Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi consumption too high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go up and down mountains all the time. I'm amazed at the overall efficiency I get in my LR MY. My old gasser would get <10 mpg going up and down mountains, but I'm going way faster in the MY and it's more efficient to take the fun route back home (15 minutes boring freeway or 1 hr through mountains).

1st figure going up: 954 wh/mi average (over 5 last miles sea-level to ~2500ft)
2nd figure overall stats: 223 wh/mi average (over 43.4 miles)

MY_Efficiency_March_2021.jpg

I've had a Prius Prime for a few years and with a 25mi range it taught me how to drive efficiently as possible. The biggest killer to Wh/mi (or mi/kWh as the Prime measures it) are acceleration and top speed. A/C is a distant 3rd.

Anything over 65 and you really take a hit. likewise, accelerating quickly kills it too.

Additionally, I've found if I'm in traffic, I'm much better than the autopilot. AP is basically watching the car in front of you, I'm watching the traffic WAY in front of them. I'd rather drive a steady 30mph than rubberband between 20 and 40. so if I see traffic 20 cars up stopped then starting to move again, I'll do some mental calculations and adjust my speed so that I'm right behind the guy in front of me when hes accelerated up to speed again.

it's not fool proof and it invites people to cut in, but at least the people behind me can follow at a steady speed.

TL;DR Drive like you're in an 18-wheeler.

Reactions: AlexHung and jcanoe
I bought my M3P from Tesla ex-demonstrator at 1700miles and it had lifetime of 355 wh/mi (because who doesnt jump into a Performance and test the acceleration?)
It's now at 9000miles with a lifetime of 328
At 75-80 mph its usually about 330 wh/mi.

Never seen more than 200 miles from a theoretical "tank". 90%-10% gives me about 160 miles

I bought my M3P from Tesla ex-demonstrator at 1700miles and it had lifetime of 355 wh/mi (because who doesnt jump into a Performance and test the acceleration?)
It's now at 9000miles with a lifetime of 328
At 75-80 mph its usually about 330 wh/mi.

Never seen more than 200 miles from a theoretical "tank". 90%-10% gives me about 160 miles
What's the weather like where you're at? 330/355 wh/mi is realy high esp for a 3... either you're in really cold weather and have a big hit, or your driving style may need uhh.... some work. In normal conditions you gotta be driving a bit fast/heavy on pedal to get that high imo, no offense

What's the weather like where you're at? 330/355 wh/mi is realy high esp for a 3... either you're in really cold weather and have a big hit, or your driving style may need uhh.... some work. In normal conditions you gotta be driving a bit fast/heavy on pedal to get that high imo, no offense
No offence taken! I'm in the UK so it's not California temps but it's not Boston winters either

The 355 I can understand, as a Tesla demonstrator it must have been run ragged for 1700 miles but it's very rarely below 300 wh/mi charge to charge.
The 330 is on a motorway cruise at 75-80 with TACC. Around town I cant resist an occasional traffic light grand prix but beyond that I just tootle around

The "typical" line at 240 is just a joke

No offence taken! I'm in the UK so it's not California temps but it's not Boston winters either

The 355 I can understand, as a Tesla demonstrator it must have been run ragged for 1700 miles but it's very rarely below 300 wh/mi charge to charge.
The 330 is on a motorway cruise at 75-80 with TACC. Around town I cant resist an occasional traffic light grand prix but beyond that I just tootle around

The "typical" line at 240 is just a joke
Just curious; does your Performance Model 3 have the heat pump?

Bjørn Nyland made a video where he compared the energy consumption of his personal Model 3 without the heat pump to a new Model 3 with the heat pump. Bjørn concluded that the energy consumption of the non-heat pump Model 3 was 3X more than with the heat pump. Assuming a 1500W difference, at 100 km/hr this would be 15Wh/mi higher for the Model 3 without the heat pump. In colder weather you can assume that 15 Wh/km (~9.4Wh/mi) of your energy consumption is attributable to not having the heat pump.

Reactions: candida
Bjørn Nyland made a video where he compared the energy consumption of his personal Model 3 without the heat pump to a new Model 3 with the heat pump. Bjørn concluded that the energy consumption of the non-heat pump Model 3 was 3X more than with the heat pump. Assuming a 1500W difference, at 100 km/hr this would be 15Wh/mi higher for the Model 3 without the heat pump. In colder weather you can assume that 15 Wh/km (~9.4Wh/mi) of your energy consumption is attributable to not having the heat pump.

Thanks for sharing. I find the efficiency improvement with the heat pump a little disappointing based on this video. The way the heat pump was hyped up I expected it would make a more significant difference in the 20-30 Wh/mi range. Oh well, it is what it is.

I drove ~200mi yesterday trying to push my safety score to 100 for FSDbeta. I charged to 92%, set my AP to 75 mph, and drove non-stop for ~3 hours on the Bay Area freeways (101, 280, 380, 87). My speed varied between ~40 during short slow-downs and 90+ when passing. Here are my stats:

- 251 Wh/mi
- SoC: 92% to 21%, 51 kWh used
- Ambient temp was in the 60s

200mile_range.jpg

Bjorn drove a MY for ~6000km and got ~225 Wh/km even after hammering at VMax on the German Autobahns (220kmh/135mph).

I go up and down mountains all the time. I'm amazed at the overall efficiency I get in my LR MY. My old gasser would get <10 mpg going up and down mountains, but I'm going way faster in the MY and it's more efficient to take the fun route back home (15 minutes boring freeway or 1 hr through mountains).

1st figure going up: 954 wh/mi average (over 5 last miles sea-level to ~2500ft)
2nd figure overall stats: 223 wh/mi average (over 43.4 miles)

View attachment 709220
That’s pretty cool!!
I plan on doing pikes peak just to see the difference.