Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WH/mile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DO NOT PUSH IT TO ZERO!!! That's really asking to be walking and have a damaged battery. Once you are below 20% the car is not supporting the 12v battery any longer, and if BOTH are drained, even being dropped off by a tow truck at a supercharger won't get you back from being bricked.

Good advice in general. However, edmunds did an elaborate study of multiple EVs and confirmed that Tesla has a decent safety buffer built in past zero - more so than other manufacturers. Tesla even confirmed the findings.

No one should plan on going past zero, but just know that once your car says battery is zero, it doesn't mean you have to panic.

Upvote 0
@Gkram - regarding your comments regarding how variable an electric cars efficiency can be and efficiency comparisons, without getting overly bogged done in gory details, here's one relatively simply to compare that actual energy efficiency.

This all is based upon looking at what the total energy content in a gallon of gasoline versus other energy sources. One good resource that helps provide some substance without getting too deep is data published by the Alternative Fuel Data Center.

They use a unit of GGE, or Gasoline Gallon Equivalent to equate what the energy content is for different fuel sources. GGE for gasoline is naturally 1.00, versus say pure ethanol at about 0.67 GCE (1 gal of ethanol equivalent of 0.67 gallons of gas) or 1 kWh of electricity being only 0.03 GGE, or it takes about 33 kWh of electricity to provide the same energy content of 1 gallon gasoline.

So for you example of a vehicle getting 32 mpg, flip that over and it's your consume 0.03125 gallon of fuel per mile traveled. Now if your use the 1 kWh = 0.03 GGE, what that say is that your 32 mpg vehicle is running at an equivalent consumption of (0.03125 gal/mile) / (0.03 GGE/kWh) = 1.042 kWh/mile, or in the units you're used to for your Model 3, a whopping 1,042 Wh/mi. Now do the number for your 26 mpg case and you'll end up at 0.0385 gal/mile which again at 0.03 GGE/kWh, you're at 1,282 Wh/mi!

Another way to look at this is the conditions which take your 32 mpg car to run at 26 mpg, is the equivalent of an increase of 240 Wh/mi. So while you may not feel like your MPG is changing as much as what your EV changes, that a false perception masked by the fact that about 2/3rds of the energy in your total consumed gasoline is going to waste heat and not actually doing anything to move your car. But when you look at the absolute magnitude of the energy increase you'll see it's actually not any different than your EV on the impact of vehicle speed or temperature driving higher HVAC energy use.

Or if you run the numbers in the other direction, your 400 Wh/mi consumption for an EV works out to be about 83 mpg equivalent energy use.
.... here's the general math ... 400 Wh/mi = 0.4 kWh/mi = 0.012 GGE/mile --> 1/0.012 = 83.3 mile/GGE or 83.3 MPGe (equivalent)
Wow @PCMc ! Thank you for that excellent response and solid, quantitative perspective. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I just purchased a 2020 S LR and so far it seems to be similar to my last car, getting in the mid 300 WH/ m. I have been shopping for a used S for a while now and every car I checked had upper 300 or low 400 WH/m shown. I don’t get how so many here can get WH/m in the mid 200’s.
I don't know the answer but here's my situation.
20221210_113740.jpg

Feb 2022 MSLR in SoCal. 50/50 between city/hwy. The AC is only used when passengers are in the car which is about 50% of the time. Normal driving for me does not include high acceleration or deceleration. Even if the crazy Los Angeles drivers are going 80 mph I still hardly ever exceed 70 mph. I think the ceramic coated PPF and the beautifull deep blue metalic color (cream interior) may have someting to do with Wh/mi 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: xxaarraa
Upvote 0
One thing: Have you had a 4-wheel alignment and possibly replaced the rear control arms? The camber setup from the factory is atrocious, if you get the car zeroed out properly, then the wheels won't be scrubbing against each other.

I just replaced my factory Goodyear Eagle tires (bought as delivery-only take-offs with 19" rims from a 2020 Model S) that gave me BARELY 40k miles of service and an average of around 340 Wh/mi.... With slightly smaller 235/45/19 Michelin Crossclimate2 tires. I haven't gotten the car aligned yet, but that is definitely on the menu for the near future b/c the shoulders of those Goodyear tires were GONE, first time in 30+ years that I've had cords showing on any tires! Still had at least 2/32 above the markers too. That's awful.

Upvote 0