TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wh/mi while drafting?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Krebnarb, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Krebnarb

Krebnarb Member

Week 2 w/ the new 90D. This weekend driving back from Maine to Boston, I decided to try drafting behind a semi on AP, with distance set to 4 on the highway going ~65 mph. Was able to hit 221 Wh/mi averaged over 30 miles. Then the semi turned off an exit, and I monitored Wh/h, trying to maintain the same speed an it crept up to ~265-270 Wh/mi. I knew that drafting definitely increases efficiency, but was cool to see it working first-hand. Curious what experiences others may have had trying this

20160716_215054.jpg

2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Honestly I thought you had to be closer than that to have any effect so it is interesting to see your numbers.

3. Logan5

Logan5 Member

A slipstreaming or platooning mode would be a cool upgrade to AP. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the AP technology to be extended in such a way that a group of Tesla's going to similar destinations on the highway could line up with distances between them automatically adjusted according to speed in order to take full advantage of aerodynamics to save energy. It also wouldn't be a stretch to imagine AP adjusting the cars distance to improve energy use based upon the size a truck it was targeted to slipstream behind.

• Like x 3
  4. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

I worry about rocks :eek:

• Like x 1
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I drafted this winter heading west on I 70 into strong headwinds, 20f temps and a few hundred mile upgrade I guess it decreased my energy usage by more than 25%. 3-4 lengths back is close enough to see significant gains.

• Like x 1
  6. James Anders

James Anders Member

That was my thought too. Beside the safety issue with getting closer - I would be worried about stone chips and rocks cracking windshield. For what? To save a few kWs?

7. Krebnarb

Krebnarb Member

I also had a concern about rocks, which is why I tried to stay at least 4 car lengths behind. I was pleasantly surprised at the result, as I also thought you needed to be much closer! I'll try it at 5 or 6 next time and see what impact that has. Man I love this car!

8. ZeroDarkSilver

ZeroDarkSilver HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome

1348226533927-1qz7hnsya9o3s-960-540.jpg

• Funny x 1
  9. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

This. You do this frequently, you should expect a much higher rate of rock chip damage to your car.