Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s an acceptable amount of vampire drain?

KL670

Feb 7, 2016
San Francisco
Lately I’ve noticed a much larger amount of vampire drain. Overnight it’d lose 15 miles easily. I also expect Tesla to tell me it’s normal. So what’s normal?

woodisgood

Slightly faster than 5mph
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
If Sentry Mode is on, around 1 mi/hr (maybe 0.8 is more accurate) would be considered normal.

If Sentry Mode AND cabin overheat protection are on on a hot, sunny day, 1-2 mi/hr drain would be normal.

Standby Mode for [Smart] Summon will also add to vampire losses. I don’t remember if it was enabled by default in v10...think it was. Definitely something to check.

If none of these are on and it is not freezing cold, car shouldn’t lose more than a mile or two the whole night.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Around 1 mile is normal. I was experiencing a lot more drain too, close to 15 miles. Here is the solution I found: Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)

Good catch on that "standby" mode that was enabled by default in V10. I am surprised tesla would auto enable an option like that without saying so. I turned it off after reading your other post when you made it, just on principle. I dont mind waiting extra time on using summon.

KL670

Feb 7, 2016
San Francisco
I’ll check on the standby mode. It’s getting ridiculous. My unscientific method of calculating is my car went from 277 to 177 on display after driving 52 miles. And the wh/mi during period was 221.

St☰v☰

Aug 27, 2019
Texas
I too was experiencing a big loss, ~12 miles per day. Sunday I rebooted the system, you know tweaking her steering nipples and turning her off :p, and since then things appear to be back to normal. So if you haven't already, I'd suggest a reboot of the system.

Go here: Extreme Vampire Drain

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC