Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s coming next in V11?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the cruz of it. You don't see any problem with the UX because you effectively don't use it. "It is a fine UX if you don't interact with it" is a brutal backhanded complement, delivered by you without realizing.

Nice straw man you've built there.
  1. I do use it extensively, I replaced the stock head unit with a CarPlay capable head unit for a reason. You want stone age and bad ui design check out the Head units Harley Davidson was using as recently as 2017.
  2. As I mentioned in subsequent posts. I've also used it quite a bit in several different cars as well, Just not my Model 3 for obvious reasons. so the motorcycle is where I use it daily it's not where I use it exclusively there's a difference.
The argument for CarPlay and the thing that's annoyed the crap out of me every time it's not available is everything I do on my car "infotainment" I already have setup on my phone Why duplicate this again on the car. I have my downloaded music I have my streaming services I have all my favourited locations added to google maps I have all my contacts. I have my messaging/sms apps ( Where group messaging works ) I have a proper voice assistant in Siri or Google. I don't have to pay for map updates which is the norm with pretty much every other car ( Seriously Thanks for being better Tesla ) Why in bloody hell would I want to hand over control of all that stuff that I already have on my phone and have to set up bits and pieces of it sync it incompletely on a vehicle by vehicle basis? When I can instead start an app on my head unit and have the exact same thing on every vehicle I drive with the same setting favourites and everything all exactly as I like every time no matter what vehicle I'm in.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
I don't think there is any arguing with him. He has clearly never seen CarPlay interface on a large screen where it doesn't interfere with other features, and that is probably the only logical argument he has outside of personal opinion. Hands down CarPlay offers more features and does it better then the Tesla. If they integrated it like the music app, where you could slide it up and it only takes a portion of the screen - this would be the perfect solution.

I don't think there is any arguing with him. He has clearly never seen CarPlay interface on a large screen where it doesn't interfere with other features, and that is probably the only logical argument he has outside of personal opinion. Hands down CarPlay offers more features and does it better then the Tesla. If they integrated it like the music app, where you could slide it up and it only takes a portion of the screen - this would be the perfect solution.

100%

Nice straw man you've built there.

I could have kept quoting, because it is the theme throughout. "on the cars I've driven with it I rarely leave [CarPlay]". This isn't viable in the Model 3. Unlike pretty much all other cars out there, the console screen is the interface. No rows of buttons, no 2nd console screen, no binnacle. The car's charging locations/network is integrated into the map,

Tesla's design decision way back pretty much locked them into this path for some time. The best they'll be able to do is cobble on a small PIP to sit awkwardly off in the corner. For the S and X, it wouldn't be nearly as bad but on the 3, ugg.
If they integrated it like the music app, where you could slide it up and it only takes a portion of the screen - this would be the perfect solution.
If turds were roses they wouldn't stink. The thing is if you're going through a huge amount of work to try shoehorn CP/AA (heaven help you if you did one without the other), hoping that apps people want follow along to support the boundaries you're pushing, then you're already doing a bunch of integration that instead might as well do it more natively to your UI.

A huge difference here is that Tesla has ongoing OTA updates, with significant features. In my opinion that's the biggest thing that CP and AA bring to cars, a tech info & map system that isn't frozen in time. But that's moot with a Tesla.
I don't think there is any arguing with him. He has clearly never seen CarPlay interface on a large screen where it doesn't interfere with other features
Instead of the Mean Girls side talking how about spitting out a name?

I could have kept quoting, because it is the theme throughout. "on the cars I've driven with it I rarely leave [CarPlay]". This isn't viable in the Model 3. Unlike pretty much all other cars out there, the console screen is the interface. No rows of buttons, no 2nd console screen, no binnacle. The car's charging locations/network is integrated into the map,

Tesla's design decision way back pretty much locked them into this path for some time. The best they'll be able to do is cobble on a small PIP to sit awkwardly off in the corner. For the S and X, it wouldn't be nearly as bad but on the 3, ugg.

Incorrect there's no longer anything preventing from CarPlay running in a window so Tesla can have it float like the Media player with the control bar at the bottom and the car info on the left

If turds were roses they wouldn't stink. The thing is if you're going through a huge amount of work to try shoehorn CP/AA (heaven help you if you did one without the other), hoping that apps people want follow along to support the boundaries you're pushing, then you're already doing a bunch of integration that instead might as well do it more natively to your UI.

Again incorrect. The implementation of CarPlay is relatively simple. It can exist with their own implementations giving users choice instead of taking away said choice. I chose to have closer integration between my phone and infotainment, you don't.

If CarPlay and AA are there you always have the choice to not use them. So it's no skin off your nose. I simply don't get why people chose to argue against choice. Especially when given the grand scheme of things implementing CarPlay and/or AA is literally one of the simplest 3rd party integrations you can do from a software perspective.

A huge difference here is that Tesla has ongoing OTA updates, with significant features. In my opinion that's the biggest thing that CP and AA bring to cars, a tech info & map system that isn't frozen in time. But that's moot with a Tesla.

Instead of the Mean Girls side talking how about spitting out a name?

Except in this arena Tesla is falling into part of the same trap of the legacy automakers. Yes they put out OTA updates and that's great, I'm appreciative of every feature they add. But because they think they're the experts in everything and can do everything themselves often basic features take an inordinate amount of time. For example we just got SMS support in December. And it's pretty sub par at least compared to Message support in CP or AA and totally useless if you primarily use a non SMS messaging system like What'sApp or Signal or something you're SoL while you'd be perfectly served if they implemented AA or CP. Again I literally don't see any reason to argue against it. Clearly some people want it and for those that don't absolutely nobody is forcing you to use it.

Really you don't have any objective points here. You have a list of opinions and preferences that you're 100% entitled to but you're presenting them as objective truths that everyone else should agree with and they aren't.

I've laid out the reasons I want CarPlay as have many others. The interface and functionality fill a need for me that the current Tesla infotainment doesn't. End of story

How does your preference which again if they had the feature and you chose to not use it would be 100% invisible to you outweigh the preference of others who would derive use or enjoyment from CP/AA?

Last edited:
Reactions: AC2DC and adrianp89
I would also argue the best thing CP/AA bring to the table is expanded music options, but thats personal preference.

True. Another thing I really like with CP is how much more I can do with voice interaction than I'm able to do with native Tesla UI. It leads to less distracted driving for me. One more thing I like is the clarity of navigation, both visually and aurally.

Reactions: CMoZ and adrianp89
BWHAHAHAHA
Ok?? I'm not talking about in my basement genius. I'm a software engineer, I worked with a startup that was planning on selling an off the shelf car computer to compete with the established Head Unit companies when that was still vaguely interesting and they wanted CarPlay support. Project ended up getting shelved but Implementing CarPlay is literally the easiest part.

• Helpful
Reactions: adrianp89
Ram, 12.1" screen.
...and there it is, with a pile of buttons in support, and everything else I'm talking about. Same crap, prettier pile.
How does your preference which again if they had the feature and you chose to not use it would be 100% invisible to you outweigh the preference of others who would derive use or enjoyment from CP/AA?
It isn't my preference. It is Tesla's. I'm trying to explain why they don't want to spend their resources on this. Why they're instead putting the effort into more direct integration with the phones. No easy task, to be sure, but control of their UX destiny for full customer experience purposes.

This isn't my first rodeo, for example I've seen all these same arguments (with different specifics but the same form) before about how Apple products suck because of this same ethos. And for a slice of customers that is true, however ultimately in the wider sense it not so true if they've got to chops to bring together a full product. Integration top to bottom, software and hardware. Ultimately a better, more polished product for the general public.

Last edited:
Ok?? I'm not talking about in my basement genius. I'm a software engineer, I worked with a startup that was planning on selling an off the shelf car computer to compete with the established Head Unit companies when that was still vaguely interesting and they wanted CarPlay support. Project ended up getting shelved but Implementing CarPlay is literally the easiest part.

Maybe you should apply for a job at VW, because apparently they are having problems getting CP/AA on their ID.3:

While the ID 3’s launch has been delayed by persistent software problems, VW has decided to release the car without various features, including the App Connect function used to run Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Early adopters will also temporarily go without some functions of the augmented reality head-up display. Both will be restored with a software update as soon as engineers are confident the new car’s E3 electrical system is able to reliably support them.

...and there it is, with a pile of buttons in support, and everything else. Same crap, prettier pile.

Because that's how RAM designed it that's their decision and design not something inherent to CarPlay, Tesla would do it Differently, Ford might do it differently, BMW might do it differently.

Despite popular belief
- You can layer interface OVER the CarPlay Interface, just nobody done that yet that I know of
- You do not have to be fullscreen
- Literally it's an App on the car infotainment system

It isn't my preference. It is Tesla's. I'm trying to explain why they don't want to spend their resources on this. Why they're instead putting the effort into more direct integration with the phones. No easy task, to be sure, but control of their UX destiny for full customer experience purposes. This isn't my first rodeo, I've seen all these same arguments before about how Apple products suck because of this ethos. And for a slice of customers that is true, however ultimately in the wider sense it less true than not if they've got to chops to bring together a full product. Integration top to bottom, software and hardware.

That's interesting how long did you work at Tesla? Because they've never really taken a stance like that. In fact the only things they've historically said are separate statements long ago about how they'd eventually open up the OS to 3rd party apps, and then he shifted again and said they'd mirror phones, then he shifted again and said well nothing would change until we're on a unified interface across the vehicles a “consistent platform.” Neither Elon or Tesla has ruled out CarPlay/Android auto. in fact the mere suggestion of mirroring phones to the display actually shifts things in the direction of yes rather than no.

For all you know they're working on it. It took them 3 years to get basic messaging working, CarPlay might be V11 or V12 for all you know or it might be never. Point is you have no idea what Teslas "preference" is

Maybe you should apply for a job at VW, because apparently they are having problems getting CP/AA on their ID.3:
Haha Never I spent a few years working on VW's they have a way of convoluting the simplest systems in the world. Never again. Also it really depends on what they're trying to do with it. Basic integration ( eg the whole infotainment portion, Viewport, audio etc) is dead simple. Once you start doing things like trying to tie it into other Vehicle systems which I assume they're doing it gets more complicated because it no-longer just like a secure remote desktop into your phone.

Also I like my current job and I don't mix my Job and Cars anymore. I can actually decompress working on the car instead of thinking about work

... Tesla would do it Differently,....
Indeed they did. And they didn't use CP/AA because that would get in the way of having it not look & work like ass. That and having to wait on CP/AA (Tesla is out on the front edge here in vehicle computer UX), effectively putting their base UX in someone else's hands, building on someone else's stack, is a very, very dangerous proposition when what you're building is so very core to your product's value. Another key difference from how the math works for other vehicle manufacturers.
That's interesting how long did you work at Tesla? Because they've never really taken a stance like that.
Not explicitly publicly. They don't really need to. Whether or not they explicitly state it that way doesn't change what the outcome has been nor the fundamentals.

Indeed they did. And they didn't use CP/AA because that would get in the way of having it not look & work like ass.

Not explicitly publicly. They don't really need to. Whether or not they explicitly state it that way doesn't change what the outcome has been nor the fundamentals.

That's an opinion tainted by hindsight, the same could be said of anything they've added prior to them adding it. And there's no "fundamentals" here. CP/AA can be placed in the interface without disrupting the UI at all for anyone who doesn't use it. As more and more peoples premium connectivity expires I suspect the pressure to support CP/AA will only increase as people start questioning wether they want to pay for connectivity on their car when they already have it on their phone. That or Tesla will have to greatly improve the tethering experience.

• Love
Reactions: run-the-joules
That's an opinion tainted by hindsight,
That's been my couple of decades worth of software industry experience making the assessment for years now. Nothing "hindsight" about it. And whether or not it is "hindsight" for that Tesla insider or not doesn't really matter, it just is what it is from the inside (as covered already, recruiters inherently know what kinds of experience they're expected to hire for so they are going to be privy to such directions, especially ones that are rather obvious from the outside....your insistence otherwise notwithstanding).

Your "it's easy, I've done it myself" lays bare just how little you actually understand about putting a consumer product together, the polish that befits and ultimately that demands, and the complicated [and strategic] nature of a fluid UX.

As more and more peoples premium connectivity expires I suspect the pressure to support CP/AA will only increase as people start questioning wether they want to pay for connectivity on their car when they already have it on their phone.
Running out of the 6 month freebie that covers some of the features will result in very easily ignored "pressure" given the features are still there, are regularly improving, and only a subset require the [readily purchasable, low cost] data plan. There's what, close to 1/2 million vehicles that fall into that category already and Tesla shows no sign of even acknowledging the CP/AA noise much less worrying about it.