Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I have friends in Castlegar and Rossland, so those planned stations along the Hope/Princeton/Osoyoos route really make that trip accessible. It's about 220 km from Osoyoos to Rossland, so could be a bit tight for winter driving on mountain roads. One added charger at Grand Forks would really do the trick.

So I got an email blast from BC Hydro today. This isn't Supercharger related, but interesting nontheless ...

Drivers of electric vehicles welcome changes to charging infrastructure in B.C.
I received this email today as well. A few things struck me...
  1. 35 cents seems a bit steep, considering my max rate at home is just under 12 (although there was a price increase today I understand). The price of convenience? Maybe the free Level 2 is intended to attract buyers to EV's and the DC chargers are intended to pay for them all? I don't see 35 cents as an incentive for the typical buyer. My comment isn't about me being cheap, but rather a desire to see a bigger carrot dangled in front of potential buyers.
  2. Level 2 remains free... Am I safe to assume that they don't limit the charge rate on these connections? That is, the single charger vs. dual charger car configuration will determine charge rate? I've heard stories about connections being current limited, but have no car yet with which to gain direct experience!
  3. Nothing was mentioned about home charging stations... perhaps not a surprise, but I was hoping for some sort of incentive to install at home. Anything out there that you're aware of? My electrician is coming next week to quote me on a 14-50 in my garage and also a rooftop of solar panels.

Level 2 remains free... Am I safe to assume that they don't limit the charge rate on these connections? That is, the single charger vs. dual charger car configuration will determine charge rate? I've heard stories about connections being current limited, but have no car yet with which to gain direct experience!

It depends on what you mean by "limited charge rate". :) Most Level 2 stations are 30A, which is below the capability of the Model S with one on-board charger (40A), and well below the capability of a Model S with two on-board chargers (80A).

As for home charging incentives: there used to be an up-to-$500 incentive for the purchase of an EVSE, if I recall correctly. The installation costs weren't covered. If they haven't mentioned it for residential this time around, then perhaps that isn't being repeated. Either way, I don't think they're going to help with your installation cost for a 14-50 outlet.

I think I saw you downtown on Government St, turning onto... Herald I think. I was a good block behind but was able to spot the AB plates. Circled back after dropping my wife at her volunteer duties and the empty car was parked, so at least I was able to wave at it if not the occupants. :)
Brown car with winter tires? That was me, I'd ducked into the Opus art store across the street from the parking lot. A shame we didn't get a chance to chat, none of the Edmonton Tesla-ians ever wave. ;) Just teasing the Edmontonians that're on here

It depends on what you mean by "limited charge rate". :) Most Level 2 stations are 30A, which is below the capability of the Model S with one on-board charger (40A), and well below the capability of a Model S with two on-board chargers (80A).

As for home charging incentives: there used to be an up-to-$500 incentive for the purchase of an EVSE, if I recall correctly. The installation costs weren't covered. If they haven't mentioned it for residential this time around, then perhaps that isn't being repeated. Either way, I don't think they're going to help with your installation cost for a 14-50 outlet.
The cevforbc.ca website is up. Don't think the home grant for EVSE is back. :(

I received this email today as well. A few things struck me...
  1. 35 cents seems a bit steep, considering my max rate at home is just under 12 (although there was a price increase today I understand). The price of convenience? Maybe the free Level 2 is intended to attract buyers to EV's and the DC chargers are intended to pay for them all? I don't see 35 cents as an incentive for the typical buyer. My comment isn't about me being cheap, but rather a desire to see a bigger carrot dangled in front of potential buyers.
  2. Level 2 remains free... Am I safe to assume that they don't limit the charge rate on these connections? That is, the single charger vs. dual charger car configuration will determine charge rate? I've heard stories about connections being current limited, but have no car yet with which to gain direct experience!
  3. Nothing was mentioned about home charging stations... perhaps not a surprise, but I was hoping for some sort of incentive to install at home. Anything out there that you're aware of? My electrician is coming next week to quote me on a 14-50 in my garage and also a rooftop of solar panels.

1. I agree, price seems high at 0.35, but that said, if I only use for trips "off the beaten path", it at least gets me there much faster than stopping at level 2 sites all the way. For Vancouver-Rossland, a stop at Hope SC for free, then a few paid stops will still be far cheaper than anything running on gas!

2. Level 2 is based on the charging equipment itself. Anything from 208-240 VAC qualifies as level 2, but the charge current can be anything from 20 to 80 amps. The choice of hardware determines the max charge rate.

3. Nope, doesn't look to be any incentive for installation. But do let me know some particulars about your solar installation! I'm very interested in adding 4-5 kW of solar, as I have a nice section of south-facing roof that sees the sun most of the day.

My understanding (perhaps incorrect, or only partially correct) is that the Level 2 technology supports up to 80 amps or thereabouts... but the handshake procedure will determine the correct rate and of course, ensure it's within the range supplied by the station. So I guess a typical Level 2 station is just a simple set of breakers configured to 30 amps and 240 volts... and the maximum supported by the technology isn't reached.

I'll have to see what the old incentive covered for home connections... just out of interest. Given the electrical situation in my garage, I don't think I'll go beyond a 14-50 outlet. If a second charger becomes necessary, I can ponder how to bump up the supply available in the garage.

My understanding (perhaps incorrect, or only partially correct) is that the Level 2 technology supports up to 80 amps or thereabouts... but the handshake procedure will determine the correct rate and of course, ensure it's within the range supplied by the station. So I guess a typical Level 2 station is just a simple set of breakers configured to 30 amps and 240 volts... and the maximum supported by the technology isn't reached.

If by "level 2 technology" you mean the standard J1772 connector: yes, it is rated for up to 80 Amps. What the EVSE supplies is a matter of the standard it is built to, and the circuit it is on. The maximum continuous draw is 80% of the circuit breaker rating. The original LEAF could only handle 16A, so the EVSEs built for it were built to be connected on a 20A circuit. 30A on a 40A breaker is just the most common nowadays. Your installation of a 14-50 will provide 40A, because it's on a 50A circuit breaker (remember, continuous is 80% of max). The "50" in 14-50 specifies the maximum current allowed by the receptacle & plug. A HPWC on a 100A circuit breaker can provide 80A.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charging at a Level 2 station, which uses 240 volts, will remain free. The suggested cost to charge at the DC Fast Charge stations has been set by BC Hydro at $0.35 per kilowatt hour, which is just enough to cover operating costs. The fast charge stations, though, are being managed by municipalities, most of which have opted not to charge a fee for use.

So it sounds like it's just a suggested price but probably most will be free anyway. I still think it's great and just emailed Tesla to be added to the wait list for the adapter.

I'll post more detailed stats in day or two, but I drove from downtown Vancouver to downtown Edmonton yesterday in 15 hours and 40 minutes, compared to 30 hours last year, pre-Supercharger.

April 2015: driving time - 11:54. Charging time - 3:46
April 2014: driving time - 14:30. Charging time - 15:30

I would add a couple of hours if I drove at a more reasonable speed. I was alone and drove safely, but quickly. Pretty much no conservation required, but I left Hope with 350km range and arrived in Kamloops with 29km remaining. Good thing I knew the last 20km were significantly downhill or I would have been nervous and had to slow down a bit. Road conditions were excellent. Only saw one other Tesla, a week old P85D at the Canmore Supercharger.

Last edited:
I'll post more detailed stats in day or two, but I drove from downtown Vancouver to downtown Edmonton yesterday in 15 hours and 40 minutes, compared to 30 hours last year, pre-Supercharger.

April 2015: driving time - 11:54. Charging time - 3:46
April 2014: driving time - 14:30. Charging time - 15:30

I would add a couple of hours if I drove at a more reasonable speed. I was alone and drove safely, but quickly. Pretty much no conservation required, but I left Hope with 350km range and arrived in Kamloops with 29km remaining. Good thing I knew the last 20km were significantly downhill or I would have been nervous and had to slow down a bit. Road conditions were excellent. Only saw one other Tesla, a week old P85D at the Canmore Supercharger.

I had a short chat with a Vancouver person headed to Banff yesterday evening just before 8 PM. He was at the Kamloops SC and told me he had made if from Hope with 109 km remaining. He just set the cruise and let the car figure out the economy. The car was an S85 built before the autopilot hardware. Judging by your driving time, you didn't spare the whip? ;-)

The distance between Hope and Kamloops is only a few km over 200 so the mountains must have really impacted range.

The distance between Hope and Kamloops is only a few km over 200 so the mountains must have really impacted range.

Mountains have less of an effect on range than you might expect, as long as you come back down what you went up. Windage (speed and headwinds) and road conditions have a much larger effect. The Coquihalla is now posted 120, which means 130, and significantly more energy than 80 to 100 kph. Going from 100 to 130 kph probably costs you 20%, or more, energy.

Mountains have less of an effect on range than you might expect, as long as you come back down what you went up. Windage (speed and headwinds) and road conditions have a much larger effect. The Coquihalla is now posted 120, which means 130, and significantly more energy than 80 to 100 kph. Going from 100 to 130 kph probably costs you 20%, or more, energy.
I had heard that raising the speed limit to 120 was with the understanding there would be zero tolerance over 120, I.e. 120 means 120. Not sure if that works in court but I was trying to stay at 120 (or so). I did notice that the speed limit warning system on the Tesla seems incapable of reading the 120 Kph speed limit signs. I guess it might be deferring to the Map data but I think it should give precedence to the signage. I wondered if the 2 that was used to cover the original 1 might not have the same refractive properties and the camera can't detect it.

I had heard that raising the speed limit to 120 was with the understanding there would be zero tolerance over 120, I.e. 120 means 120. Not sure if that works in court but I was trying to stay at 120 (or so).

There can't be zero tolerance since no police officer is going to ticket you for going 121 in a 120 zone. He or she would look foolish in front of a judge trying to enforce that ticket. All radar guns have a margin of error so that's a losing case and waste of time. However, I agree that the margin is probably not the 10 km/hr as it seems to be with a lower speed limit. It's probably more like 7. Anything below that and you likely fall within the margin of error which raises a reasonable doubt.

There can't be zero tolerance since no police officer is going to ticket you for going 121 in a 120 zone. He or she would look foolish in front of a judge trying to enforce that ticket. All radar guns have a margin of error so that's a losing case and waste of time. However, I agree that the margin is probably not the 10 km/hr as it seems to be with a lower speed limit. It's probably more like 7 or 8. Anything below that and you likely fall within the margin of error which raised a reasonable doubt.
That's kind of what I thought when I heard it. Tough talk but hard to enforce.

I think that at slower speeds you'll see a better return on the downhill than you will at higher speeds. The wind friction is the significant energy consumer at speed, so you'll burn plenty on the way up - proportionally - that you'll also burn on the way down. It's not that you don't regain elevation energy, but the potential energy gain/return is simply a smaller percentage of the overall energy being consumed so isn't as easily seen.

From the informal experiments I've done with the fuel efficiency computers in my cars, I've found that you'll typically lower your MPG by about 10% for every 10 km/hr above 80 or 90 km/hr. The Coq really chews fuel, whether it be gas, diesel or kilowatts!

Having travelled that highway more times than I care to remember, it's interesting that the speed limit increase hasn't really changed the 85th percentile speed as I perceive it. Now that the limit is higher, I've bumped my speed and find that significantly fewer people are passing me. So the limit change just legitimized the speed most people were driving anyway - they aren't necessarily travelling faster. In my opinion, that's exactly how the limits should be set. Building a highway with a design speed much higher than the posted limit is simply a means by which to collect speed tax! I have only seen speed enforcement once since the increase and I wasn't touched at 130... but that's what my speedo read - I was probably only doing 126 or so as it reads a little high (as most do). I don't think I'd push it too much more than that though, as you're getting close to the point where a mistake is very likely to kill you... or someone else... because the speed differential between the fast guys and the slow guys gets too large. It's logical that tolerance will be less!

I'll be a supporter of a lower limit in the winter - WAY too many people drive it in slippery conditions as if it was August outside! I worry more about what stupid thing the other guy is going to do in those conditions than I do in the summer...

The Coq really chews fuel, whether it be gas, diesel or kilowatts!

You're missing the part about regeneration. This was the most surprising thing about my car. Before I bought it, I asked here if I would make it on one charge from South Surrery to my lakehouse in Tulameen, 30 minutes north of Princeton, over two mountain passes, and not nearly as straight as the Coq. 300 km total. I was told to charge in Hope (before the Supercharger - but at the SC 70 amp). I did the first time, then did the calculatons, and determined I would have made it without charging. I have since done it a lot - back and forth - in rain, dry, different winds, etc. yet the variation in energy left both ways doesn't vary by much. I have made it home with over 120 km left. I make it there with about 60 km remaining -- that's the difference in elevation.

So, yes, the Coq chews fuel but not in the same way as gas or diesel since you don't get gas or diesel put back in your tank on the way down. Sure, you're not using much fuel on the way down, but that's the same with electric. However, at the same time, with electric you're putting it back in. I can drive on the highway without once touching the brakes (try that with gas or diesel!). However, if you were behind me, and didn't know about a Tesla, you'd think I was riding the brakes (that part bothers me about the car). You can see when your brake lights come on by putting your car on the screen and looking at the brake lights. They come on a lot when driving down a mountain (especially around corners) despite the fact that you never need to touch the brakes at all driving from Hope to Princeton. It's one foot driving only for me on the highway.

Wait until you get your car and you will see. You really can't compare fuel/energy use ICE vs. electric when it comes to mountain driving since regeneration plays such a large part when it comes to electric.

Driving to Calgary and back July 2013 'it took about 2 days to go Calgary.

Started from Burnaby in the morning late. First stop was Hope with lunch and next stop at Merritt'the cs90 charger was out of order.So we have to use CS40.enough to make to Chase'were both CS 90 and CS 60 were open. So our next stop was by midnight at Revelstike.Again CS 40 was not ocupide.Spend the night at Best Western and fully charged to Golden .After lunch took off to Canmore.We were looking for the charger ask the police officer,said I have seen one nearby but donot know where is.Took us to nearby city hall. Reception lady was also was not sure and call the eng. he came down and took us there .The police officer was also interest to know for future also went with us.After two hours charge we took off to Calgary.We have S60 Tesla.So now Can we make by one day with supercharger .Any news for Supercharger in Calgary or near by.:smile: