Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi Range MY 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
A great forum and my 1st post!!

New Tesla model Y (2022) owner. Just wanted to ask what Wh/mi others are getting.

On a recent motorway trip on M6 (110 miles) I got 313 Wh/mi. Used about 50% battery. Went from 80% to 30%.
Is this expected, was was driving at 70mph and at times 50mph due to restrictions.

Thanks all

Hi
A great forum and my 1st post!!

New Tesla model Y (2022) owner. Just wanted to ask what Wh/mi others are getting.

On a recent motorway trip on M6 (110 miles) I got 313 Wh/mi. Used about 50% battery. Went from 80% to 30%.
Is this expected, was was driving at 70mph and at times 50mph due to restrictions.

Thanks all

Welcome aboard.

Model Y efficiency is strongly influenced by: Speed, Temperature, elevation change, driving style, and things like rain/wind/snow/etc,

On level ground, 60 MPH, and 70 degrees temp, you should get around 250 wh/mi give or take tire size or roof rack.

If you go faster, it'll eat more power. 70 MPH is gonna run maybe 275 wh/mi. 80 MPH is like 325 wh/mi - air resistance is not linear.

Add in another 25-50 wh/mi for very cold, or very hot weather.

Highway mileage is the easiest to understand, but also the least efficient thing a Tesla does since there's relatively little regen. You can easily get 200 wh/mi (thus more than EPA range) around town at low speeds gliding between stop signs which the Tesla excels at.

Driving style matters - the most efficient is one-pedal where you rarely if ever use the brakes (which just dump momentum out as heat). Don't sweat it. Your experience is likely due to cold weather. If you plug in at home, you can help it by pre-warming the car a few minutes prior to departure from the Tesla app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
313 Wh/mi is not out of line for winter driving, especially highway driving.

Things to do:

Precondition the Tesla Model Y via the Tesla app climate control settings, with the Tesla Model Y plugged in if possible, until the Tesla app indicates your desired cabin temperature has been reached then precondition for a few minutes longer.

Drive at the speed limit, not more than 70 MPH (driving at 65 MPH would use approximately 9% less energy.)

Use the seat heaters more and the climate control less. Don't turn off the climate control as the windows will likely immediately begin to fog. Just set to Auto, fan Medium or High. The Low/Med/Hi fan setting functions as a fan speed limiter when the Climate Control is set to Auto. Set comfortable temperature (similar to your home.)

If using the Tesla Supercharger network enter the Supercharger location in the Navigation system and the Tesla Model Y will begin Preconditioning for Supercharging about 30 or more minutes away from the Supercharger. This will dramatically speed up Supercharging especially in colder weather.

Keep up tire pressure, follow the tire pressure recommended on the B pillar label (pressure will drop as the temperature lowers, always check tire pressure when the vehicle has been parked for at least 3 hours.)

Keep vehicle clean (at least carefully clean off the windshield camera area, side repeater cameras in the front fenders, Bpillar cameras and rear backup camera.)

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowr6
Upvote 0
I just looked at my 6 months average, 6132 miles driven, 2326 kWh total charged, for an average of 379Wh/mile! 2022 MYP, mixed highway/local, average driving style, all home charging, summer/fall/winter temperature in 6 months. 379 Wh/mile is much higher than my expectation. Something no right with the car?

I'll try to slow down on highway from now on to see if that makes any significant difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just looked at my 6 months average, 6132 miles driven, 2326 kWh total charged, for an average of 379Wh/mile! 2022 MYP, mixed highway/local, average driving style, all home charging, summer/fall/winter temperature in 6 months. 379 Wh/mile is much higher than my expectation. Something no right with the car?

I'll try to slow down on highway from now on to see if that makes any significant difference.
The total kWh charging includes charging overhead, preconditioning and dog mode/camp mode energy usage. You can improve your driving efficiency by driving 5 miles per hour slower by ~9%. The 21" wheels are less efficient (due mostly to the weight of the wheel and tire combination) than are the 19" and 20" wheels and tires (wheel efficiency is dependent on highway speed.) Compared with someone who averages 270Wh/mi, over 6132 miles you used an additional 665 kWh (estimated cost using $0.15 per kWh) is ~$100. For $100 to $200 more per year (less than $17 per month) you can drive at your current preferred highway speed and not look back.

Last edited:
Reactions: teca01 and yellowr6
Upvote 0

If you're making it from Supercharger to supercharger or making it home from the days commute/activities with some battery to spare. No need to alter your driving style. If it's using a little more energy your probably just enjoying the acceleration. :)

Reactions: teca01 and yellowr6
Upvote 0
Welcome aboard.

Model Y efficiency is strongly influenced by: Speed, Temperature, elevation change, driving style, and things like rain/wind/snow/etc,

On level ground, 60 MPH, and 70 degrees temp, you should get around 250 wh/mi give or take tire size or roof rack.

If you go faster, it'll eat more power. 70 MPH is gonna run maybe 275 wh/mi. 80 MPH is like 325 wh/mi - air resistance is not linear.

Add in another 25-50 wh/mi for very cold, or very hot weather.

Highway mileage is the easiest to understand, but also the least efficient thing a Tesla does since there's relatively little regen. You can easily get 200 wh/mi (thus more than EPA range) around town at low speeds gliding between stop signs which the Tesla excels at.

Driving style matters - the most efficient is one-pedal where you rarely if ever use the brakes (which just dump momentum out as heat). Don't sweat it. Your experience is likely due to cold weather. If you plug in at home, you can help it by pre-warming the car a few minutes prior to departure from the Tesla app.
This mirrors my experience.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0

Ditto to what Jcanoe said. I have worked the wh/mi down to 294 on my MYP but I have a variety of 45-75 mph driving 50 miles each way to work each day (100 miles per day). I was trying to limit speed and do everything I could to conserve for a while, but now I have 26,000 miles on it and prefer to just enjoy every time I drive it.

Upvote 0
Thank you - see now. It looks like you can get it by month. Do you keep track of your milage at the start of each month?

Also, where do I find the Battery Degradation Report?
I don't track my mileage as it is consistently averages ~12 miles per day.

The latest Tesla Model Y vehicle and software enables you to run a Tesla Battery Health Test.

A battery degradation report may also be provided by one of the third-party apps such as Teslafi, Stats for Tesla,

Reactions: Prodock
Upvote 0
I'm observing a consistent 260-280 wh/mi at the conclusion of long road trips. Our start/end point is Orange County, California.
  • A trip to New Mexico during colder December temps (~35F) returned 280 Wh/mi after 3,000 miles
  • A trip to Colorado during summer (110F in Arizona), which included passing over the Rockies, returned 262 Wh/mi after 3,203 miles
This is for a 2022 MYP on the 19" gemini wheels with aero covers, and 2 people + luggage. Unless there is an extremely long stretch between chargers (ahem...Flagstaff NACS to Bluff CCS, with a detour through Monument Valley's 17 mile loop), I'm driving like I normally would, which means fast and cabin temp at 70 degrees.

I've been very pleased with the consumption and resulting range. For comparison, our 2017 Model X 90D averages around 360-370 Wh/mi for long road trips.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0