Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Road Trip in a Model 3

JimS

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Savannah, GA
@tbisaacs , @Carolina Karl , @Fred42 , @tm1v2 , @Willy’sEV , @Bouba , @noeltykay , @pnwadventures , & @pipp

Thank all of you for your very kind words. And a special thank you to @Willy’sEV for giving kudos to Linda. She has been an incredible travel agent our entire relationship. I also want to credit her now with several of the photographs in the thread. I especially like her sunrise picture at Monument Valley. Every one of my sunrise pictures had refractive glare from the direct sun, but hers was perfect.

Photographs can serve numerous purposes. One of them is helping us mentally re-live positive experiences, which these have done for us. Another is to motivate others to want to see and experience things for themselves. Based on some of your responses, we may have succeeded a bit in that respect.

JimS

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Savannah, GA
1639371649709.png

As you can see, I changed my mind and used one of the pictures of deer in Grand Canyon National Park on our Christmas Card this year. I thought I might as well use it to wish all of you who found this thread a very Happy Holiday as well!

• Love
Reactions: Bouba

MG535

3SR+ Red/black/19s (18s for winter)
Jul 22, 2021
NJ USA
PART 12 of 17

Our next stop was Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, but it is very isolated with no nearby SuperChargers. Since our stop after Monument Valley was going to be the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I wanted to be sure we could make it. All the apps had us routed to the Blanding, Utah SuperCharger, then to Monument Valley, and then to Page, Arizona for another charging session. Page was clearly a major detour, and we had already visited Page several years ago. (Otherwise it would have been a must stop: Lake Powell, Lower and/or Upper Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and the Colorado River.)

We spent some time at the Blanding SuperCharger to get nearly a full charge, then I set the cruise at 45 mph, way below the speed limit, to see if we could save enough energy to skip the Page SuperCharger. It was mostly a straight road with very little traffic so people could whiz right by us even though it was a two lane road. When we got to Monument Valley, (The View Hotel), I input the SuperCharger at Tusayan, Arizona as our destination, and the navigation said we could get there with 11% charge to spare! Success! Or so we thought. The View has a restaurant, a coffee shop and other amenities, but none of those were open because of the pandemic. The nearest restaurant was 6 miles back, we were famished, and those were 12 miles we really couldn’t spare. But since Page was still an option, we travelled the 6 miles to get something to eat. (We also turned off Sentry Mode!) When we returned to the hotel I checked again and it still says we could make it with 8% to spare. We’ll see.

Of course, we could not take Prudence for a private tour of Monument Valley, so we signed up for a tour with the Navajo. Wow, did we get a tour! We had a very entertaining guide who was an expert with our iPhone cameras:

View attachment 735168

Is that a Plaid T-shirt? I wonder what he wants for Christmas!

Hey! Wild Horses!

View attachment 735167

Here’s our guide playing a Native American Flute in a cave with great acoustics:

View attachment 735170

The cave also has an eagle:

View attachment 735171

A little trickery with the Pano feature of the iPhone camera:

View attachment 735172

The view from our room at sunset:

View attachment 735173

The view from our room at sunrise:

View attachment 735169

There was not a cloud in the sky the night we stayed here and the stars were amazing. For $10 more we could have had a 3rd floor room with a skylight view of the stars. That was our one regret. (And the part about the restaurant being closed, etc.)
That “eagle” is stunning!

Reactions: JimS

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC