Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I am a bit too locally minded, but I would like to see a buildup of the Windsor-QC corridor before going to the Praires.

Others may fell differently but I have no interest in doing long range road trips, even in a car as great as a Tesla. I did that as a kid in the back of the station wagon and I am good with that for a couple more lifetimes.
This Post makes me smile - I just got back from a Week in Western Ohio, this Summer did a Month long Road Trip/Cruise Combo with mid road Trip for the Cruise (Time Wise: 1 Week Driving, a couple Cruise Weeks, back to Back from Canaveral, then another Road Trip Week) - and drove all the way to Key West and back to Toronto. At Christmas - we drove to Daytona Beach, and visited Kennedy Space Center a few times! A Few years back, we went to Oshkosh, WI, for EAA Air Venture, and then headed down to Presidio, in West Texas, before returning to T.O.!

Sure it was in a GAS/ICE (or lately - a Hybrid) Vehicle, not a EV, but our driving rate was not so much faster than a trip in an S85 would take, just that our stops might have been in different places!

Last edited:
This Post makes me smile - I just got back from a Week in Western Ohio, this Summer did a Month long Road Trip/Cruise Combo with mid road Trip for the Cruise (Time Wise: 1 Week Driving, a couple Cruise Weeks, back to Back from Canaveral, then another Road Trip Week) - and drove all the way to Key West and back to Toronto. At Christmas - we drove to Daytona Beach, and visited Kennedy Space Center a few times! A Few years back, we went to Oshkosh, WI, for EAA Air Venture, and then headed down to Presidio, in West Texas, before returning to T.O.!
You are likely retired or have a job where you can take off lots of time. I don't have the luxury of taking that amount of time off. And if it is more than 4 hours drive away I am very likely to fly rather than drive.

So now the question becomes, when do the Merritt, and Kelowna Superchargers start construction? The new Calgary and Vancouver ones will go in at the service centre, although Vancouver will need to move to it's new location first. As always, I'll bet the answer is soon!

The answer has never been "soon". In fact, we kept getting delayed and it's only been very recently that construction has ramped up. According to the old SC Maps, the entire corridor to Alberta was to have been completed in 2014. It's 2015 and two sites in that corridor are not completed.

The answer has never been "soon". In fact, we kept getting delayed and it's only been very recently that construction has ramped up. According to the old SC Maps, the entire corridor to Alberta was to have been completed in 2014. It's 2015 and two sites in that corridor are not completed.
Patience, patience. Tesla built 50 SC stations in December alone, it's not like they're sitting around. On top of that the 2 remaining Alberta corridor stations are almost complete so a 1 month overshoot on the '2014' estimate is acceptable. The Canmore site specifically is complete, they're apparently just waiting for the final power hookup from the town. I got this directly from the contractor who did the Red Deer SC, they also did the Canmore one.

Patience, patience. Tesla built 50 SC stations in December alone, it's not like they're sitting around. On top of that the 2 remaining Alberta corridor stations are almost complete so a 1 month overshoot on the '2014' estimate is acceptable. The Canmore site specifically is complete, they're apparently just waiting for the final power hookup from the town. I got this directly from the contractor who did the Red Deer SC, they also did the Canmore one.

I have lots of patience, except when it came to the delays getting BC Hydro to hook up the power to Hope's SC. I was simply pointing out that when you said "As always, I'll bet the answer is soon!" that "soon" has not always been the answer. Not meeting their own deadline is proof of that.

I have lots of patience, except when it came to the delays getting BC Hydro to hook up the power to Hope's SC. I was simply pointing out that when you said "As always, I'll bet the answer is soon!" that "soon" has not always been the answer. Not meeting their own deadline is proof of that.

Au contraire, "soon" is always the answer. It's just that Tesla's definition of the word doesn't match yours. (Or mine!)

The most egregious case in point:

x.jpg

(First announced in 2013, n'est-ce pas?)

Tesla uses "Elon Standard Time".

To be fair to Tesla, the CHAdeMO standard is a mess. Trying to get it to work on all charging stations is bound to be a nightmare. The vendors only ever bother making sure it works on a Leaf. So unless you can exactly emulate a Leaf with whatever quirks it might have, you're going to have a challenge on your hands. (J1772 is a much simpler standard and OEMs have trouble with that, too.)

I do want Tesla to get the CHAdeMO charger right, but also hope they can do so soon. In the past couple of months, six--six!--CHAdeMO chargers have popped up in Minneapolis. Not that I need them in my own town since I charge in my garage every night. But I'd love to have it before my cross-country trip this summer, and it would be nice to practice with it in town here first.

I was simply pointing out that when you said "As always, I'll bet the answer is soon!" that "soon" has not always been the answer.
I never said that, that was BrianJohnston. :) I'm also unsure of how you expect Tesla to control BC Hydro or Epcor/Enmax here in Alberta, some delays are out of their hands.

As for that CHAdeMO adapter, part of me wishes Tesla hadn't ever mentioned it. It will never work the way people expect, in the vast majority of cases it will never allow the full amount of juice to flow from the charger because as Doug_G points out the CHAdeMO standard is kinda dumb. It'll lead to a mountain of complaints from people who've spent a lot of money on an adapter that will appear to not work right. I'd rather have Tesla spend the time & money filling in the gaps in the Supercharger network.

I never said that, that was BrianJohnston. :)

Right. My apologies to you.

I'm also unsure of how you expect Tesla to control BC Hydro or Epcor/Enmax here in Alberta, some delays are out of their hands.

I never expected them to control anything outside of their control. But when a company places a date for completion of any project, it must take into account factors that are not in their control. Best to err on the side of caution, rather than raise expectations only to disappoint. Besides, some sites weren't even ready for hydro connection by the end of 2014.

No big deal though. They are on it now, even adding more sites, and that's great news.

I see southern Manitoba and the Winnipeg areas are slated for a SC in 2016. Fantastic!
Hopefully Brandon, Regina and Saskatoon areas will get them in time for the Model E rollout in 2017. Or by the way in which the Model X is delayed, 2018.
A couple near the Alberta /Saskatchewan border and Manitoba/Ontario border would be great too!

As a resident of "no man's land" (ie: Saskatchewan), I just wanted to say that I don't expect to see Supercharger coverage here for a good long while.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have them, but we just don't have the customer base for Tesla to justify the expense. Their current plans seem to be for us to connect to the US network and use it to do our traveling. Personally, I don't really see a problem with this, as anyone I want to visit are on the coasts anyway.

The only thing that could potentially push it along is if you people from the high owner density areas complain that you can't get where you want to go because of the big coverage gap in the center of the country.

All we'd need is a few of those 2-stall mobile units. (hint hint) Nothing fancy.

You are likely retired or have a job where you can take off lots of time. I don't have the luxury of taking that amount of time off. And if it is more than 4 hours drive away I am very likely to fly rather than drive.

Wayner - Not quite clear on - if you can't get a week off, or a period of 4 weeks straight? I used to Drive to & From Cleveland (officially a 5 hour Drive) regularly - not so much of a challenge, time wise!

If I had stayed on my first job - started 6 weeks out of High School, I would have 5 weeks Vacation, or maybe 6, but leaving that, going to school, and since moving to Ontario, I have been through a few employer changes, and have been required to rebuild my Vacation time all over again. The Latest trip - I had to request a leave of Absence (unpaid) to take advantage of some vacation offers that - if not taken, I would have simply Lost!

A Few years back - we rented a car (since mine was not in great shape for a big trip far from home) and drove to Oshkosh for Air Venture, and after a week - drove to West Texas, for a couple days to check out some Property, and then - we drove (Actually - I did all the Driving) back from Presidio, TX, to Toronto!

I have Driven from BC to Thunder Bay, ON, years ago - with my mom as co-driver, and back - via Duluth, and North Dakota, back to Winnipeg, and back to BC across Canada, and then - back to work in Prince Rupert - ion one week! From Vancouver to Tucson, Arizona, etc., but I have also flown some trips, too. Both Personally - as the Pilot, and as a Airline Passenger! It all depends on what the purpose of the trip is, and what points of interest along the way might be part of the plan!