TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

wh/km by speed?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by randvegeta, Dec 25, 2016.

1. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

Hello all,

I'm trying to find some clear information on how much power (typically) a Tesla Model S requires to travel at given speeds.

I realise that there are other factors that affect the power consumption, such as hills, outside temperature and climate control. Still, I'm looking for general information that could help me plan journeys better as I live in a country with few chargers. There are no SuperChargers in Lithuania, and there are only a handful of CHAdeMo chargers in just 2 cities located 320km apart!

There are a few other charging options but with a max charge rate of 7kw, they are not practical for long distance travel.

I would be very interested to know power consumption (in wh/km) for the given speeds:

50km/h
    80km/h
    90km/h
    100km/h
    110km/h
    120km/h
    130km/h
    140km/h

Any info would be helpful.

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

You'll have to convert to metric — sorry.

[​IMG]

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Bear in mind that graph is for no wind and no hills.

4. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

These numbers seem completely unrealistic based on what I'm getting. At best I would expect 190m at 55mph. But it is winter now... But do you really lose 40m of range just because of winter?

5. Mihai

Mihai Member

This what I get after about 1 month of use in winter and multiple measurements here in Nederlands which is as flat as a snooker table (no joke).
    These are all highway constant speeds measured over 10km distance (speed is in km/h).
    Looking forward to measure in the summer as well, range should be better then.
    My car is Model S 70D Nov 2016.

My biggest enemies are in this order, speed, load (nr of people int he car), heater, head wind.

Screenshot 2016-12-26 23.23.49.png

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It certainly can happen depending upon temperature, heater use, snow or water on the road, and whether you have adjusted your tire pressure to compensate for the colder weather. An S85 can go from 265 to 175 in severe winter conditions. This is documented in several winter threads.

7. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

What model do you have?

I've had my i3 two winters and it loses about 10% of range in a very mild northern California winter. This is the first winter for my MS, and I don't use the full range each day, but I've seen the Wh/mi increase in the last two months. Losing 15% in a much colder location seems entirely possible. There are a lot of Scandinavian and Canadian owners who can probably comment regarding their experience.

8. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

I have a 2014 Model S 60.

I've had it for about 5 days now.

I'm living in Lithuania, so it can get pretty cold here, but it's been very mild this year so far.

I also have winter tires on, which are very soft rubber, which I know is probably reducing my efficiency. I'm looking forward to discovering real range in Spring and Summer.