also to accommodate the heaviest use - Calgary/Edmonton users going from one city to the other. Something like the parking lot for Deerfoot Centre (Deerfoot Mall?) would make sense on many levels.

Ah, I didn't realize the staff had said there wouldn't be any SC there... but in fairness, they're probably not allowed to say anything even if there are... just sayin'... And fair enough, it's not the greatest area right now but I worked on the new buildings just across the street along the tracks as well as some other sites very nearby and I know there is a lot of redevelopment happening in that particular area in the very near future, including the potential for some coffee shop/restaurant uses, so I would say it's not the worst location either. Though I do agree that something along one of the major highways would be ideal.