Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with making a round trip from the Supercharger at Canmore up to the Columbia Icefield Visitor Center and back? I'm driving an 85D, so I can't make it with a single charge but it looks like there are some destination charging options. Looking for advice if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Well, given that the center of Canada is a bit East of Winnipeg, that would place Portage La Prairie (PLAP) as West.
To allow for a Mid-Canada section, you can't choose the geographic center of the country as a reference. Otherwise, you'd be forced to conclude that the only locations that would qualify as Mid-Canada are superchargers built in that one exact spot, as by the same logic you used all other locations are either east or west of it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
Does anyone have any experience with making a round trip from the Supercharger at Canmore up to the Columbia Icefield Visitor Center and back? I'm driving an 85D, so I can't make it with a single charge but it looks like there are some destination charging options. Looking for advice if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks!

I didn't do a round trip from Canmore and back, but early July I did Edmonton-Jasper-Columbia Icefield-Canmore and back to Edmonton in the Model 3 LR AWD.

There aren't any public charging options at the Columbia Icefield Visitor Centre.
While there are campgrounds near the visitor centre, they are unserviced with no power.
The Saskatchewan Crossing gas station/restaurant has to generate its own electricity as there is no grid connection there, so there is no public outlets there either.

The closest chargers are Tesla destination chargers and J1772 in the Fairmont Chateau parkade in Lake Louise which is in between Columbia Icefields and Canmore. They are for guests only however. Having a meal in the restaurant should qualify but will likely be pricey (phone them beforehand to be sure).
Check the plugshare page on these chargers for more information.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

From ABRP it looks like you will need a 2 hours and 15 minutes stopover here either on the way in or on the way back (or in both directions) to get you back to Canmore in an 85D (on the way in would allow you to emergency charge at Lake Louise again on the way back if your power consumption is more than expected). There's gorgeous scenery at Lake Louise to bide your time, although it is a tourist trap.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
From ABRP it looks like you will need a 2 hours and 15 minutes stopover here either on the way in or on the way back (or in both directions) to get you back to Canmore in an 85D (on the way in would allow you to emergency charge at Lake Louise again on the way back if your power consumption is more than expected). There's gorgeous scenery at Lake Louise to bide your time, although it is a tourist trap.

Chances are the place will be packed with tourists, so maybe you could try the 2 Destination Chargers at the Ski Resort in Lake Louise instead.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
We did this in our MS75D by making a side-trip to the free CHAdeMO charger in Field. There is also a L2 there if you do not have an adapter. Field is a nice place to visit and the Yoho NP visitor center is at the charger. It is CHAdeMO timeframe interesting -- maybe not L2 interesting...:D

• Informative
Reactions: abasile

Whoops...
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 5.52.07 PM.png

Considering that the article mentions 2 charging stations, maybe one of them will have L2 EVSE with J1772 connectors. We know that Tesla isn't installing 2 different supercharging locations in Moose Jaw no matter what the article says, that would be ridiculous. So, if their information is correct that Tesla will be installing things in 2 locations, it isn't unreasonable to think one might have a universal connector capable of charging non-Teslas. They just aren't making the distinction between L2 and L3 (DCFC).

Reactions: SammichLover
Considering that the article mentions 2 charging stations, maybe one of them will have L2 EVSE with J1772 connectors. We know that Tesla isn't installing 2 different supercharging locations in Moose Jaw no matter what the article says, that would be ridiculous. So, if their information is correct that Tesla will be installing things in 2 locations, it isn't unreasonable to think one might have a universal connector capable of charging non-Teslas. They just aren't making the distinction between L2 and L3 (DCFC).

I hope so. I've pushed people to install L2/J1772 at places where you stop for "a while". It always seems like a good idea.

Of course, as an EV only family member, I'm biased :)

According to PlugShare there's a CCS/CHAdeMO station being built at a Petro-Canada in Moose Jaw. Maybe that's what the article was referring to.

Lots of DCFC stations being built all over the map, some already built that looks like nobody knows about.

I was surprised to see one being built in Lloydminster. Soon you'll be able to drive from Edmonton to Saskatoon with a stop midway when you have to eat anyway.

According to PlugShare there's a CCS/CHAdeMO station being built at a Petro-Canada in Moose Jaw. Maybe that's what the article was referring to.

Lots of DCFC stations being built all over the map, some already built that looks like nobody knows about.

I was surprised to see one being built in Lloydminster. Soon you'll be able to drive from Edmonton to Saskatoon with a stop midway when you have to eat anyway.

I do wonder if those DCFC is a meaningful factor in the Davidson SC coming into existence now, where there's never been a grey pin on Tesla's map before.