Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup... ;-)

My guess is it'll be live in September.

I started working on my contacts in SmartREIT to see about doing a nationwide deal, back in 2015. They actually did talk to Tesla at that time. But nothing happened. No way to make a deal if there wasn't a lease associated with the superchargers. I tried the discussion a few more times, pointing out that cars charging meant captive drivers looking for a way to spend the time... and always got some mild interest, but never anything solid. Then they evidently did a deal without me hearing anything about it. SmartREIT has choice properties all across the country, generally in good reach of major highways, so it was a no-brainer to see the synergy. It amazes me that they took this long to figure it out - they were the people that had Wal-Mart sites locked down across Canada before Wal-Mart appeared in Canada - they're pretty smart players!

I'd like to think that I had something to do with this finally happening, but I suspect the truth is they eventually just figured it out for themselves...

And I'd wager the Sicamous location will disappear from the Tesla map when they finally show Salmon Arm!

Picture was taken two days ago. Still no sign of any construction at the Wal-Mart in Salmon Arm:
IMG_7405.jpeg

Was anyone able to drive directly from kamloops Spc to whistler, BC Spc with S85D? Thanks

I *almost* did it last October. Cold, windy and unplowed wet snow west of Lillooet. Looking at Teslalog data from that trip...:

I left Kamloops with 95% charge because I planned to stop in Lillooet for a Level 2 boost if consumption required (had a deadline to meet). Arrived in Lillooet with 50%. Temperature was between 5 and 10 Celsius on that leg.

The charger in Lillooet provided me with 80 amps at 240 volts and I stayed for almost 45 minutes. Departed with 65% charge.

Lillooet to Whistler was white-knuckle. Wet slippery snow with no snow removal. I arrived in Whistler with 16% charge. Outside temperature started at 5 and quickly dropped to 0 for most of the trip.

Assuming the battery charge/range state is perfectly linear, I would have used 94% of my charge in my 85D. Keep in mind, I didn't spare the whip on the way to Lillooet from Kamloops. The run over to Whistler was slower, but I was also pushing snow. 260 Wh/km over 136 km and the trip took over 2 hours. And I was running Nokian winter tires.

If I was to do it again in the summer, I'd probably try to start with a 100% charge (I rarely do that for battery longevity!) and watch my consumption to Lillooet. If it was looking iffy, I'd plan to stop for a while in Lillooet just to make sure I'd make it the rest of the way. Plenty of steep hills at the beginning, but also some steep downhills at the end. If you're sight-seeing and not pushed for time, you can probably improve on my numbers!

The charger at Retasket Lodge in Lillooet is showing a failed charge in a Plugshare entry from a couple of weeks ago. Reliable otherwise. Definitely a friendly location, but might be worth calling ahead to make sure it's all good to go. I knew they wouldn't accept any cash to offset their costs, so I brought a box of Tim Horton's donuts with me instead... ;-)

Thanks beeeerock and plus ev.
How about driving from Canmore to Jasper National Park then back to Golden, BC with S85D? Have anyone done this roadtrip yet? Thanks
Well we will be doing that exact same trip in a week, except that we’ll do it in an VW golf. There are several chargers around the place at hotels and community centres around the place
If you need a place to charge go on PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You but there are probably many hotels with regular wall outlets that you can use.

How about driving from Canmore to Jasper National Park then back to Golden, BC with S85D? Have anyone done this roadtrip yet? Thanks
That's 617km (I mapped it from supercharger to the city of Jasper to the other supercharger) assuming no diversions so you'll need to charge along the way for that one. Consult Plugshare and I'm guessing you will find some level 2 options and possibly even Chademo.

I did the trip from Canmore to Jasper round trip in a Model X 100D test drive last summer. Keeping the speed moderate around the 90 km/hr speed limit I had about 25% charge left at the end of each leg after charging to 100% at the beginning. A spectacular trip and I hope you enjoy it. There are several Level 2 chargers available in Jasper.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Does anyone here feel that the Calgary supercharger will be ready soon at Chinook ctr? We will be going thru herein two weeks time and i was wwondering if it would be worth checking out.

I was at the Merritt SC last Wednesday and there was a minivan ICE'ing one of the spots, it turned out to be a Tesla engineer who said he was traveling to all of the Western Canada Superchargers to check and see if they are stil within specifications. He reported that everything was looking good at all of the sites he has visited so far and showed me how the pedestals at Merritt were still level and did not appear to be affected by the freeze / thaw cycles, apparently the recently installed Western Canada Superchargers were over-engineered for durability.

When I read the first part of your post I thought "about time" since I've been avoiding a couple in Hope that don't go above about 70 kW even when I arrive with a low battery. So, hopefully, he's making his way to Hope (pun intended) to fix them.
Agree on Hope! Had a similar experience there, even with the new ones they installed just last year. This guy seemed to be checking the physical condition of the facilities, rather than delivery of electrons.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
When I read the first part of your post I thought "about time" since I've been avoiding a couple in Hope that don't go above about 70 kW even when I arrive with a low battery. So, hopefully, he's making his way to Hope (pun intended) to fix them.
It's also too bad they gave him a minivan to drive around. Would be much better if he got to experience charging at each location while he was there.

I was at the Merritt SC last Wednesday and there was a minivan ICE'ing one of the spots, it turned out to be a Tesla engineer who said he was traveling to all of the Western Canada Superchargers to check and see if they are stil within specifications. He reported that everything was looking good at all of the sites he has visited so far and showed me how the pedestals at Merritt were still level and did not appear to be affected by the freeze / thaw cycles, apparently the recently installed Western Canada Superchargers were over-engineered for durability.
I used Kelowna, Merritt, Kamloops, Hope and Vancouver on Friday and they all worked GREAT even in some extremely warm temperatures.

Kelowna has an entire fleet of taxis called "Current Taxi," and they seem to constantly be using the supercharger. So I guess this is the Canadian version of Tesloop. Probably no issues with crowding in Kelowna, but I still find this practice/business model rather reprehensible.