Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all. Parked at the airport an hour ago at 64%. Check the Tesla app now and see it at 61% and it’s fluctuating between 61 and 62% as I look at the app. What’s going on? Why did it kill 3% of my battery in an hour? Sentury mode and cabin overheat are off. I’m baffled

Okay but you didn’t answer my question. I checked it for the first time after parking and saw it dropped from 64 to 61.

Either because the battery got warmer or colder, or because it had not gone to sleep yet because it was uploading / downloading data etc. it can take an hour or more for the car to go asleep if its doing something.

You checking it after an hour ensured if it was asleep it would have woken up. At best you should check "daily" after a 24 hour period.

Reactions: CaseyL
Okay but you didn’t answer my question. I checked it for the first time after parking and saw it dropped from 64 to 61.

Some of that change is probably not "real". That SOC percentage is the best estimate at that moment. The estimate often changes, especially right after a charging session or a drive.

In your case, it may be a one-time readjustment.

My car charges to 60% every morning at 4:00. Within 30 minutss of being charged it drops to 58% or 57%. I drive 24 miles to work and arrive with about 50%. Within 30 minutes, my SOC gains about 2%, rising to 52%. It will stay there all day. I've gotten used to it as a normal thing.

I use Teslafi. That way I can look at these things later and let the car sleep instead of waking it up with the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexo09
@CaseyL hit it on the head, it’s normal, usually it will go up or down one or 2 percent once it goes to sleep and does whatever it does, especially after a charging session. I even remember it going up 3% once after I charged at a destination charger and then left it unplugged overnight.

If Sentry Mode is off and you don’t check the app every half hour, you might lose 1 or 2 more percent per week at most after this point.

Ancient Alien Theorists predicted this might happen while ruminating on ancient Aztec carvings of the Model Y thousands of years before they actually appeared. Ancient Alien Theorists believe that extraterrestrial visitors must have left the plans for the Model Y on earth for Elon Musk millenia before his birth, just so that this 2-3% fluctuation could prove that Einstein was correct about his theory of Tesla Range Anxiety. This allows the extraterrestrials to refuel their invisible flying saucers with 2-3% of the charge on every Tesla they encounter, through a reverse electrostatic osmosis process, and get away with it with no questions. See, they didn't leave the Model Y plans with the Aztecs so that humanity could develop efficient cars, they left the plans so they could have easy to access fuel stations in every driveway. At least, that's what the Ancient Alien Theorists hypothisize what might be one possible explanation for this unexplainable phenomenon.

-sorry. You'll never guess what's on while I type this...

Last edited:
It often uses 1-2% after a bit of driving, if not plugged in. Cooling the battery, running various fans, talking to the mothership, etc. Once it goes to sleep your drain will be much lower. Don't worry about it, and try not to check more than once a day.