Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understandable....except for the fact that, surprising as it is, there is a really big long-distance high-voltage line that parallels most of the Cassiar as of about four years ago, and it has BC Hydro more than a bit frustrated in that its capacity is nowhere near utilized. So.......

I don't trumpet this much, but we love the Cassiar now. It's so much better than the AlCan for all travel except that which must head to/from Edmonton AB.

Understandable....except for the fact that, surprising as it is, there is a really big long-distance high-voltage line that parallels most of the Cassiar as of about four years ago, and it has BC Hydro more than a bit frustrated in that its capacity is nowhere near utilized. So.......

I don't trumpet this much, but we love the Cassiar now. It's so much better than the AlCan for all travel except that which must head to/from Edmonton AB.
Okay I’ll bite. How is it better? I didn’t even think it was paved the whole way.

In terms of time, the two highways are basically a wash when driving from Seattle/Vancouver. The AlCan is much faster if driving from Alberta or points eastward.

1. I agree re faster if to/from Edmonton but not so if Calgary.

2. The Cassiar WAS infamously hellish. I’ve my worst travel stories from it. BUT it now is fully paved*, and wonderfully done, too; much less traffic, and none of that horrid oilfield traffic that makes the Peace Country really unpleasant.
* except for a 350-meter stretch on the south ramp of the Stikine. So only 99.9944% paved.

Indeed, I believe they have been. But there have been quite such a number in many, many places for quite a very, very, very long while!

Terrific that CT remains on board and more so.

Anyone know how we could petition Tesla to get some Superchargers on Hwy 95 in BC? The east Kootenays will have a charger at the top in Golden, then one on both of the east/west Hwy 3 entrances at the south (one in Creston, one in Fernie)... but nothing for people visiting the east Koots region itself.

Example: I was just in Kimberley for the weekend - I could get there on one charge in my LR from Nelson, but couldn't find anywhere to destination charge near where I was staying. End result was that I had to borrow a friend's CHAdeMO adapter and use the one DCFC available in Cranbrook... and at 30kW, I'm not interested in doing that very often. None of the 3 chargers mentioned above will help people from BC or AB who want to vacation/visit the east Kootenays and actually do any driving while they are there.

Anyone know how we could petition Tesla to get some Superchargers on Hwy 95 in BC? The east Kootenays will have a charger at the top in Golden, then one on both of the east/west Hwy 3 entrances at the south (one in Creston, one in Fernie)... but nothing for people visiting the east Koots region itself.

Maybe someone should warn Tesla about the major construction planned on Hwy 1 east of Golden. For the next several years, there will full closures lasting months. The detour via the 95/93 will add about 100km driving distance from Golden to Canmore, so a supercharger in Radium would be really nice.

(I appreciate that wouldn't help you in Kimberley.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Utahken and Lon12
Maybe someone should warn Tesla about the major construction planned on Hwy 1 east of Golden. For the next several years, there will full closures lasting months. The detour via the 95/93 will add about 100km driving distance from Golden to Canmore, so a supercharger in Radium would be really nice.

Radium would be a good spot as many people come in from that side - Cranbrook would be the other ideal spot as the hub of the southern end. I bet it'll happen in the longer-term... I'm just impatient for now haha! I bought my Leaf back in 2014 and travelled around the southern half of the province by plugging into a wall and using Level 2's for years... waiting for DCFCs. They are finally here, but weak (slow) and prone to failure unlike Superchargers (and why do they only install them 1 at a time!! Drives me crazy, makes it more expensive in the end because they need to redo all the engineering, permitting, trenching, etc).

Reactions: Brad_S

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wasn't aware of the closure. Hwy 93 and 95 are going to be awful with all that semi traffic routed through the area. I foresee lots of accidents and jammed up traffic.

The location of the future Kalispell Montana Supercharger is now known to be at the Super 1 Foods on 1st Ave
Supercharger - Kalispell, MT
2E190F8B-7577-438C-879F-7066FDB33F0D.jpeg

Did you mean to put this in this thread? It's west, but it's not Canada.

It's funny, I thought the same thing. I'm not sure MT is ready to join Canada.

However, anyone in the prairie provinces needs some chargers in this region if they want to head down to the US South-West. I suppose that's why it's somewhat relevant here. Most Alberta snowbirds head to AZ, UT or around the Palm Springs area for winter and there's a big gap south of Lethbridge, AB when heading South.