Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had not heard of this until a fellow owner happened to be driving by my house this morning as my wife was heading out. Apparently saw the car in the garage and stopped to chat, mentioned something about the event. I must say Footbag's recent situation has me wondering if I should return my car to Tesla while I am in my 90-day satisfaction window (lease); a little more info about rangers, service centres, and future plans would surely be welcomed although not the point of this event obviously. Between discussions about how long it takes to get parts/repairs for body work (perish the thought!) and charges/time for consumables replacement (apparently including 12V battery) it does make me wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew ownership-experience-wise. Odds of me returning the car are low, but as a new owner it's discouraging to hear such stories and makes me think twice about recommending the car as I have been doing to my boss and the roughly 10 other people who have expressed interet after seeing and talking to me about the car. Might drop by the Mac to see what's going on sometime this weekend.

Had not heard of this until a fellow owner happened to be driving by my house this morning as my wife was heading out. Apparently saw the car in the garage and stopped to chat, mentioned something about the event. I must say Footbag's recent situation has me wondering if I should return my car to Tesla while I am in my 90-day satisfaction window (lease); a little more info about rangers, service centres, and future plans would surely be welcomed although not the point of this event obviously. Between discussions about how long it takes to get parts/repairs for body work (perish the thought!) and charges/time for consumables replacement (apparently including 12V battery) it does make me wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew ownership-experience-wise. Odds of me returning the car are low, but as a new owner it's discouraging to hear such stories and makes me think twice about recommending the car as I have been doing to my boss and the roughly 10 other people who have expressed interet after seeing and talking to me about the car. Might drop by the Mac to see what's going on sometime this weekend.

TLej, I think (hope) this (service/ranger fee) may be a short term problem. I would hold on to your car. Out of the various issues I've had, none ultimately immobalized the car. Thus, driving to Calgary, while certainly not ideal, would have been an option to avoid the new ranger fee. I saw mention of Montreal SC charging the new ranger fee, and then backing away... That gives me hope that when the Calgary SC actually opens (was told within six months yesterday, not that I'm convinced of that), perhaps the management of Calgary's SC will also revert back to $100/visit.
After getting this 12V issue resolved, I'm going to insist on replacement batteries as a precaution during my annual servicing (already prepaid) (although to get those done, if nothing improves, may mean trips to Calgary, but once a year trips that I can plan in advance are a bit easier to accept).
The test drive event was a huge success for Tesla, they had far more interest than they expected. While small, that is another indicator to them not to exclude the Edmonton market. I did talk to a Tesla rep, as well as some 'potential owners'. The ranger fee is not something Tesla is being upfront with at all, which sucks, but while not excusable, I think part of that is because it doesn't apply to Calgary, and the Calgary staff my just be making almost honest mistakes in representing things.

Spurkey, I asked to be put on 'the list' for future Edmonton events. If I do actually receive notice, I'll be certain to share it. Oh, I'll add that while interest was high, it also seemed that a good number of folks just wanted the chance to drive 'the car all over youtube' (ludicrous mode and autopilot).

Steering back on topic... I'll be making use of western canadian superchargers later today (Red Deer)... <that's post worthy, isn't it?!>

- - - Updated - - -

I think they're luring you out of town with a free battery shipment and service call in Calgary... just in case you decide to turn up at the Edmonton event... :cool:

Didn't work, I stopped by anyway, but was on my almost best behavior! I could be wrong, but Sonny (Calgary Rep) seems almost a tad worried when he saw me (as I know he read my rant) lol.

I had 2 issues yesterday charging at Red Deer late at night. It was chilly out, and the chargers and cables were covered in frost. The first cable i plugged into went orange immediately. I tried several times, no difference. I moved to another stall. That cable would not insert into my car (I verified my pin wasn't the issue). I didn't see anything wrong with the end of the cable. I tried a third stall (the drive in stall) and all was fine. I was tired and wanted a nap while I charged, so I didn't report to tesla. I'm thinking something with the frost was the issue (not sure about the 2nd cable not plugging in... odd for sure).

I'm thinking something with the frost was the issue (not sure about the 2nd cable not plugging in... odd for sure).
I noticed with my UMC that if the connections are wet (or covered in ice/snow) it can cause that issue. My suspicion is that some of the plastic at the tip becomes conductive due to the moisture on it, and the car sees the cord as being inserted before it's all the way in, which causes the pin to try to lock even though the cord isn't in far enough yet.

I noticed with my UMC that if the connections are wet (or covered in ice/snow) it can cause that issue. My suspicion is that some of the plastic at the tip becomes conductive due to the moisture on it, and the car sees the cord as being inserted before it's all the way in, which causes the pin to try to lock even though the cord isn't in far enough yet.

Makes sense. It was late, and my analytical and problem solving skills where ... well they weren't. I'm just happy third time was the charm! I take it drying off as much of the charger end/tip as possible is likely a good troubleshooting step?

Makes sense. It was late, and my analytical and problem solving skills where ... well they weren't. I'm just happy third time was the charm! I take it drying off as much of the charger end/tip as possible is likely a good troubleshooting step?

How did the 12v batteryreplacement go with the ranger? Were you coming back to Edmonton from Calgary when you stopped at Red Deer? Will a full battery charge not take you without the stop at Red deer from Edmonton to Calgary and Vice versa?

It would seem like it, but it's easier said than done, the problem isn't on the surface, it's inside the connectors.

How did the 12v batteryreplacement go with the ranger? Were you coming back to Edmonton from Calgary when you stopped at Red Deer? Will a full battery charge not take you without the stop at Red deer from Edmonton to Calgary and Vice versa?

A full charge would indeed take me between Edmonton and Calgary - one way. As it was, I left Edmonton a bit low on charge. Stopped at Red Deer for a short top up (but was pressed for time), and then continued to Calgary. After the ranger work was done, I didn't have nearly enough charge to get back to Red Deer, so I stopped as Crossfield, where I applied the update, and then charged to get home. Other comments are in another thread.

I had 2 issues yesterday charging at Red Deer late at night. It was chilly out, and the chargers and cables were covered in frost. The first cable i plugged into went orange immediately. I tried several times, no difference.
Sorry we missed you - we went out to Banff on Friday and came back late Sunday afternoon. I've started to get the "orange ring" at several Superchargers too, for me it hasn't been temperature dependent. Orange means there's a communications problem/cable not seated properly problem, the solution has been thankfully simple: *gently* twist the connector back and forth while *gently* pushing it further into the car, after a few seconds you'll feel the connector slide about 2 mm and you'll be good to go. I cannot stress the "gently" portion enough - if you try and gorilla the connector into the car by twisting really hard or pushing really hard it will not work.

Sorry we missed you - we went out to Banff on Friday and came back late Sunday afternoon. I've started to get the "orange ring" at several Superchargers too, for me it hasn't been temperature dependent. Orange means there's a communications problem/cable not seated properly problem, the solution has been thankfully simple: *gently* twist the connector back and forth while *gently* pushing it further into the car, after a few seconds you'll feel the connector slide about 2 mm and you'll be good to go. I cannot stress the "gently" portion enough - if you try and gorilla the connector into the car by twisting really hard or pushing really hard it will not work.
My first Supercharging experiences was in -17C weather. Not only is the cable stiff, but most sites had snow in front of the supercharger, forcing me to compact the snow (didn't like the idea of using the rear of my Model S as a shovel/compacter), and some of them gave the orange ring because there were snow in the deep hallow middle portion. I got into the habit of blowing that part out. Once I had an idea of how deep it went into the socket, I could get charging started every time (provided there wasn't a compacted chunk of snow in connector).

some of them gave the orange ring because there were snow in the deep hallow middle portion. I got into the habit of blowing that part out. Once I had an idea of how deep it went into the socket, I could get charging started every time (provided there wasn't a compacted chunk of snow in connector).

What are your Tips and Tricks to do that for the Newbies??

The other important one is to try to make sure the end of the cable is free of snow

...how is snow getting into the end of the connector? The clip on the Supercharger unit is closed off to falling snow. I would've expected it on the SCH J1772 units because their "holsters" are much less secure plus the cables are longer, increasing the probability of the connector being dropped into a snow pile.