Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi while drafting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Week 2 w/ the new 90D. This weekend driving back from Maine to Boston, I decided to try drafting behind a semi on AP, with distance set to 4 on the highway going ~65 mph. Was able to hit 221 Wh/mi averaged over 30 miles. Then the semi turned off an exit, and I monitored Wh/h, trying to maintain the same speed an it crept up to ~265-270 Wh/mi. I knew that drafting definitely increases efficiency, but was cool to see it working first-hand. Curious what experiences others may have had trying this

20160716_215054.jpg

A slipstreaming or platooning mode would be a cool upgrade to AP. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the AP technology to be extended in such a way that a group of Tesla's going to similar destinations on the highway could line up with distances between them automatically adjusted according to speed in order to take full advantage of aerodynamics to save energy. It also wouldn't be a stretch to imagine AP adjusting the cars distance to improve energy use based upon the size a truck it was targeted to slipstream behind.

I also had a concern about rocks, which is why I tried to stay at least 4 car lengths behind. I was pleasantly surprised at the result, as I also thought you needed to be much closer! I'll try it at 5 or 6 next time and see what impact that has. Man I love this car!

A slipstreaming or platooning mode would be a cool upgrade to AP. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the AP technology to be extended in such a way that a group of Tesla's going to similar destinations on the highway could line up with distances between them automatically adjusted according to speed in order to take full advantage of aerodynamics to save energy. It also wouldn't be a stretch to imagine AP adjusting the cars distance to improve energy use based upon the size a truck it was targeted to slipstream behind.

1348226533927-1qz7hnsya9o3s-960-540.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Krebnarb