Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Colorado I-70??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the Glenwood Springs & Grand Junction SuperChargers. They are surprisingly busy, only 6 V2 stalls, 120 KW max. And there not others close by. This doesn't really seem like enough for I-70 in Western Colorado. Are there plans to add more???

Doesn't look like it. But they've recently expanded Gallup and Beaver and now they're working on Holbrook. So maybe they will work there way over there soon.

I've never known either of these to be busy but I do tend to travel at random times. Were you using these ones on a weekend afternoon or what? And were they actually full with a line?

Charged at Glenwood Springs about 5:00pm on 7/21/21. One charger was broken and only one other not being used. Charged for about 10 minutes, enough to make the run to Idaho Springs SC; 3 cars waiting in line to charge when I left.

I-70 is currently closed in Glenwood Canyon, due to mudslides in the area of last year's fire. 100 cars were trapped overnight, as you may have seen on the news.

As always, for updates check cotrip.org

Northern alternate route: Rifle to Craig to Kremmling to Silverthorne.

Southern alternate route: Grand Junction to Montrose, over Monarch Pass, to Poncha Springs to Conifer to Denver. However, US 50 is mostly closed weekdays (limited open times) for rock scaling in Little Blue Creek Canyon (Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements).

Detour route: Grand Junction to Delta, CO-92 to Hotchkiss, back to US 50 at the dam (Blue Mesa Reservoir), over Monarch Pass, to Poncha Springs to Conifer to Denver.

Grand Junction to Poncha Springs via Hotchkiss: 202 miles. Montrose to Poncha Springs via Hotchkiss detour: 179 miles.

Fair warning.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
I-70 is currently closed in Glenwood Canyon, due to mudslides in the area of last year's fire. 100 cars were trapped overnight, as you may have seen on the news.

As always, for updates check cotrip.org

Northern alternate route: Rifle to Craig to Kremmling to Silverthorne.

Southern alternate route: Grand Junction to Montrose, over Monarch Pass, to Poncha Springs to Conifer to Denver. However, US 50 is mostly closed weekdays (limited open times) for rock scaling in Little Blue Creek Canyon (Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements).

Detour route: Grand Junction to Delta, CO-92 to Hotchkiss, back to US 50 at the dam (Blue Mesa Reservoir), over Monarch Pass, to Poncha Springs to Conifer to Denver.

Grand Junction to Poncha Springs via Hotchkiss: 202 miles. Montrose to Poncha Springs via Hotchkiss detour: 179 miles.

Fair warning.
Due to the I-70 closure, US 50 is now fully open temporarily. So, the southern alternate route is open as usual, at least until I-70 reopens

This is all speculation. They don't know. But it is hard to imagine that they can't get at least one lane open.
What they'll probably do first is clear the side with the least amount of debris. I have no idea which side that is but let's say it is eastbound. Then they will re-route westbound traffic on to the eastbound lanes and go one lane in each direction with reduced speed and cones going down the middle. Then they will get busy clearing off the debris from the westbound lanes. When that is done they can re-open as usual in both directions.

I-70 Glenwood Canyon **OPEN** between Exit 116 (Glenwood Springs) and Exit 133 (Dotsero).

• Motorists should plan for slower speeds and congestion through the canyon, especially at MP 123.5 where traffic is in the temporary one lane configuration.
  • Motorists are encouraged to plan their travel ahead of time and to keep their eyes on the roadway while driving past the mudslide area.
  • CDOT crews will continue to monitor for inclement weather and may close the highway again if conditions are deemed unsafe. If the forecast moves to a flash flood warning, crews will implement a safety closure of Glenwood Canyon from MP 116 (Glenwood Springs) to MP 133 (Dotsero). Traffic control points will then go into place at Exit 87 (West Rifle) in the event the closure is an extended closure and the northern alternate route is employed. Visitors or locals will still be able to travel east of Exit 87 if their destination is Glenwood Springs or the Roaring Fork Valley.