TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Westinghouse DIY Solar Panels?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by ElSupreme, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#1 ElSupreme, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with these Westinghouse Panels?

Lowes Sells them!
    Westinghouse site.

This looks like a project I could do with my brother over a 3 day weekend for a lot less that an installer.

2. Zextraterrestrial

You can get stuff for cheaper than the Lowes/Costco/Hm depot package deals if you know a 'solar installer' from what I've been told by one.
    I was looking st the cheap Costco Grape solar kits and commenting on how the prices were getting pretty good ~ <$2.50 / watt with all of the components. Solar guy said he could get me better quality for probably ~$1.00 / watt :smile:
    I need to take him up on that to make sure it it real. He did just instal a 18kW system at my mother-in-law's in Los Altos and it was about $25K. Lots of different roofing levels with many racks in very awkward positions and a super sketchy tile roof that like to shed tiles if you're not careful!

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Holy crap that's cheap - and a massive farm.
    Is that before the 30% tax credit? (And anything CA gives you?)

/Ed

4. NuclearPowered

Combine with 7% Lowe's discount for ARPOLA members (Google it). $small to join.

And with a 10% off moving coupon up to $5000 which is good for $500. (EBay)

Plus the 30% off federal credit.

Puts you around $1.70/watt installed (DIY) plus fees for permits and inspections. Around here I needed a structural calc with PE stamp, building permit and electrical permit when my system was installed.

Pretty cheap to put in a 'gas station' for your S.