Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was through there 4 times over the last month with our S 85D. We did not experience any wait. Merritt needs to have its capacity doubled, mainly for the fact it is a junction point going to Kamloops/Kelowna/and eventually Princeton/Osoyoos chargers. We actually make a point of counting/passing other Tesla's to Merritt just to avoid the over crowding. This route is best travelled off-peak. Compounding the issue is us slow 85kw packs with the neutered superchargering.

Yikes, didn't know Merritt could be so busy!! I usually skip over it and use Hope/Kelowna. Wonder if those are all SR+ or something? The one time I've been there, we were the only ones there in the middle of the day.

Honestly makes me a bit sad (for myself). Don't really want to head to the coast or Vancouver Island if there's hour-long lineups at the chargers. There's a pretty big difference between two 30 minute charges (1hr) and a two charge+waits (3hr?) for an otherwise 5h drive. This actually encourages me to take our gas vehicle.
The backups are usually only on weekend afternoon/evenings, especially holiday weekends. So if your travel plans can avoid those times, then it should basically never be an issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
https://twitter.com/NatalCicuto/status/1289774567854993408

2SZtcOn.jpg

Highly doubt he meant "working on some of those ones specifically". Probably "working on some in BC", which has been on their public map for a while.

I see about 5 permits with dates but no completion dates on any. Still none for the 97 corridor north. Looks like more to come from BC hydro and Fortis though, all the way thru prince Rupert with Chademo and CCS. Important for us. I think it will be years before Tesla looks at this route. Understandable.

• Informative
Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
wow! Tesla has the stats on the continuous charging so I doubt this is not known to them. Definately need to expand these pivot points for charging along main routes as this is the main point of superchargers.
Yeah, sort of scary how Tesla has so much data at their fingertips...

Charging, Driving style, routes, everything...

Also very interesting and I wish I had some data too xD

Wow, that Merritt picture scared me. I have been there a couple of times was always the only one. We are planning a trip to Banff in a couple of weeks. I just looked at the map the other day and indeed Merritt, Kamloops and even Revelstoke showed all 0 of X available...

• Helpful
Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Wow, that Merritt picture scared me. I have been there a couple of times was always the only one. We are planning a trip to Banff in a couple of weeks. I just looked at the map the other day and indeed Merritt, Kamloops and even Revelstoke showed all 0 of X available...

Beg borrow or steal a Chademo adapter and with some well planned breaks you can lessen your reliability on the Supercharger network. I think in a year from now supercharger capacity will have changed very little but we’ll probably see double the Tesla’s on the road. Chademo use will be pivotal to Tesla travel in BC. At some point it will also bring Tesla sales to a grinding halt in B.C. I get it. There are much bigger markets than us. But the success of the brand is starting to work against it somewhat.

Cache creek will help and take some pressure off Merritt for those of us who enjoy the canyons route.

Beg borrow or steal a Chademo adapter and with some well planned breaks you can lessen your reliability on the Supercharger network. I think in a year from now supercharger capacity will have changed very little but we’ll probably see double the Tesla’s on the road. Chademo use will be pivotal to Tesla travel in BC. At some point it will also bring Tesla sales to a grinding halt in B.C. I get it. There are much bigger markets than us. But the success of the brand is starting to work against it somewhat.

cache creek will help and take some pressure off Merritt for those of us who enjoy the canyons route.

+1 on the CHAdeMO adapter. It opens up a lot of backup options in case of full or out-of-service Superchargers. I bought one just to keep in the frunk for trips. I didn't have to use it a single time (aside from an unnecessary test) on a recent 13,000 mile trip in the US, but it was nice to have the peace of mind.

Reactions: PLUS EV
+1 on the CHAdeMO adapter. It opens up a lot of backup options in case of full or out-of-service Superchargers. I bought one just to keep in the frunk for trips. I didn't have to use it a single time (aside from an unnecessary test) on a recent 13,000 mile trip in the US, but it was nice to have the peace of mind.

Go and look at the check in logs of many of the B.C. hydro or Fortis fast chargers and they are primarily Tesla’s. Many are in the Kootenays of course where there are no Superchargers. Any chance of other providers getting rid of Chademo would seem low to me as the vast majority of fast charge users are Chademo and the vast majority of them are Tesla.

Wish a CCS adapter or method of use was possible as I think they are extremely under utilized in BC.

Paying $602 canadian for fuel (ChaDeMo adapter) seems kinda backwards to the EV philosophy. How long would that take to pay off anyway? I guess it depends on your time and how long you wait to charge or wait to use your car while L2 AC charging.

For me, that would take a LONG time. For me, that's more than a monthly payment on my car.

Paying $602 canadian for fuel (ChaDeMo adapter) seems kinda backwards to the EV philosophy. How long would that take to pay off anyway? I guess it depends on your time and how long you wait to charge or wait to use your car while L2 AC charging.

For me, that would take a LONG time. For me, that's more than a monthly payment on my car.

For many many people, getting the CHAdeMO adapter is more about opening up where they can go (in BC) than providing a secondary charge option if Superchargers are full. It was 100% necessary for our tour of Vancouver Island the way we did it (i.e. not constantly looping back to Nanaimo). It was also necessary with our route into the states from the Okanagan valley (the gap between Superchargers is just too much except for the most ideal circumstances... and we went in Winter). Not to mention all the other places we can now go - east, north, to a bunch of smaller towns and less-traveled routes. Supercharger infrastructure is simply bad for all but the most primary routes. Fortis and BC Hydro have really rapidly deployed these stations and it's fantastic.

I'd say free CHAdeMO stations have almost half "paid" for the adapter. This won't be everyone's case. The value to go many more places is what got us to buy it.

I actually don't recommend getting the adapter to avoid Supercharger lines. Most places only have 1x CHAdeMO plug available. First, good luck not waiting for that during peak travel times (when Superchargers are busy, basically), and second, good luck not pissing off other EV owners who think Teslas should just use Superchargers and leave the limited number of plugs per site for the other EVs. You'd probably wait in line longer at a CHAdeMO station if lines existed at the Superchargers.

Reactions: Big Earl
Go and look at the check in logs of many of the B.C. hydro or Fortis fast chargers and they are primarily Tesla’s. Many are in the Kootenays of course where there are no Superchargers. Any chance of other providers getting rid of Chademo would seem low to me as the vast majority of fast charge users are Chademo and the vast majority of them are Tesla.

Wish a CCS adapter or method of use was possible as I think they are extremely under utilized in BC.

It’s more about the utility of the car, not the price of the adapter. We just factored it into the purchase price. Without it you are limited to the trans Canada highway corridor. With it you can go anywhere. Depends what you need the car to do. Everybody has different needs.

Reactions: Big Earl
For many many people, getting the CHAdeMO adapter is more about opening up where they can go (in BC) than providing a secondary charge option if Superchargers are full. It was 100% necessary for our tour of Vancouver Island the way we did it (i.e. not constantly looping back to Nanaimo). It was also necessary with our route into the states from the Okanagan valley (the gap between Superchargers is just too much except for the most ideal circumstances... and we went in Winter). Not to mention all the other places we can now go - east, north, to a bunch of smaller towns and less-traveled routes. Supercharger infrastructure is simply bad for all but the most primary routes. Fortis and BC Hydro have really rapidly deployed these stations and it's fantastic.

I'd say free CHAdeMO stations have almost half "paid" for the adapter. This won't be everyone's case. The value to go many more places is what got us to buy it.

I actually don't recommend getting the adapter to avoid Supercharger lines. Most places only have 1x CHAdeMO plug available. First, good luck not waiting for that during peak travel times (when Superchargers are busy, basically), and second, good luck not pissing off other EV owners who think Teslas should just use Superchargers and leave the limited number of plugs per site for the other EVs. You'd probably wait in line longer at a CHAdeMO station if lines existed at the Superchargers.

It’s more about the utility of the car, not the price of the adapter. We just factored it into the purchase price. Without it you are limited to the trans Canada highway corridor. With it you can go anywhere. Depends what you need the car to do. Everybody has different needs.

Both great examples of things I didn't consider. Still, for the cost of that utility, it almost feels like I should be renting and driving a gas car. I know the adapter would pay for itself in a few of those types of trips though.

If this were a CCS Combo 1 plug adapter, I wouldn't even question it, and I'd already own it. ChaDeMo has a few years left in it but I need more than a few years out of a $600 investment. Tesla, where is our CCS Combo 1 adapter?

Both great examples of things I didn't consider. Still, for the cost of that utility, it almost feels like I should be renting and driving a gas car. I know the adapter would pay for itself in a few of those types of trips though.

If this were a CCS Combo 1 plug adapter, I wouldn't even question it, and I'd already own it. ChaDeMo has a few years left in it but I need more than a few years out of a $600 investment. Tesla, where is our CCS Combo 1 adapter?

One could hope, with all the data they suck up, that they're seeing the number of CHAdeMO users in BC. A bad way to interpret this IMO (despite the location/topic of this thread) would be to install more Superchargers. If they're just compatible with CCS they don't even need to do us the "favour" of providing more Superchargers. BC Hydro, Fortis, Canadian Tire/Electrify Canada, and Petro Can are all taking care of that nicely and better than Tesla has the resources for. Sigh. One can dream.

One could hope, with all the data they suck up, that they're seeing the number of CHAdeMO users in BC. A bad way to interpret this IMO (despite the location/topic of this thread) would be to install more Superchargers. If they're just compatible with CCS they don't even need to do us the "favour" of providing more Superchargers. BC Hydro, Fortis, Canadian Tire/Electrify Canada, and Petro Can are all taking care of that nicely and better than Tesla has the resources for. Sigh. One can dream.

Yah. I agree. Tesla needs to put its money where it gets the best bang for the buck and I doubt that is BC. I'm not sure a CCS adapter will ever come out though as the standard doesn't allow it. What the politics or legalities of building something out of a standard are I don't know but there must be consequences. Also, i'm not sure if a CCS adapter would be any faster than a Chademo adapter. Cooling etc. I would think a better way to go would be to have Fortis and BC Hydro and FLO and the others just add Tesla connectors to their units like EVGO does in California. .

I doubt the province would allow any chain to not include Chademo as probably 80 percent of EV's in BC are Chademo compatible. For them to allow removal of Chademo would pull the rug out from under the entire BC EV program. The two most numerous EV's in BC are Tesla and Leaf, both which are chademo. Don't think Chademo is going anywhere soon.

I don't understand Electrify Canada's or Electrify Americas business plan. They build EV charge locations that specifically (mostly) exclude their potentially biggest customers. I'm sure there is more to it than I see. Weird though.