Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Patk

Your best bet is to have a look at www.plugshare.com it has an excellent map which shows the location of most publicly available chargers and has a comments section to let you know exactly where the charger is located and if there is anything notable about that location.

I just had a quick look and unfortunately your only option along the way is a 90 amp charger in Kindersley.

Thanks for the plugshare website! Very helpful.

On the question of charging between Saskatoon and Calgary: I have personally done the trip more than once. If you go via Edmonton or just south of Edmonton there are lots of options. It does require patience, and it really helps if you have better than the standard chargers installed in the car (you will go nuts if you only have the 40A or 48A charger). I can vouch for the stops in Saskatoon, Langham, North Battleford (great location at the back of a shopping mall, 80A), Lloydminster (slower, don't bother unless you need it), Vermilion (at a small mall with a grocery store), Vegreville (slow, but an amusing place to stop), the IKEA in Edmonton, Wetaskiwin city hall and of course the Red Deer supercharger.

I would not try going via Kindersley in the winter. It's too much of a stretch from there to Calgary. And what happens if there's a problem at Kindersley? My rule of thumb was to always charge to a level such that I could get to the charger PAST the next charger. That way if the next charger is unpowered or broken or just blocked by some other fool spending 5 hours getting free electricity :) you are not stuck.

Reactions: mrElbe
But we've derailed this thread enough.... now back to regular programming... there's a lot of talk down south about superchargers not delivering maximum power and it may be to save Tesla cash. Any news of that happening here?
Maybe. I stopped in Merritt on February 8th with 60% charge... I just wanted to try it out if I'm honest. It was -22 at the time and I got a whopping 42 kW. I would have expected I'd see more at 60% charge, but I wasn't entirely sure. And perhaps the temperature had an impact, even though the battery should have been reasonably warm after having driven almost an hour at speed.

@Hewey saw exactly the same numbers in Kamloops on the 22nd... 42 kW with 60% charge. But it was +2 at the time.

I'm wondering if something odd is going on... interesting to note that Kamloops always shows two plugs in use, whether anyone is there or not. I doubt the load sharing effect would happen unless cars are actually connected, but who knows... maybe the new 'feature' of advising of supercharger use in the car is buggy and somehow contributes to the problem?

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I was there (Calgary SC) on Saturday.
Mall was stupid packed,
the SC had cones/poles all around it to prevent parking,
there was a snarky Tesla parked between the poles,
I shoulda took a picture. (without the plate of course).
My wife and I had a good laugh over that.

I am afraid it will ICED so often especially during weekend and definitely on boxing day sale:mad:

I'm not sure what was along that row of parking spots before, but it appears that there are a bunch of 110V plugs just to the north of the current SuperCharger stalls. Do you think CrossIron is putting in J1772 or just standard 110VAC plugs for other EVs as well? That would be a nice touch and would definitely help with EV visibility. Though, the 110V plugs just look like block heater outlets, so I'm sure those would be ICEd even more than the Tesla SC stalls, being their signage is pretty clear.

While I believe Crossiron to be an excellent location for the supercharger (and I've mentioned that as a suggested location many times in the past)
I feel that the precise location at the mall is less than ideal. I would have recommended the South, North, or West sides of the mall, and further away from the doors. They placed the supercharger in the exact busiest parking area of the mall (possible exception being by the theatre on the other side.) ICEing is inevitable. The only real question will be whether mall security does anything about it. (that and how many local Teslas fill it up)

Cross Iron doesn't show as active on the Tesla website, not sure how long after activation before they show up. Ft. MacLeod was pretty quick, if I recall. It would be great if it's actually open, I'm headed down there on Thursday and it would simplify my life greatly if it's open.

Just went and checked the car, Cross Iron doesn't show in the nav system either. Maybe a little premature? Pics required.

184440.jpg

Someone posted Crossiron Mills SC on Plugshare..Just copied it

So I did a demo ride for someone yesterday evening and stopped at the Kamloops Supercharger. I pulled in with 65% charge and no yellow bars on the regen. Nobody else there and the nav was finally showing 4 of 4 available (was showing 2 in use all the time).

I plugged in and let it ramp up. I got 37 or 38 kW. Now, I don't typically use a Supercharger unless I'm traveling and running low... so I typically see bigger power numbers - over 100 kW. And I know that the charge rate tapers down. But 37 kW at 65% feels a little low to me.

Anyone else seeing anything different these days?