Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wet in compartment under boot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just arrived after a 9 hour drive from the UK to Germany, to find the Velcro carry bag for the universal mobile connector, which was kept in the compartment under the boot to be wet outside and inside. The cable is also wet. The compartment itself does not feel wet and neither does the boot itself. I definitely drove through moderate rain for a while. Any ideas what could cause this?

Have just double checked, and yes it is wet to the touch in the corners of this part of the boot (under the false floor)

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 229
I discovered a similar thing a few weeks after delivery and I think the water had been there a while! (Serves me right for not doing a full inspection on delivery I guess.)

Anyway, I pulled apart the trim and removed the carpet for the boot compartment. It's a single piece held in by a couple of trim clips and velcro fasteners so very easy to remove. On the bottom is what looks like a great big sponge that holds a lot of water - so much that I brought it inside and dried it out with a dehumidifier.

RemovedCarpet.jpg

Underneath the carpet is the metal body of the car which features four rubber bungs for sealing. A close inspection of these revealed road muck on the material underneath but I could find no evidence of water ingress through these.

BootBare.jpg

I have since put it all back together and, thankfully, it doesn't seem to have recurred but keeping an eye on it. If it does happen again, I'll report back + add to the service list.

Sorry to dig this thread back up. Wet compartment below the boot in my car and wanted to update with where I got to during/after an SC visit.

Backstory:
- Shortly after Dec '19 delivery (Edinburgh), I noticed the floor in the upper tier of the boot compartment was wet to the touch
- Upon removing the upper 'shelf', found the carpet in the lower tier completely saturated with visible standing water.
- When viewed from rear doors (i.e. boot not opened), water could be seen dripping from either side of upper internal plastic boot trim
- Reported to Edinburgh SC, appointment initially offered in Jan 2020 and brought forward to 20th Dec.
- Car interior completely dried out and water leak investigated. Investigation found no damage but leak could not be replicated. Interior carpet was scheduled for replacement awaiting receipt of spares in the UK.
- Received back as No Fault Found on 27th Dec; advised to monitor.

Fast forward:
- 3rd Jan, problem reoccurs during moderate rain. Boot was always checked fully latched between first handback and now, so root cause is not that trunk lid is left ajar, as per other discussion.
- Able to replicate problem using only garden hose (sprayer attachment) in driveway with boot latched closed; driveway is on a very slight uphill gradient.
- Plastic trim removed to investigate source of water - see here for gallery and videos from test. Appeared to drip only when sprayed higher up the roof, suggesting seal may be compromised somewhere up there and water running down.

Current situation:
- Reported to Tesla with new photo evidence on 8th January; now awaiting service appointment to demonstrate and resolve (currently scheduled for Feb '20)
- It's also clear they broke most of the clips off the trim piece when investigating previously - will be mentioning this when I take it in.

Water is definitely entering through the marked holes (trim removed):
zrdteo-l6qqBzGhM6MCsyU8HXJjhOoqnprXhIRAO1vHtJl2Lh0wOJOPmaIcslfBz7OS7WKdcLtX35gdokSKVCrGTvAjPA23ABGxqMOclNwztv4vbDPpLg0acbvPK_y-oCq9p81tmaCp82lE_LSdOsRJpBYPRHM2-wKU_QlwGCAegJhEJb8zh5-YmV5NOXAKxnYRcui7uO4xa0xfob6adL4FvCbWgQ-Vi2qpxZOSYTDnqYY41_qBry87Fi6uA3sgcOaCtYQXLGF3UxGD2REDq7eDXglVNt9eKcPLqF-8ZEAapjs44J3HbXCCdRlzJt9XPHbgJM4mQqUpUv2TPQ03y609ei7Yg8WEKeTL4YG2SViSKwc3M-Mh99VsVm1p_NUWd7DT76twnjIGduoQIvMcBRteCJ-K7buMlO1I8TFRz7XbCDnwVi3LerD30nibDl2wGlZSYJU9fCirqGU_t3jBrE_oSFxYR1xQRJb--bdHbDY_qHYE8kMnpFOAsHTbAOvmMvw9gdpnMpuYoAh_y_RPZkvESpnZr-7LNl1cClHt-2G6ReJGD03w6Uxlkjhugsqrom_jgwi84J3a-YSNIX-cdCqJRPl6m6himwxjM5nCUHmbVyszXKEAR83HVJ2h6GVF2_HNKNeee92fY7iozp5QnYI3ijDuv94HV68DSDQYem-f1yuAwmDdLJqT_XwdV_A7G3LpWmK0h3sJTYPQedvz2utKJWez2w-nOg906g185gEb93yA2=w271-h295-no

Will keep updated with how this progresses.

Are any others experiencing this particular issue? Note, it is not due to water running off the rear glass and into the boot, as boot was not open when water ingress was filmed.

Last edited:
Not the case here obviously but another possibility is what’s happening to me. The boot lid (liftgate?) is filling with water somehow, gradually leaks out of the lid into the boot and makes its way to the bottom where the of is.

Mine is with Tesla to be fixed at the moment. Was due to be done today but....

This thread is incredibly disconcerting for someone looking to order next month :-(
If it makes you feel any better I know 3 people with M3s (including me) and only one of them leaks :eek:)
There are unfortunately a number of leak issue but most of them are understood and have a fix
water in boot lid = poor sealing on lights
water in main boot compartment = leak via boot lid seal
water in boot "well" ( no pun intended) mainly seems to come from around the charge port but not always

So not ideal but in most cases an easy fix. sadly for majooka his sounds a bit trickier.
Water does seem like a particular weakness of the M3. In addition to the above the wipers are not ideally suited to uk weather and personally I am missing a chunk of underside "aero panel" courtesy of a big puddle.
Unfortunately it's a symptom of buying a car designed and built in a desert for people who live in a desert, then driving it in the UK (not a desert).
At this point Tesla ownership is still counts as early adoption and sadly brings with it some problems less prevalent in other makes.Its not great but it is what it is right now. If you can't live with that it might not be the right time for you to buy.

I noticed the below this morning when i was putting my work boots on to carry out a site visit that there was some water in my boot. I at first thought it was me putting my shoes in there, then i felt a drop of water on the back of my hand and then noticed that it was infact dropping from inside. I then took these photo below.

The water is coming in via the bolts that hold the boot hinges on (photo below) the bolts inside felt wet to the touch.

Water in boot:

Water present in boot.jpg

Bolts on rightside hinge:

Boot Lid Hinge - Right Side 1.jpg

Area where water dropped from:

Incoming water area.jpg

Hinge bolt inside which felt wet to the touch:

Boot lid hinge bolt.jpg

I noticed the below this morning when i was putting my work boots on to carry out a site visit that there was some water in my boot. I at first thought it was me putting my shoes in there, then i felt a drop of water on the back of my hand and then noticed that it was infact dropping from inside. I then took these photo below.

The water is coming in via the bolts that hold the boot hinges on (photo below) the bolts inside felt wet to the touch.

Water in boot:

View attachment 500438
Bolts on rightside hinge:

View attachment 500439
Area where water dropped from:

View attachment 500440
Hinge bolt inside which felt wet to the touch:

View attachment 500441
that's a new one. not seen that before.

This thread is incredibly disconcerting for someone looking to order next month :-(
As with most new cars, it's a bit pot luck. With my Model 3 I had a few minor paint defects at delivery, and recently noticed that the glove box light has never worked. All sorted / being sorted by Tesla.

With my Kona electric I had numerous paint defects (the car spent a week in the body shop) and many warranty defects that just kept on coming. In the 11 months I had the car it spent over a month at the dealer's workshop. I eventually rejected the car because of all the ongoing problems.