Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kelowna and Merritt are great news!

Is it just me or do others think that these early days will be the best of the Supercharger days? 10 years from now with the Model S, X, 3 on the streets in much greater numbers I just don't see how Hope, for example, won't always be full up. I guess they will build more, like they are doing at the busy ones in the States, but I still think these early days will be the best for ease of availability.

I won't have thought it would take an extra hour to get 100 km. I've used the SCs on the US west coast and never waited more than 45 minutes to basically get a full charge from near empty. (400 km) Mind you it wasn't that cold.

In our experience last summer on the down-the-west-coast-across-to-the-east-coast route, getting to "basically a full charge" was ok; but getting that last 20-30km to 100% takes another 30-45 minutes, or more.

Any guesses as to where they'll put the Vancouver station?

I'm very curious about this since Burlington to Squamish = 191km and Hope to Squamish = 215km. If on Hwy 1, hoping for the 176th St junction. Even closer to Vancouver would be great, but does anyone think they'll actually put one in the city? It's possible, since it's great advertising. Right downtown near the store would be phenomenal. Teslas Underground Supercharger Station In London Is Glorious - Gas 2

My guess is that they will put it at the service center. Or perhaps the new one that they are planning since the current one is too small. Didn't they put it at the service center in Toronto?

I would be shocked if it was at the current service center. There is no extra space and the location is terrible. Have you heard any rumours about where the new service center might be? That could make sense.

I'd love to see one at YVR some day, servicing a fleet of Model 3 taxis.

Last edited:
Still nothing planned for Vancouver Island. Just one Supercharger would make it possible to do Victoria to the west coast or a long way up island, whereas now it cannot be done in one day.

I specifically suggested this to the head of the Supercharger team. He made no commitment, but said they would look at it.

The other additions to the 2016 forecast closely mirror other input from the owner community, so I do think they are listening/watching.

- - - Updated - - -

Even closer to Vancouver would be great, but does anyone think they'll actually put one in the city? It's possible, since it's great advertising. Right downtown near the store would be phenomenal. Teslas Underground Supercharger Station In London Is Glorious - Gas 2

They have added an urban strategy since the early design of the system. There are now five superchargers in Greater London, UK, for example. So I think they realize (and have gotten feedback) that there at lots of apartment/condo dwellers in Vancouver with no access to overnight charging at their residence. For such people, an urban supercharger is a godsend.

Well, according to both the CFL and the NHL, Winnipeg is "west". So I guess that's definitive!

FYI, as I grew up in Kenora, ON and our extended family was in Tdot area, I'll point out that it's definitely faster/shorter to drive south into Minnesota, then east along northern Wisconsin, then over the Mackinac and cross at Sarnia/Port Huron. Driving north of Superior then south on 69/400 is longer ... and a lot more treacherous in winter.
Ken from Kenora? :)

My wife is from Thunder Bay so I've been through Kenora a few times. North Van is a long way from Kenora (and a significant upgrade too!).

- - - Updated - - -

Great news about Calgary getting a SuperCharger but even better (for me) is Kelowna where we go each summer.

I'll add a bit of clarity Frank.

Based on that info, and the descent from Kamloops into Merrit, I would have thought leaving with the charge I did would have worked. Now, based on the charging question thingy (how far can I go page) on Tesla Motors, driving at -10, night, with heater (obviously with kids and it was more than -10), at 120km (the speed limit) only let's you go 200 ish km. However, Tesla has said that super chargers are placed a distance apart that would allow a 60kw battery (which is what I drive), to make it between them with a full charge.

Today I returned from merrit, leaving town with 191km, -5 avg temperatur, and avg speed of 105km/hour (snowy day), fully loaded and made it into hope with 20km remaining. So that means that had I driven the speed limit, I would have needed in the area of 200-215 km to make it... ok, fine. BUT, the distance from Merrit to Kamloops is 85km (again 120km and mountains etc). There is no way, even leaving Kamloops with a full-charge on a wintery day that you could make it.

COMPOUND THIS... with how often you get half way down the coq and it's closed because of an accident or other major event... this would mean a) you sit there and let your batter run out while keeping you warm, b) you call a tow truck and tell them to meet you somewhere on the way back cause you aint gonna make it off the coq :)

I KNOW... I left with less charge then I needed. But how can you really know without tons of experience. I mean, my distance to sc said 203km... so that means technically even if someone left with an extra 50km as you suggest, they wouldn't make it... 100km extra? nope. Your stuck guessing. I think this shows how the "how much charge do I need app IN THE CAR" is needed, and b) how badly a SC in Merritt is needed.

Another piece of evidence is that another car, an 85kw (See above) drove from Kelowna to Hope and almost didn't make it... that's only 40km distance difference... so again. Having a SC in Merritt would help.

One last tidbit of interest. Turns out my air suspension wasn't auto-lowering, hence my even worse mileage that night. I wondered why it was so bad (taking every thing else into account) and voila... no lowering suspension on the hwy. Today's numbers FYI were when I manually lowered the suspension over the passes so they are more accurate.

WHY I POST THIS: I believe in community knowledge share and hope my travels and experiences over the passes help other current and future owners. This will get better with more SC infrastructure. But for now, we help each other with sharing what we see/experience. I'm not beating up on Tesla (not that I would need to defend myself if I were lol )
It is great that you shared this unfortunate experience, and would be a great reason to drive much like the person with the 60 kWh Model S is doing on his Eastern Trip and Western Return Trip across the USA, from Supercharger to Supercharger: Drive Slower at the beginning until you are sure you can make the next supercharger (Level Roads, Warmer Weather when I read his post about technique), then - as you get closer and is is assured with excess range , then begin to speed up, just so much as you arrive at the SC with a very low state of charge, but not Empty (now that's obvious), so that when you plug in you are getting the max charger rate into the battery, now nearly empty.

And the other thing learned by you (and us - with your sharing) is check the ride height (in case the car is riding higher that desired, or - in case you need the clearance for snow), Cold Mountainous roads are not calculated into the cars software with adjustments to expected Road Range in steeper hill climbs and descents forecasting. We also learned that safe* is better than Expensive ($200 Tow).

*Safe = Going Slow, or slower than Summer Speed limits, which is what 120 actually is, since it makes no sense to go that fast in the winter on mountainous snowy roads, anyway - plus - winter tires suck the range back on a Prius, so I am sure they do the same on a Model S.

Also - in another thread here - the most efficient way to charge while traveling - is a good reference, too.

Last edited:
Did a quick drive-by of the Red Deer SC site this evening. Lots of activity as you can see.
IMG_0631.JPG

Adding another Sun Country Highway west of Lytton, BC on Hwy 12?

Hi all, I grew up just 5 miles out of town (Lytton) on the Highway 12, along the Fraser towards Lillooet, and while I live in Ontario today, I am working on a nudge to my brother on the farm to get him to add some form of shared/private/public charger at our farm! I was thinking of what would be the best in terms of cost, as well as use - maybe a 40 Amp unit?

It has a great View, so I wonder - what the interest might be for such a location - just 5 miles from the nearest SCH CS60 in town? Google Map Mixed image shown:

Our-Farm_1-mixed-view_382x397.jpg

This view is about 1,000 Feet Higher than the main street in Lytton, and is a few hundred yards from the highest point on the highway for miles in both directions! the Farm is on Bench Land - Medium Desert Country, and the building shown was my Dad's Body Shop, and where I did some work on assembling an RV-3 Homebuilt kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Hounded my friends in Revelstoke to take some pictures, behold!

Just a bit of snow, I see! Would it be OK to add these to PlugShare's Listing for the Revelstoke Supercharger?

Last edited: