Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WH/MI Energy App vs Trip Meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried an experiment yesterday... I compared the trip meter "card" at 5 miles, 15 miles, and 30 miles to the energy app at those same mileage instances and found that there was anywhere from a 5 - 12 wh/mi discrepancy between the two, with the energy app consistently less than the trip meter. Begs the question... why would they be different? Aren't they getting the data from the same source? Anyone have any insight?

I keep the charge display on percent and use the Energy App to estimate range remaining under real time conditions. Bothers me that the Wh/mi reading is not matching the consumption that the trip meter is reporting. They should match exactly and I don't understand why they don't. Is the Energy App underestimating consumption or is the trip meter consumption off?

I would say that the miles metered is simply much too few to get an accurate comparison. Do it over a MUCH larger number of miles. Example, if you flip a coin twice and both times it comes up heads, then you might be asking what does a flipped coin always come up heads :)

Even then, you will still see variances for a lot of reasons. They should NOT match exactly.
Let me give you a hint that you actually mention in your question.
One is an ESTIMATE, and the other is ACTUAL results of the trip based on many variables.

Agreed. I think trip meter accuracy gets closer to the actual from the Wh/mi energy app as you go from 5mi ==> 15mi ==> 30mi. The trip meter is interesting, but I mainly rely on the energy app.

The trip meter inaccuracy is probably related to sampling. Look at the graphs even for the 5mi and you'll miss a lot of detail. If you floor if for 5 seconds (0-60) will it show up in the graph? I've looked and the graphs don't seem to match how I've been driving. Now if the 5mi doesn't have the detail then neither will the 15mi and 30mi graphs.

I would say that the miles metered is simply much too few to get an accurate comparison. Do it over a MUCH larger number of miles. Example, if you flip a coin twice and both times it comes up heads, then you might be asking what does a flipped coin always come up heads :)

Even then, you will still see variances for a lot of reasons. They should NOT match exactly.
Let me give you a hint that you actually mention in your question.
One is an ESTIMATE, and the other is ACTUAL results of the trip based on many variables.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert