Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WH/mile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this calculation (select the last equation) that 217Wh/km is just under 350Wh/m. To trust this web page then mine is just under 274Wh/m which is 170Wh/km. Mine is 2016 Model S, 70D
Yup, my formula is correct but my result was wrong. In Wh/m it is as you say. 217 Wh/km is just under 350 Wh/m.
Screenshot_20220623-164519_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen 350 wh/mi on my 2017 P100D in the 22,000 miles I've had it for. I usually get a bit less on road trips... something like 315, so likely lots of inefficient stop / starts around town. I had the 21" staggered set until recently though, so hoping for a material reduction there.

Upvote 0
According to this calculation (select the last equation) that 217Wh/km is just under 350Wh/m. To trust this web page then mine is just under 274Wh/m which is 170Wh/km. Mine is 2016 Model S, 70D
Your calculation is correct my average is not that great but in line with my driving habits and typical rides (short trips without paying much attention to consumption, AC on). I do better on long drives maybe 190/195 Wh/km. 170 is pretty good, congrats.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
I've been on a road trip with my 2014 S60/90.... It has a brand new battery that was installed about 5 weeks ago now but the computer still thinks (branding) that it is a 60 even though I have full access to the range. Fully charged is 295 miles. My first leg of this trip was 217 miles, and I was at 10% at the end.... BUT it was all highway high speed and 95 degrees out. Average was (IIRC) 320wh/mi.

The rest of this trip has been between 290 (in the bottom end of South Carolina where people can't figure out passing a truck and just pace FOREVER at 65mph) to 310 or so as the temperatures have moderated slightly further North. I've also had a kitty with me so using the PET mode every time I stop and camp mode overnight while not plugged in. If those two non-driving uses affect the watts per MILE math, that's a silly thing. I'd stay plugged in overnight if there wasn't the risk of idle fees (which are not well documented as I've seen so far) so I just top up in the morning from the free supercharger and set off. Haven't been fully charging it since leaving home though, there's no real need to charge above 80.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies, I guess that my car uses a high Wh/m especially the way I drive. What’s surprising is that even though my Wh/m is high I still get close to the miles shown every day. The Tesla’s that I have owned on average will get at least 30 less miles than shown to start the day especially in the cold weather. So depending on how I’m driving if I start the day with 200 miles that will mean more like 150-170 actual miles.

Upvote 0
My 2018 model S 75D has been averaging 350 Wh/mile, while my wife’s 2018 model 3 averages 175Wh/mile. Is this big difference normal because of the different models?
Mine on these recent continental DWS06 after 2k miles on them. Approx 310Wh/mile.

Previously the Michelin Primacy MX after 40k+ miles. Approx 300 Wh/mile. However when new for the first few thousand miles, it was over 320 Wh/miles.

Upvote 0
This is very confusing for me. I have a 2022 3 LR that is averaging 249 Wh/mi (154 Wh/km). Compared to all y'all I'm doing great (even limiting to other model 3s and Ys)! Thing is, the spec that Tesla claims in advertising, and EPA estimate, is 220 Wh/mi; a model 3 LR should get about 350 miles on a full charge. There are a lot of people on various forums saying they get that number, or close to it, some even better.
How does your average Wh/mi compare to the advertised spec when you bought it?
I live in southern Texas, so there is no cold weather drag on the efficiency. Anyway, I've been seeing the worst numbers over the past 2 months (June & July). I've Internet-researched the hell out of this, and found no factual information to support a claim that hot weather can decrease efficiency - only that hot weather will increase degradation of a battery over it's lifetime (in other words, decrease it's longevity). A Tesla support team manager told me it's the HVAC system keeping the cabin and battery pack cool. But I have found no statements from electrical engineers in forums or actual test data to support that claim. In fact, I did read engineers claiming the HVAC system is much more efficient in electric vehicles. I also found a statement from a Tesla spokesperson from 2019 who said the HVAC would decrease efficiency by 1% at worst.
I bought this car because it's supposed to be capable of getting 350 miles on a charge. I get that the EPA test conditions are not very realistic for most drivers, but for about 5 weeks now I stay under 60 mostly, always under 65. I am rarely in stop-n-go traffic, about 40% of drive is in town (traffic lights), and again - southern Texas - so no topography. Yet, I cannot get an average Wh/mi for just one charge cycle below 260.
So, what's the deal? Is something wrong with my car? Tesla support says my battery is healthy. Maybe it's not the battery? Could it be something else? Advice? Educate me, please?

Upvote 0
Well, I get (Model S LR 2020) around 265Wh/m.
The car was advertised at a range of 445m but that of course is purely a comparison figure under standard test conditions and I'm actually getting 366 miles range.
All irrelevant - everything depends on conditions and of course the weight of your right foot!

Upvote 0
This is very confusing for me. I have a 2022 3 LR that is averaging 249 Wh/mi (154 Wh/km). Compared to all y'all I'm doing great (even limiting to other model 3s and Ys)! Thing is, the spec that Tesla claims in advertising, and EPA estimate, is 220 Wh/mi; a model 3 LR should get about 350 miles on a full charge. There are a lot of people on various forums saying they get that number, or close to it, some even better.
How does your average Wh/mi compare to the advertised spec when you bought it?
I live in southern Texas, so there is no cold weather drag on the efficiency. Anyway, I've been seeing the worst numbers over the past 2 months (June & July). I've Internet-researched the hell out of this, and found no factual information to support a claim that hot weather can decrease efficiency - only that hot weather will increase degradation of a battery over it's lifetime (in other words, decrease it's longevity). A Tesla support team manager told me it's the HVAC system keeping the cabin and battery pack cool. But I have found no statements from electrical engineers in forums or actual test data to support that claim. In fact, I did read engineers claiming the HVAC system is much more efficient in electric vehicles. I also found a statement from a Tesla spokesperson from 2019 who said the HVAC would decrease efficiency by 1% at worst.
I bought this car because it's supposed to be capable of getting 350 miles on a charge. I get that the EPA test conditions are not very realistic for most drivers, but for about 5 weeks now I stay under 60 mostly, always under 65. I am rarely in stop-n-go traffic, about 40% of drive is in town (traffic lights), and again - southern Texas - so no topography. Yet, I cannot get an average Wh/mi for just one charge cycle below 260.
So, what's the deal? Is something wrong with my car? Tesla support says my battery is healthy. Maybe it's not the battery? Could it be something else? Advice? Educate me, please?
In terms of impact of hot weather, especially very high temps like you've likely been seeing in Corpus Cristi.

First, HVAC will need to work harder to cool the interior of the car. There is only one source of energy in an electric vehicle ... the main battery. Any energy used to run the HVAC to cool the car will detract from range. This is no different than your home HVAC and electric bill, which I'm sure in weather that's running near 100F outside is running a lot more, and using more energy than if it were a balmy 75F outside. Energy use for HVAC in your car is no different. This also will be much greater impact if you are tending to take more short trips where each time you get in the HVAC needs to run harder to cool the cabin down initially.

Second, the car may also be needing to use the HVAC/cooling system to control battery temp more when it is very warm. That's especially true if you are doing long drives and multiple supercharging stops which tend to generate a lot of heat. Again, the energy for this comes from the main battery as the only source of power for the car, so again decreasing range.

I'm not sure about the 1% claim of the sales rep. There are a couple on-line route planners, EVTripplanner and ABetterRoutePlanner. These will let you play with ambient temps. I just looked at one trip across the midwest I was already planning for an upcoming trip (Indiana to KS). Changed the config to a standard Model 3 and played with sensitivity of ambient temp, keep a constant 72F interior temp. The estimated average Wh/mi in a Model 3 LR for my reference 600ish mile drive shows as:
inside temp = 72F, outside temp = 72 F, ave Wh/mi = 241
inside temp = 72F, outside temp = 85F, ave Wh/mi = 249 (about a 3% increase)
inside temp = 72 F, outside temp = 100F, ave Wh/mi = 259 (about a 7.5% increase)

Reactions: geordi
Upvote 0