Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WH/mile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of it is because of the difference in models, but likely also some difference in driving style and potentially use pattern if I were to guess. Your 350Wh/mi for a MS 75D seems high to me. Do you have 21" wheels and/or tend to do a lot of high speed interstate driving while your wife Model 3 maybe more local driving or drives more moderately on highway??

I have a mid-2016 MS90D, 19" wheels, and my lifetime average is just under 280 Wh/mi. I've had P90D or MS P100D as service loaners and those tended to be in the low 300s for the same driving style where my MS90D would be in the 275-280 range.

Upvote 0
I have a 2022 3 and S. Both are LR's with the smallest aero wheels for each model (18" & 19"). My lifetime for my 3 is 255 Wh/mil. For the S it is 275 Wh/mi. This is with very similar usage patterns for both cars.

The 3 is vastly more efficient in town as it has a lot less weight to accelerate than the S. However I tend to drive it more aggressively in the city as it is so much easier to flick around and the yoke on the S is a buzzkill in town for me.

Upvote 0
Part of it is because of the difference in models, but likely also some difference in driving style and potentially use pattern if I were to guess. Your 350Wh/mi for a MS 75D seems high to me. Do you have 21" wheels and/or tend to do a lot of high speed interstate driving while your wife Model 3 maybe more local driving or drives more moderately on highway??

I have a mid-2016 MS90D, 19" wheels, and my lifetime average is just under 280 Wh/mi. I've had P90D or MS P100D as service loaners and those tended to be in the low 300s for the same driving style where my MS90D would be in the 275-280 range.
I have 19” wheels and actually I drive more in town and my wife drives more on the highway.

Upvote 0
But your wife's frugal wh/mi is pretty damn impressive, she must drive sooo slow?

It's not necessarily driving slow, but more driving smoothly with gradual getting both on and off the throttle.

The other factor that can easily drive a high Wh/mi number in the vehicle is climate the car is parked and usage when you start driving, especially if doing short drives. If car sits outside in cold climates during the day, you do short drives, then your using a lot of energy to constantly trying to warm up the pack and potentially HVAC to warm up the car interior. Similarly in the summer if car sits in the sun and the HVAC always working to cool the car when you start driving. That's where two different cars in the same location could show quite a different Wh/mi numbers based upon these factors. If one car is getting heated/cooled while plugged in before being driven, while another is not, then you'll see quite a difference in the Wh/mi numbers driving the same trip.

Upvote 0
My 2018 100D is at 299 and my memory of '14 P85 was around 305. Being in colder climate will cause you to have higher average Wh/mile, but that is not going to explain your current high numbers. I also take the dogs on many trips so we use Dog Mode alot which raises my Wh/mile.

I find that using Autopilot or FSD definitely improves average.

Upvote 0