Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi on Saddle road, Big Island, Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has to commute from Waimea to Hilo everyday and back. That amounts to 67 miles one way on the Daniel K Inouye Highway (she prefers this road compared to the coastal belt road). I was wondering whether anyone has recorded the Wh/mi on their Model 3 or any other EV on that route. I presume that it would be far from conventional calculations as the route has a total upslope of 4500ft and downslope of 7000ft along the route. The EV range calculator on eCalc - the most reliable electric Motor Calculator on the Web for RC Pilots (even after keying in the correct upslope and downslope readings) looked too good to be true.

I've made a couple of round trips from Waikoloa Village on a Standard Range Model 3. From Waikoloa Village to the top of Saddle Road used 40% of the battery, however the complete trip from Waikoloa Village to Hilo used 33% due to regen going downhill. I would expect that you would use less power from Waimea because you're starting at a higher elevation.

P.S.: The trip planner in the navigation system was fairly accurate on the net energy for this trip.