Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Burlington WA, SC this past weekend and at 50% SOC I was getting about 75kW. In the past I could get over 100kW. There was also nobody else sharing the charger with me. Hopefully the software update coming up will bring up the kW at the SC.
It's one of those cases where a rumour might get started if we aren't careful! However, I have a feeling that the output from the superchargers isn't as high as it was. I don't think that's a result of firmware changes (although it very well could be), but at the supercharger end. I don't know why I think that - perhaps because I haven't seen a firmware upgrade in some time and the supercharger issue seems more recent.
Perhaps peak demand charges are adding up and Tesla is trying to save costs? Given that usage will only go up as production increases, NOT maximizing both the possible output of the superchargers and the ability of the battery packs to absorb the power, seems to be a poor plan.

Supercharger taper has always been VERY severe. I don't remember all of it, but I do remember that by 50% battery you're down to about 60kw
So with 75kW at 50%, If anything, they're actually increasing the rate you can charge at. Any memories of getting 100kW was certainly on a much closer to empty battery.

Now 37kW at 65% seems a little low, but not by much, and without consulting the previous supercharger taper graphs I can't be sure if that's really any worse than "normal"

This is why a 62kW CHAdeMO is really not all that much slower than a 130kW Supercharger, the supercharger is below that rating for most of it's charge time anyway. (especially as most people end up filling from more like 20% up instead of from 0%)
And why Tesla feels confident splitting that 130kW Supercharger across 2 different cars.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Except nobody actually gets 62(.5)kW out of a CHAdeMO charger since that's based on a 500V voltage, right?

Right, and in my 85 I have never gotten more than 47 kW from CHadeMO. This is the max based on 125A at an SOC% of 76%. However, I can only get 41 kW when the battery is nearly empty and the voltage is around 330V.

What's worse is that many CHAdeMO units are limited to 100A, so the range is 33 kW - 41 kW.

Regarding Supercharger speed: are you taking temperature into account?

I think over the years Tesla has become more conservative with respect to cold batteries. Regen is disabled at a higher temperature than it used to be 4 years ago, I'm quite sure.

Plugging in at just -5 C or so, it can take 10 minutes before you see the normal power. If you have a performance model, try the "Max Battery" button under driving - does it say, as mine did just today, that it would take more than an hour to heat up the battery to the "max battery" temperature? If so, that's a cold battery. Plugging into the CHAdeMO charger today at +1 C I initially got 15 kW. It ramped up to 40 kW once the battery warmed up. You will see similar behaviour at a Supercharger.

So I did a demo ride for someone yesterday evening and stopped at the Kamloops Supercharger. I pulled in with 65% charge and no yellow bars on the regen. Nobody else there and the nav was finally showing 4 of 4 available (was showing 2 in use all the time).

I plugged in and let it ramp up. I got 37 or 38 kW. Now, I don't typically use a Supercharger unless I'm traveling and running low... so I typically see bigger power numbers - over 100 kW. And I know that the charge rate tapers down. But 37 kW at 65% feels a little low to me.

Anyone else seeing anything different these days?
Last Friday I pulled into the Hope supercharger with 36 km (rated range) remaining on our 2013 RWD S85. The chart below gives the observed charging rate versus battery charge measured in rated range (and calculated SOC with 425km == 100%). Note that a full range charge on this vehicle is now 408 km (71,000 km on the odometer).
Rated
km
Calculated
%SOC
Supercharger
Power
36 km8 %117 kW
180 km43%80 kW
300 km71%48 kW
330 km78%40 kW
369 km87%30 kW

I was at the Burlington WA, SC this past weekend and at 50% SOC I was getting about 75kW. In the past I could get over 100kW. There was also nobody else sharing the charger with me. Hopefully the software update coming up will bring up the kW at the SC.

it is my observation that Burlington chargers vary quite a bit, notwithstanding the number of cars there. I have been there several times by myself and have gotten surprisingly different rates at different pilons. I suggest moving the car to another charger. YMMV.

Last Friday I pulled into the Hope supercharger with 36 km (rated range) remaining on our 2013 RWD S85. The chart below gives the observed charging rate versus battery charge measured in rated range (and calculated SOC with 425km == 100%). Note that a full range charge on this vehicle is now 408 km (71,000 km on the odometer).
Rated
km
Calculated
%SOC
Supercharger
Power
36 km8 %117 kW
180 km43%80 kW
300 km71%48 kW
330 km78%40 kW
369 km87%30 kW
Yeah, so those numbers suggest what I was seeing was, in fact, a little on the low side. I'll have to go by there again and try different units to see if there may have been a hardware issue. Your 71% point should have been slower than my 65%, but I was getting 37 kW to your 48 kW. Seems strange...

Rated
km
Calculated
%SOC
Supercharger
Power
36 km8 %117 kW
180 km43%80 kW
300 km71%48 kW
330 km78%40 kW
369 km87%30 kW

Went to Cross Iron Mills late this afternoon. I was the only charging when I arrived and when i left before my car finished charging. As I only went to check them out and buy some shoes for the kids I left a note just in case things filled up While I did my chores. I note that I did not see any security as was posted earlier, but the mall did putnout pylons and even though the mall parking was packed and people were parking everywhere, there was not one stall that was iced. Have to give the mall 10 out of 10 for this as the spots are close to the food court and people parked everywhere.

In terms of charge rates, I arrived with a half charge charge and my starting percentages were as described in this chart but fortunately not where we need to charge :)

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
Cross Iron doesn't show as active on the Tesla website, not sure how long after activation before they show up. Just went and checked the car, Cross Iron doesn't show in the nav system either. Maybe a little premature? Pics required.

Now showing on Tesla website as:
Rocky View Supercharger
Supercharger Only
Crosslron Mills
261055 Crossiron Blvd
Rocky View T4A OG3
Driving Directions

Reactions: TLej
They just use whatever is used in the address of the location. In this case (according to Google), the address is:

261055 Crossiron Blvd, Rocky View No. 44, AB T4A 0G3, Canada

So that's why it's called the Rocky View Supercharger. There has been similar confusion at other Superchargers, Bakersfield and Gustine for example. Would be more descriptive to call those Santa Nella and Stockdale Highway, but they just used the local address which uses towns that are 5-15 miles away.

• Informative
Reactions: skrenes