Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[There is a power outlet in the trunk ,Will a hair drier help instead of blowing?? :confused: May be a silly question , just asking.
Power outlet? not in my car there isn't....

...how is snow getting into the end of the connector? The clip on the Supercharger unit is closed off to falling snow. I would've expected it on the SCH J1772 units because their "holsters" are much less secure plus the cables are longer, increasing the probability of the connector being dropped into a snow pile.
Best guess, people are still dropping them in the snow....

You can put 12volts inverter which can be plugged in front that will output 110 Volts.

Buying a power inverter and plugging it into the lighter socket up front is not what the original post stated:

There is a power outlet in the trunk ,Will a hair drier help instead of blowing?? :confused: May be a silly question , just asking.
I don't know if this person confused the charge port with a power outlet. There is no power outlet on a Model S.

My 2008 Tahoe Hybrid has a household 120 volt outlet in the back plus a 12 volt DC "cigarette" plug in the back (plus two up front and one in the back seats). Tesla really needs to get with it and give us more outlets! (I keep an inverter in the car in case I need to plug in my notebook computer, etc.)

Buying a power inverter and plugging it into the lighter socket up front is not what the original post stated:

I don't know if this person confused the charge port with a power outlet. There is no power outlet on a Model S.

My bad.I know nothing about Model S. I had see the following Question on Model X in the Wiki . surprised to know there is no power outlet in the S being all electric. My ICE has one.
Q: Where are the interior power outlets?
A: Front row, center console: two USB and a 12V
Second row, back of center console: two USB
Trunk area, on left side: 12V

Okay, what's the best guess for the site of the next one to open? Merritt? That's my vote.
That part's easy. Merritt was supposed to be done last year, so it will be next. I was mostly lamenting the fact that Tesla doesn't seem to think this part of the world is that important when it comes to supercharger rollout. Apart from the USA we're the oldest Tesla market, but with the sparsest supercharger density of any country in which Tesla sells cars.

Apart from the USA we're the oldest Tesla market, but with the sparsest supercharger density of any country in which Tesla sells cars.

I bet if we look at it per capita, per area and per vehicles sold, we're doing pretty good, and perhaps have more than our fair share.

Also, I'm very appreciative we even have Superchargers -- especially considering they are being built privately by an American company. Our country, it's government, and public and private businesses, are more interested in building out pipelines, and investing in oil, than practically anything to do with alternative energy, or electric applications in transportation. We're the big oil dinosaur of the world. It's embarrassing.

You just had to drag politics into this, didn't you?
Oil is the reason that a Tesla is affordable for a LOT of people in this forum now and tomorrow. If people didn't want oil, we wouldn't be pumping, scraping or melting it out of the ground.

The SuperChargers will come, just slowly in the prairies and sparsely populated areas of the country unfortunately. But they'll make it. I foresee the Trans Canada done by 2020.

Our country, it's government, and public and private businesses, are more interested in building out pipelines, and investing in oil, than practically anything to do with alternative energy, or electric applications in transportation. We're the big oil dinosaur of the world. It's embarrassing.
That's not true of all parts of Canada. The province of Ontario has been criticized by many for blowing money on green energy initiatives and Ontario's electricity production involves very little GHG emissions - currently the CO2 intensity or our electricity production is 25g/kWh as 5.3% of our electricity comes from gas which is the only fossil fuel being used. I got an $8500 rebate from the Ont govt when I bought my Tesla and another $950 or so when I installed a charger at home.

If people didn't want oil, we wouldn't be pumping, scraping or melting it out of the ground.

People want alternatives to oil. We need alternatives -- not to save the planet -- but to save the life forms on the planet, including that higher primate species, homo sapiens, who will pump, scrape and melt anything they can for short term gain. We're a very myopic species. Granted, not very long ago we were huddled around fires to keep warm. The desire to dominate nature is built into our DNA and is (was) key to our survival. Now, however, we have to take a step back, look around at what we have created, and shut down things like the tar sands in favour of sustainable, renewable energy. That is, if we want to keep our species going forward. If not, we can continue with such atrocities as the tar sands. Of course, we can easily live without it -- in fact, we can live much better without it. It's really ironic how the price of oil can put much more of a damper on tar sands production and expansion than any environmental movement or will of the people. The all-mighty dollar does all the talking in the world we live in.

That's not true of all parts of Canada. The province of Ontario has been criticized by many for blowing money on green energy initiatives and Ontario's electricity production involves very little GHG emissions - currently the CO2 intensity or our electricity production is 25g/kWh as 5.3% of our electricity comes from gas which is the only fossil fuel being used. I got an $8500 rebate from the Ont govt when I bought my Tesla and another $950 or so when I installed a charger at home.

Yes, true. I stand corrected. We are making progress in some areas.

Now back to the topic. Merritt is likely next followed by ?.

I expected the Vancouver SuperCharger to be at the new sales/service center, but when I spoke with someone at the sales center a couple of weeks ago, he thought it would most likely be somewhere close to Hwy1.
I'd actually like to see it somewhere just east of the Port Mann, so people headed for Tsawwassen and the ferry can top up... or those headed into the City or Horseshoe Bay or Squamish can do the same. Deep in the core of the city would seem to contradict the 'distance travel' purpose of the Superchargers.

I'd actually like to see it somewhere just east of the Port Mann, so people headed for Tsawwassen and the ferry can top up... or those headed into the City or Horseshoe Bay or Squamish can do the same. Deep in the core of the city would seem to contradict the 'distance travel' purpose of the Superchargers.

Superchargers in Vancouver and Calgary seem unlikely. The big cities are for destination charging or passing through to next charger. I live in Calgary and I've driven to the coast twice and I see no need for either city to have a supercharger. I would much prefer a supercharger or two to connect Red Deer/Canmore to the US grid than an SC in Calgary.

Ferry top-up would be convenient for island travel, although Hope or Squamish are close enough to cover much of Vancouver Island.

Persinally I'd love to connect Regina &/or Saskatoon. I don't know how many cars are in those cities, but I suspect there are also people interested in going the other way.