TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Western charging stations

Discussion in 'North America' started by Sunergy PV, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Sunergy PV

Sunergy PV New Member

• Informative x 1
  2. IdaX

IdaX Member

3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Guess what state is not among those seven western states? :(

4. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

I'm just overly excited that ID has thrown its hat in the ring on this. I figured you were mocking us.

• Like x 1
  5. IdaX

IdaX Member

whoops. Almost ;)

6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

No, certainly not mocking. Thinking about the types of states that these are, (politically red and pretty fossil fuel oriented for the most part), it's encouraging to see them giving some decent support toward electric vehicles. I was just pointing out the funny in someone hearing western states and the premature celebration of Oregon when it's not actually included. Boise to Bend has been a tough route for a while.

As to the other states, they have a lot of empty space off the main interstates, so I will be curious to see what routes they put the charging stations on. I hope they don't waste the money by doing that stupid thing of putting in useless 30A level 2 stations, cluelessly thinking it covers a route for "travel". They need to do DC fast charging stations.

• Like x 2
  7. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

I get where you're coming from @Rocky_H for sure. In fact, I recently channeled your comments RE the planned Superchargers that are slated across I-84 (think Ontario, Mountain Home, and Heyburn) that are great to see, but technically a bit redundant compared to the current difficulty we have getting to say eastern Oregon, northern Idaho, western Montana, western Nevada, or anywhere in California via the SC network from Boise. Hopefully this supplementary charging network will help augment things a bit to make those trips more doable. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla solved all of these in one big swoop in 2018/19 on their own. Regardless, it's great to see Idaho not always pulling up the rear.

8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, current case in point is that my wife is driving with some friends down to Las Vegas tomorrow. From a map perspective, it's really straightforward: I-84 east to Twin Falls, and then straight down U.S. Highway 93 for 500 miles--easy peasy, right? Except there is no charging except 40A all along highway 93. I tried mapping out what it would take to make this work with a Tesla, farther west or east to pick up at least one or two Superchargers, and there is no way that doesn't add at least 4 hours or so to the trip from slow charging or tons of extra distance. Hopefully this initiative can get something better on the US or state highways.

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Huh. Funny how things change in just a few months as charging infrastructure shows up little by little. Since I last checked the Boise to Las Vegas route a couple of months ago, a new 45kW Chargepoint CHAdeMO station has showed up in the tiny burg of Panaca, NV. So, if you detour a little bit from Twin Falls to West Wendover, charge up all the way there, then it looks like you can barely make it to Panaca, and from there, pretty easily to Las Vegas. However, a midway stop in Ely for a meal and 40A charging would add a little buffer to make it to Panaca.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1