TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wh/mi on Saddle road, Big Island, Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by avinash200, Jan 1, 2020.

1. avinash200

avinash200 New Member

My wife has to commute from Waimea to Hilo everyday and back. That amounts to 67 miles one way on the Daniel K Inouye Highway (she prefers this road compared to the coastal belt road). I was wondering whether anyone has recorded the Wh/mi on their Model 3 or any other EV on that route. I presume that it would be far from conventional calculations as the route has a total upslope of 4500ft and downslope of 7000ft along the route. The EV range calculator on eCalc - the most reliable electric Motor Calculator on the Web for RC Pilots (even after keying in the correct upslope and downslope readings) looked too good to be true.

2. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

@avinash200, I can't speak for the Big Island's saddle road specifically, but here on Maui I got about 169 wh/mi going up and down Haleakala. See my post: 94 Miles on Gravity! I would expect it to be not quite as good, simply because you can travel at a higher speed on the saddle road than Haleakala, but I still think you can do better than average.

3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Try abettereouteplanner and see what it says. I’ve heard it takes elevation into account.

4. Willy3988

Willy3988 Member

Don’t remember the consumption rate but I have made the trip a couple of times from the Kings shops to Hilo and back with no problems with energy to spare. Your trip from Waimea would be less energy. I have a SR+ With Aero wheels

• Like x 1
  5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

L

I'll guess that back and forth will need about 150 of range.
    When the 7000 is downhill, overall is going to be awesome. The other way isn't going to great. Together not a big deal

6. rickhuizinga

rickhuizinga Member

I've made a couple of round trips from Waikoloa Village on a Standard Range Model 3. From Waikoloa Village to the top of Saddle Road used 40% of the battery, however the complete trip from Waikoloa Village to Hilo used 33% due to regen going downhill. I would expect that you would use less power from Waimea because you're starting at a higher elevation.

P.S.: The trip planner in the navigation system was fairly accurate on the net energy for this trip.

• Like x 2