Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh usages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Yesterday I confirmed my order for an all black P85D and now I'm on the waiting bench.
I've been reading alot on this forum and I found that driving a tesla means doing math alot, wich I like.
Who can help me with some numbers? I know all is relative with height and temp etc, well, I live in a
nearly flat part of the country and temps are moderate during winter and not too hot during summer.
In the winter, there aren't too many days we go below 30°f and during the summer temps mostly stay
between 68 and 75°F with an average between 64 and 68 during summer.
I would like to know the "average" usage at different speeds so I can keep myself happy calculating
Wh usage with my driving style.
What I would like are the wh at these speeds : 30-37-45-50-55-65-75-80-90 mph in close to similar conditions like mine.
This way I might be able to give myself some numbers that could help ease my fear for range anxiety wich is slowly growing when I try to think of my current driving style but then in the P85D
I drive a challenger srt8 at the moment and it's going away to make room for the tesla, so a 180° turn.
But at this moment, I still love to drive the challenger, I love to go fast when "safety" permits and I love to pull up fast whenever I have the chance. I own this car for 5 years and it's always been this way, so I'm sure it's not going to be all that different when I step into that electric demon....I just would like to know if it could get at least 160 miles of range with an 80% charged battery when I drive it like I stole it, because that's what I'm intended to do..

95% of my driving is during daytime so for the biggest part I don't go much over the speedlimit, but it's those where nobody is on the road,
I'm at this moment still not sure if I'm going to do much of those things in the Tesla because a big part of the fun now is the roar you hear and
feel in your back when you floor it, so with no sound in the Tesla, it might just not thrill me in the same way, on the other hand, the
extra hp could help me forget about that sound in no time.
I have to do a 130 mile trip twice a week (ok, for you US people, this sounds like nothing, but when you live in a country that's smaller than almost
every state in the US, this is a rather large commute.) and this is during semi heavy traffic so I guess I'll make it every time with plenty to spare

*edit* I also want to drive to spain with the Tesla, trough the sc route, but I'm going to get the P85D by the end of june if all goes well, so this means only a few days of playtime with the car. I'm not going to have enough confidence to drive it that far so early on. and I'm afraid that because it's so new it will be very hard to drive it conservative for +200 miles from sc to sc.

It really depends on what things are like on common drives. I live 1.7 mi from the state highway, where it is nearly impossible to get less than 400 Wh/mi because of turns and hills and other features. This makes short trips into town come out with a high average (mine is 355 Wh/mi over 45,000 miles; typically I average 320 Wh/mi at > 50 degF and about 380 Wh/mi in winter). I tend to be a more aggressive driver when it comes to acceleration, so that's figured in for me.

95% of my driving is during daytime so for the biggest part I don't go much over the speedlimit, but it's those where nobody is on the road,
I'm at this moment still not sure if I'm going to do much of those things in the Tesla because a big part of the fun now is the roar you hear and
feel in your back when you floor it, so with no sound in the Tesla, it might just not thrill me in the same way, on the other hand, the
extra hp could help me forget about that sound in no time.
I have to do a 130 mile trip twice a week (ok, for you US people, this sounds like nothing, but when you live in a country that's smaller than almost
every state in the US, this is a rather large commute.) and this is during semi heavy traffic so I guess I'll make it every time with plenty to spare

If that 130 mile trip is mostly highway and you stay around the speed limit then torque sleep will help you out. For reference, I drive mostly at or just above the speed limit (and sometimes drive spiritedly when I feel it's safe) and I think I average about 190 miles on 90% SOC. If I take it easy, I can do much better; on a road trip this weekend I took it easy and probably got about 250 miles on 100% SOC.

when you say "take it easy" is that driving at speed limit or way below?
Because for 200+ mile trips I fear this the most, having this awesome car that you
have to drive 20% under the speed limit all the time.
You have around 75kWh usable. Driving 120km/h/75mph (that's the highest speedlimit in Belgium, IIRC) you should average around 360-380Wh/mile at the most, so 200 miles seem doable (but may require a 100% charge).
Looking at the current supercharger map of Europe I'm somewhat optimistic that on most drives > 300km/190miles you should be able to route past a supercharger or at least a CHAdeMO...
So I don't think you'll need to drive below the speed limit under normal circumstances...