Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s been your kWh usage over the year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SR+ LFP, 6 months old, 5900 miles driven, 1,838 kWh added (i.e. taken from electricity supply) equal to 311 Wh/Mile, lifetime when being driven is currentlt 263 Wh/Mile.
Better weather/temperatures ahead for the summer months so these figures are definitely worst case.

Reactions: Staypuffman
2022 Standard here, I don’t precisely track my energy usage but over just under 3k miles I have averaged 254wh/m as reported by the car. You’d need to add 10% charging losses and about 1% preheating losses to that.

Costs are also difficult to track as my split between public and home charging varies wildly month to month. In the last month I’ve charged at home 54%, super chargers 24% and on public AC 22% (mostly but not all were free).

You could use a 3rd party app to track it in fine detail but I’m not minded to do so.

SR+ LFP, 6 months old, 5900 miles driven, 1,838 kWh added (i.e. taken from electricity supply) equal to 311 Wh/Mile, lifetime when being driven is currently 263 Wh/Mile.
Better weather/temperatures ahead for the summer months so these figures are definitely worst case.
Woops! I used energy added and not energy used... My data should have been;

SR+ LFP, 6 months old, 5900 miles driven, 1,968 kWh used (i.e. taken from electricity supply) equal to 333 Wh/Mile, lifetime when being driven is currently 263 Wh/Mile. Therefore, charging efficiency compared to energy used is 333/265 = 25.7% overheads for when idle, charging and discharging, and ac to dc conversion as I 100% charge at home on 7 kW.

So if you drive 10,000 miles/year your energy usage would be ~ 10,000 x 0.333 kWh = 3,330 kWh and at 7.5 p/kWh (Octopus GO) x 3,330 kWh / 100 = £249.75/year

Woops! I used energy added and not energy used... My data should have been;
Isn't energy added the better metric though? "Energy used" for purely traction only is an irrelevant stat to me. I'd much rather see a total cost of ownership than reduce the stats by ~25% overheads. It's much more useful to know the overall total kWh consumed for all use of the car. When talking about MPG with an ICE car you don't separate out the times you run the engine to demist the windows before driving, or calculate the additional fuel use for AC while driving etc.

6 months ownership Model 3LR...5600 kilometers...138Wh per Km (222Wh per mile) but we are having a mild winter in the South of France, so we hardly ever use the cabin heater (the cabin heater uses a lot of energy...but the seat and steering wheel heater are very economical and the air conditioner is also economical)

Actually, energy added is what energy goes into the battery, whereas energy used is what is taken from the electricity supply. So energy used is like the total MPG used figure. I.e. you have to pay for the energy used and not the energy added to the battery.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I had it backwards then :)

I've only driven 700 miles in mine so far, so not quite up to speed with the correct wording.

Well I don't know the official Tesla terms, so I use the TeslaFi terms...

TeslaFi.jpg