Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wet orange look replacement roof glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I had my roof glass replaced in my 2018 TM3 at the local Service Center and they didn't use the original orange wet look glass when they did it. I asked if they had an option for orange and there wasn't a single person at the shop who knew what I was talking about. Had to splash some water on the car to get them to understand.

Now that I have broken the glass myself pulling the roof rack off I am shopping for the original glass off another Tesla, but I am not sure which part numbers are the correct ones. I have seen part numbers 1086927-00-A, 1086927-98-D, 1086927-99-D, 1467252-00-A, 1487150-00-A, 1587892-00-A on eBay, but not sure which are orange and which are black.

This is the deal for those of you with newer cars:

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 7.39.55 AM.png

Both the rear glass and the roof glass are supposed to be that orange color

Reactions: ElectricIAC
A quick scan here and elsewhere suggests that Tesla stopped using the "orange" glass in in early 2019. I'm assuming you are buying a used piece of glass?

So you'd need to find somebody with a build somewhere in that time frame and ask what the part number is. Do you know where/if it is located on the glass?

Now that I have broken the glass myself pulling the roof rack off
Bummer! Not when installing it?

Note: Just in case, this could help someone installing a Model 3 roof rack and missing the templates:

I had forgotten how I installed it a year previous and my assumptions of how it was attached were not accurate, so I put force into trying to lift the rack off and that put downward force into the glass on the other side, crack!

F19F7B09-A46A-41DF-AC68-6D35461376B2.jpeg
56CE7CA1-6463-49D0-A2EF-BFB2751B5550.jpeg

Mine has the orange tint so I attached the label. Although the inside picture is inverted, it’s still easier to read.

My M3 is a 10/2018 build and the rear window doesn’t have the orange tint though. I guess they started to run out from that supplier around then.

The orange tint was all the rage back in 2017/2018... and as soon as Tesla started to mix things up (full orange tint center/rear vs no center and full rear or no center and half rear or center and no rear or even center and half rear)... fora filled with conspiracy threads, lemon law threads, declined delivieries etc.

The flawed working theory back then was that the orange tint indicated glass with superior UV/IR filtering and the removal of such was the start of 3s cost cutting journey to 2023 project highland.

Later it was proven that the UV/IR filtering on the non-orange tint center and rear glass panels a-new is just as good if not better, just used a different process which no longer supports the eye candy.

The 2021+ non-enthusiast and non-early adopter masses that buy these cars now will atest to the 'out of sight, out of mind' zero flying aerocovers level of care for this 'legacy 3' glass feature.

My rear glass didn't have the IR coating, but my top glass did.View attachment 870845
Is there a part number anywhere on the actual glass? I don't think so, but if you know, I'll look.
My early 2018 LR RWD M3 has this on the top glass (sunroof section). I want to tint it, but I'm scared the orange effect will "disappear." Do you know if tinting will affect the beautiful copper/crimson hues? I feel like the 5% ceramic tint I'm considering getting might affect the way light is transmitted through the glass, thus dulling the effect. I love this "rare" legacy M3 feature and don't want to "lose it." haha

My early 2018 LR RWD M3 has this on the top glass (sunroof section). I want to tint it, but I'm scared the orange effect will "disappear." Do you know if tinting will affect the beautiful copper/crimson hues? I feel like the 5% ceramic tint I'm considering getting might affect the way light is transmitted through the glass, thus dulling the effect. I love this "rare" legacy M3 feature and don't want to "lose it." haha

I have my entire glass roof and back glass tinted, and its still orange when wet (2018 model 3P).